Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motion sensor trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone whose trunks opens take a picture under the rear bumper and see if the sensor can be seen.

Mine doesn't work and I can't find any sensor under the bumper when I look for it.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a new Prestige and it has it. The sensor beam must be microscopic...I have gotten it to work once in many tries.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have it on my 2014 S7.

I only have a 50% success rate trying. I need more practice.

I cannot find a separate sensor, is it tied to the rear-view camera or the bumper sensor?

Time to dance behind my car again!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrewBallVin
I have it on my 2014 S7.

I only have a 50% success rate trying. I need more practice.

I cannot find a separate sensor, is it tied to the rear-view camera or the bumper sensor?

Time to dance behind my car again!
I believe it's tied to several factors: the day of the week and time of day, weather, weight and quantity of held packages and the color of your socks. It can also sense your mood.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ScrewBallVin
I confess to wondering the same thing - perhaps it can be coded in or out... If mere mention of the hokey pokey didn't send snagitseven into spasms I might ask him what his dealer did to disable his errant sensor. . This might also mean the effectiveness could relate to software versions....
Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gotten to nearly a 100% success rate. I put my foot under the center of the license plate, hold it for a moment , then remove it. Then I wait. I have found it will take a few seconds for the trunk to release but for me doing this always works. At first I believe I wasn't waiting long enough and was sticking my foot back under causing it not to work at all. Give it time to release.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I confess to wondering the same thing - perhaps it can be coded in or out... If mere mention of the hokey pokey didn't send snagitseven into spasms I might ask him what his dealer did to disable his errant sensor. . This might also mean the effectiveness could relate to software versions....
I never asked - the dealer either performed some coding change or simply disconnected a wire to the sensor. I doubt an MMI software version has anything to do with it. I had 0566 (when it worked (kind of) on my 2013, 0609 was introduced with late year 2013 and 2014 models and I'm now updated to 0715.

I've not come across a VCDS coding to activate or disable the function but I admit I didn't look too hard. I can push the trunk lid button and it opens immediately - no fooling around with my foot or waiting for seconds to pass. If my hands are full and I can't set stuff down, I just have my wife push the lid button - works every time.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I never asked - the dealer either performed some coding change or simply disconnected a wire to the sensor. I doubt an MMI software version has anything to do with it. I had 0566 (when it worked (kind of) on my 2013, 0609 was introduced with late year 2013 and 2014 models and I'm now updated to 0715.
I just meant the MMI s/w version might impact the degree of functionality (or lack thereof) if the kicker were truly a software function using existing sensors. If it is s/w and if Audi is improving the algorithm then *maybe* some folks are having more "luck" because the algorithm is better....

Heck, I'm just speculating wildly here!

If my hands are full and I can't set stuff down, I just have my wife push the lid button - works every time.
Man, my wife hates it when I store her in the trunk to be available in case I'm out somewhere with my hands full
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Man, my wife hates it when I store her in the trunk to be available in case I'm out somewhere with my hands full
My wife is only 5'5" and has her iPad and a bag of pita chips to keep her happy so no problem here. She only gets a bit cranky on long road trips unless I stop frequently to let her out so she can stretch her legs.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My wife is only 5'5" and has her iPad and a bag of pita chips to keep her happy so no problem here. She only gets a bit cranky on long road trips unless I stop frequently to let her out so she can stretch her legs.

Wow, see I learn something every time I come to AW! Pita chips - I knew there had to be secret!!!!

Quick Reply: Motion sensor trunk release