Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My Brakes Suck

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Brakes Suck

and seem to be getting worse....

1) Whenever I stop and change direction (like back-up), the brake pads clunk. I shift to forward and brake, clunk.

2) When I creep forward they growl. Really annoying.

3) When I turn sharpely (like into a parking spot), and brake they growl and clunk.

4) The pedal feel sucks.

5) When I depress the brake pedal, slowly, there is a slight creak felt through the pedal itself.

Any sympathizers out there?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg

I have an A7 but don't have any of the issues you describe.

You need to take your car in for service asap.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
I have an A7 but don't have any of the issues you describe.

You need to take your car in for service asap.
Thanks for the reply
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
and seem to be getting worse....

1) Whenever I stop and change direction (like back-up), the brake pads clunk. I shift to forward and brake, clunk.

2) When I creep forward they growl. Really annoying.

3) When I turn sharpely (like into a parking spot), and brake they growl and clunk.

4) The pedal feel sucks.

5) When I depress the brake pedal, slowly, there is a slight creak felt through the pedal itself.

Dude, I have exactly the same issue. I have had grinding noise from the day one. It makes noise when you apply brakes at slow speed. I also have the clunking noise when changing direction (i.e. forward-stop-reverse-stop-forward). I talked to my dealer they said that this is a common issue with audi vehicles. The clunking noise that you are mentioning here is a pad shift. They shift within the caliper. They dealer said there is nothing that they can do besides replacing brakes. This sucks I know. But it wont hurt to bring this issue up with your dealer. Maybe they will say something different. Let us know.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

2012 Prestige A6 - brake feel is mushy but I have none of the other problems
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am having similar issues with my brakes too and they have been this way for a while.

My brakes sometimes feel mushy and I find myself having to push them all the way to the floor to feel comfortable in a stop.

There is also a clunk/grinding noise sometimes, which makes you think it "metal on metal" and it's time for new brakes.

However, its not like that all time and for the most part the brakes work without issue. My car is currently in the shop and I do not have a verdict back on the brakes as they are trying to figure out my passenger seat airbag debacle.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brakes starting this clunking sound after I had them replaced at a non-dealership place. I asked the dealer to look at it and they said it was due to some adhesive no being applied when the brake pads were replaced. They say it's not a safety concern, just an annoying noise.
It seems to do it less and less and only when going very slow like backing out of a parking space.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From day one I had problems with my wheel bearings (car broke down 2 miles after I paid for it) and the brake problems you described I always had. During one long trip,I thought they failed when I was coming to a stop sign, I actually pushed the brake pedal to the floor, and funny they got better after that. I still would have the mushy feeling every once and I while and still was worried the car wouldn't stop well. But I can tell you after 4,000 miles they are almost perfect. You should get yours checked out for safety reasons, but I will say the brakes improved with age.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My brakes make the same annoying noises. if the radio is off you can hear the grinding and clunking. My car now has 20,000 i will mention on next service. They work fine just make alot of noise.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbob
I will say the brakes improved with age.
Kind of like a fine wine, heh?

IMO If there was only one thing that Audi could have done better with the C7, it's the brakes. While I wouldn't say they "suck", they could certainly have used previous models, which were better on my Audis, as the benchmark. My A6 stops just fine but the pedal feel, initial pedal travel and linearity could certainly be improved. I wouldn't be surprised to see revisions in the 2014 models as I think there are too many comments from owners and reviewers for Audi to ignore.

BTW, I drove a 2013 A7 loaner last week while my car was in for the 5K service and the brake pedal feel was quite a bit better than my A6. I asked the dealer to check mine out and you can guess what they said: "The brakes are working normally and no problem was found". Wow. What a surprise.

Quick Reply: My Brakes Suck