Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI Fuse Keeps Tripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MMI Fuse Keeps Tripping

Has anyone experienced an issue with the MMI screen fuse tripping repeatedly? Recently, I noticed the nav screen would not turn on. I checked the fuse and it was tripped, so I replaced it. Every time I turn off the car and the screen detracts into the dash, the fuse trips again. It doesn't happen when turning on, only when turning off and retracting. I did replace the interior dome lights with LEDs recently, but I have kept the lights off while turning off the car and the fuse still trips, which leads me to believe it's unrelated.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Adding vehicle details - 2012 a6 premium plus
Old 08-17-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

It sounds like either something is shorting out when the screen retracts or there is a current overdraw of some sort upon retraction. Just to be sure it is not related to the replacement LEDs I would put the OEM lights back in and see if the problem still occurs. Process of elimination.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the suggestion. It definitely seems like a short circuit with the screen motor based on the timing. I also tried replacing the fuse with a higher amperage fuse and it still trips even up to 30 amps. Seems very likely it would be shorting out on something. I took the LEDs out of the sockets to test and it was still happening.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by waterskip
Thanks for the suggestion. It definitely seems like a short circuit with the screen motor based on the timing. I also tried replacing the fuse with a higher amperage fuse and it still trips even up to 30 amps. Seems very likely it would be shorting out on something. I took the LEDs out of the sockets to test and it was still happening.
Based on that my guess, and it is just a guess, is excessive current draw from the motor or motorization circuit for the MMI. Best of luck with the endeavor.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You were very lucky, putting in a 30 amp fuse would likely smoke the wire harness long before the fuse blows. $4000 to replace the harness because of a lack of knowledge. You may do better, and cheaper, to have the diagnostics done by someone who understands ohms law.
The following users liked this post:
PofC (12-27-2023)
Old 08-17-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
It sounds like either something is shorting out when the screen retracts
I agree with this. Something is rubbing on the wire(s) when the screen retracts causing a direct short circuit to ground. Remove the screen and check the wiring. The screen looks pretty much contained so the abrasion would be more likely inside the unit.

Last edited by tenspeed; 08-17-2017 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PofC (12-27-2023)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for providing those pictures. Do you know how difficult it is to remove the screen? I'm assuming the dash has to come apart...
Old 08-18-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Found a youtube video on it
. Will check out the unit to see what's going on. One of the wires must be exposed and when the screen retracts into a certain spot it shorts.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for providing those pictures. Do you know how difficult it is to remove the screen? I'm assuming the dash has to come apart...
From the pictures, it looks like the trim comes off to expose a couple of screws. Give that a try and if it's not loose, dig a little deeper. Take a picture before unplugging the wires so you know what goes where and how the wires are run behind the screen.

Quick Reply: MMI Fuse Keeps Tripping