Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI mechanism noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default MMI mechanism noise

I know that this is an old issue but all the threads that I have read seem to be old which implies that it may no longer be an issue:
My MMI screen makes a creaky noise when raising, I'm not too concerned as it's under warranty but is this still a common issue or has Audi changed its design? The plastic to metal gears seem like a good option but you have to take half the dash apart to do the swap.

Secondly, there has been much discussion regarding either keeping the screen up or down all of the time or at least making it selectable. Has this ever been accomplished?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

My MY2013 has never made a "creaky" noise when raising or lowering. Just sort of a faint hum from the motor when operating.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My MMI makes a creaky noise when lowering. Sounds as something is rubbing against (more like rubber against metal) - I will have them look at it the next time I am at the dealer.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The only time that the screen is down is when I'm not in the car so it seems that it would be a good idea to make it selectable as to whether or not you would want it "automatic retract", "stay up" or "stay down".

The elimination or the constant up and down would sure improve its reliability.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hear a creaking noise too in extreme cold weather. Although it is a nice feature (and it sure hides nicely), I bet that every single one of those screens will break at some point.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

My 2015 doesn't make any noise so maybe they fixed the issue.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have never heard any unusual sounds with my 2013 A6’s MMI screen. Occasionally it does not come up when I start the car (like once a year) and I restart the engine and it comes up. Other than that, no issues. I recall when taking delivery of the car I asked the salesman if there was a way to keep the screen in one position (up or down) to minimize wear. He said not to worry because the same mechanism had been used in the A8 for many years at that point (Dec. ‘12) and was "bulletproof". He added, that since I was leasing the car it would be under warranty the whole time I had it and would be fixed at no cost if there was an issue.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I looked at mine carefully and I think I see some vibration correlated with the noise. Will have the service department look at it one of these days.

I also have a problem with the MMI screen not wanting to rise when the car is started - not exactly sure what triggers that but like you if you restart it comes up. Maybe once every two months.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by oceanengineer
I also have a problem with the MMI screen not wanting to rise when the car is started - not exactly sure what triggers that but like you if you restart it comes up. Maybe once every two months.
Same here. I believe it's a feature to see if we are paying attention.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Same here. I believe it's a feature to see if we are paying attention.
I have my own idea of when the MMI careen does not pop up when starting the engine. With the push button starter, I sometimes hit it rather lightly, but the engine does start. These are the times (if remember correctly) that the screen fails to come up. If I make a deliberate, firm effort to push the start button the screen pops right up. I think that maybe a brief tap gives the power to the engine starting circuit, but if you release too quickly the screen-lifting circuit does not get the message. Could be wrong, but it seems that way.

Quick Reply: MMI mechanism noise