Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI Upadate word of warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MMI Upadate word of warning

So i have a 2012 Prestige with all the goodies innovation and just about everything offered short of the B & O System. So i took my car in to have the updated p566 software release along with some TSB stuff, Telephone microphone and intermittent although lately almost daily MMI shutting down and restarting on its own. Had the car most of the week and told me today they have to order a new controller $3000.00 from Audi because they have no units availble in the states. They did give me my car back and i noticed the update to the mmi system (po566). Now the car is not completed but i can now turn my cd's and Ipod up to the highest volume setting and it is somewhat loud. All the audio controls are oppostite with no left right front back, if you adjust front it adjust rear. No treble or bass just one setting. I am hoping someone else had this issue and can tell me if Audi figured the audio out. I noticed a differnt sound even when someone calls me on the bluetooth phone. I am sure Audi will make it right but now thru the holidays i have a A6 that is more like a chevy cavalier
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so what's the point? You know the system is broken, you know they have new computer on order, you know the car will be fixed. So what the hell are you bitching about? The broken system acts like a broken system? Duh.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Okay, so what's the point? You know the system is broken, you know they have new computer on order, you know the car will be fixed. So what the hell are you bitching about? The broken system acts like a broken system? Duh.
Dude besides you being a jerk off in most of your smart *** replys on this site, it is a warning that sometimes upgrades might not be the best route if your system is currently working. If i need to word this another way ask me. Leave your smart *** replys for your boyfriend or something like that

Does that help with the point?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@dougpaper, sometimes you try to help others, and people in this forum have to go out of their way to show how unhappy they are in life; I imagine he's probably lonely and not well-liked. Couple others in this forum like that who think they know everything about Audi, guess you have to just ignore them.

I also have a 2012 Prestige, I recently brought mine in for the 5K and asked if they could update the MMI (to P0566) so I could get Google Street View. I got a call later in the day from my service advisor telling me the technician completely advised against it, said something about different modules between 2012 and 2013, and the update would likely cause problems with my MMI. At first I wasn't sure what to believe since it seems some people here with 2012 had it successfully done, but I'm starting to believe that's probably the case. The technician also said he doesn't understand why other dealers are doing the update for 2012's when it's not a required update for our MY, but it would be for 2013.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcar11
I also have a 2012 Prestige, I recently brought mine in for the 5K and asked if they could update the MMI (to P0566) so I could get Google Street View. I got a call later in the day from my service advisor telling me the technician completely advised against it, said something about different modules between 2012 and 2013, and the update would likely cause problems with my MMI. At first I wasn't sure what to believe since it seems some people here with 2012 had it successfully done, but I'm starting to believe that's probably the case. The technician also said he doesn't understand why other dealers are doing the update for 2012's when it's not a required update for our MY, but it would be for 2013.
Yes, electronics can sometimes be finicky.

Just to let you know, I have a US spec A6 and I live in England. I removed my whole MMI head unit and radio unit and sent it off to NaviService in Poland and they reflashed my whole system to European UK spec. I wanted to be able to use all of the toys the car came with so that why I did it. I now have a US car with European maps. Everything is working flawlessly...well I did have an issue with online destinations through the my Audi website (same problem that snagitseven had), but that was an Audi website issue, not a problem with my car. That is fixed now and everything is great! So, it is sort of a hit or miss type thing with updates/reflashes.

One thing that I thought was really cool, when using Google Earth and street view, is that it now shows a streetview picture of my destination as I get closer to it. See the pic...
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a neat feature on the Google Earth...anyone know if US-based maps does the same?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

FWIW, the software update that 2012 A6 owners, in the U.S. at least, have been receiving is K0566. The 2013 A6's have come from the factory with P0566. Not exactly the same and would seem to account for the different model years and feature differences.
Now, the latest 2013 model appears to be including K0609. What has been reported is this version includes possible changes in the behavior of the auto emergency brake and the open door engine off "feature".

I suppose, like any computer, there can be an issue when software/firmware revisions are applied. Usually, a reload of the software will correct any problems, again, just like any computer. In the case of the OP, I'm guessing the software update wasn't the sole cause of a control module failure; the OP reported he was having problems beforehand. Or perhaps the dealer did something incorrectly during the update. It would be difficult to know for sure.

I had an issue whereby the dealer cleared and reloaded my MMI software several times to correct an issue (and, as it turned out, unrelated and unnecessary). The only negative result was I had to reset all my preferences in the MMI. The dealer has also updated the steering module and convenience modules per factory dictated updates, all with no ill effects.

My point is, I believe an appropriate MMI software update is no more dangerous than doing so in a laptop, Sure, a problem can occur but it would likely be an anomaly. In any case, just like with my non-car computers, I usually wait awhile for others to try it first. If the majority have no issues, I then do mine.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeking
That's a neat feature on the Google Earth...anyone know if US-based maps does the same?
Don't think so. I've tried it several times but I don't see a photo of the destination on the route info. (I do have Street View).
Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks dougpaper. The warning was useful to me. My P0487 is working fine but I was contemplating getting it updated for street view. I will definitely hold off if there are some bugs though. I'm probably not going to get Audi Connect after my trial anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

I know you have the Bose and I just have the standard system, but just curious what volume you listen at? I put mine at 9 and that's comfortable.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
Thanks dougpaper. The warning was useful to me. My P0487 is working fine but I was contemplating getting it updated for street view. I will definitely hold off if there are some bugs though. I'm probably not going to get Audi Connect after my trial anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

I know you have the Bose and I just have the standard system, but just curious what volume you listen at? I put mine at 9 and that's comfortable.
Usually 9 is fairly comfortable

Quick Reply: MMI Upadate word of warning