Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Mysterious squeaks, rattles, and thumps...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious squeaks, rattles, and thumps...

In another post titled "Complete computer shut down" I explained that another issue I have with my A6 is with a mysterious thumping/rattle sound coming from the front right of the car. Originally I told the dealer about it when I took it in for the 5K service. A mechanic rode with me and heard the noise. But later they said that they couldn't find anything wrong and to bring it back in if the noise became worse. When I took my car in again, for the computer module replacement, I complained again about the noise and that it was becoming louder and more frequent. It is very noticeable at slow speeds and over certain bumps. Again I was told that they couldn't find what was causing the issue but sent out a note to Audi about it. A couple weeks later the noise was just as bad, plus another noise developed where every time I turn the car to the left, at slow speeds, I hear a squeaking sound. I then contacted Audi of America and they said that they'd investigate my issues and would contact the dealer. A couple days later AOA called and told me to take it back so that it could be looked at again. So I took the car in this past Monday and another mechanic rode with me, hearing both noises. Later that day I was called and told that Audi had put out a bulletin about noises that are caused by brake caliber pins. They ordered the pins and installed and, of course, that wasn't the issue. Today I was called by the dealer and told that they ordered two axles from Germany and want to replace my current axles! This will take 7-10 days, plus another 2 for the work to be done. When I picked my car up, I told the service person that they can try to fix it this last time, but if it still isn't fixed, I expect a long chat with the service manager about the lemon law and getting either a new vehicle, or some compensation. And Audi of America will be getting another phone call tomorrow.

So if any of you have weird noises, get them checked out right away.

I'll be posting an update once the next step is done.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

pretty interesting, the other day i notice some weird coming from the dash on the driver side as I was slowly backing up into my garage. its some thumbing noise, i took the car for a quick road test the next day, turned off my music and just try to see if there was anything, i tried backing up, going in reverse, turning left and right and i couldnt duplicate the noise again and has been back since. I will monitor this, keep us posted!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Parts finally came in and got my car back. So they didn't replace the axles as I was originally told. Instead the wishbone arms on the passenger side were replaced. The service manager told me that this is a common problem among A6 models and that Audi has a bulletin out about it. These new parts did fix the rattling/thumping noise, however, the squeaking noise when I turn the car is still there. The manager said that it's most likely the wheel bearings and that they can't do anything about it and that noise is normal for Audi's. I don't buy it but I didn't want to argue with him anymore. I'll give an update to Audi of America when they call me tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HillyG
Parts finally came in and got my car back. So they didn't replace the axles as I was originally told. Instead the wishbone arms on the passenger side were replaced. The service manager told me that this is a common problem among A6 models and that Audi has a bulletin out about it. These new parts did fix the rattling/thumping noise, however, the squeaking noise when I turn the car is still there. The manager said that it's most likely the wheel bearings and that they can't do anything about it and that noise is normal for Audi's. I don't buy it but I didn't want to argue with him anymore. I'll give an update to Audi of America when they call me tomorrow and see what they say.
I have that see noise now for about 2 months. I was one of the first adopters of the 2012. The Service lead service tech told me they had this same issue and couldn't figure out before untill they found a brace in the car that some engine fluid is attached to that needed to be tightened or something.
It s a noise that occurs when going up a driveway at an angle. It sound like interior dash plastic molding rubbing against itself. I thought it was an interior problem but was told it was engine compartment issue. Your fix sound more reasonable.
Which dealer fixed yours so my dealer can call them if its not this easy fix.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also an early adopter of '12 C7. I have had a humming noise since the day one. I hear during low speed (5-15mph). At the beginning i thought it was due to tires. Now i changed the tires the noise is still there. I thought it is a normal type of noise for this car as you know there is complex quattro. Does anyone have this as well? Is it comletely quite at low speed?

Last edited by salvadorik; 01-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

my thumbing noise sounds like its coming from the driver side in the engine, and i have only notice this while i am backing up into my drive way.

if i dont get this fix will this harm the car?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few rattles here and there. Speaker covers and my sunroof visor.

My last A4 was rock solid.

I've yet to have any A6 that didn't have some rattles, or a few things that needed sorting out.

Very reliable with all the electronics and no major issues.

Just nuisance stuff.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
I have that see noise now for about 2 months. I was one of the first adopters of the 2012. The Service lead service tech told me they had this same issue and couldn't figure out before untill they found a brace in the car that some engine fluid is attached to that needed to be tightened or something.
It s a noise that occurs when going up a driveway at an angle. It sound like interior dash plastic molding rubbing against itself. I thought it was an interior problem but was told it was engine compartment issue. Your fix sound more reasonable.
Which dealer fixed yours so my dealer can call them if its not this easy fix.
Keyes Audi in Vany Nuys CA.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAMAZING
my thumbing noise sounds like its coming from the driver side in the engine, and i have only notice this while i am backing up into my drive way.

if i dont get this fix will this harm the car?
I would definitely take the car in and have one of the mechanics ride with you when you try to recreate the issue. I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same issue I was, but it's worth looking into.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So after taking my car to Keyes Audi four times, which was added up to eight days, and them not being able to diagnose the squeaking/thumping noises, I finally took my A6 to the dealership in Pasadena. Again they had someone ride along to listen to the noise, which he heard within the first :15 of the ride. The next day they called and said it was fixed. Of course I was weary of believing them. I picked up the vehicle and it was fixed! No noises. They gave me an invoice that listed all the steps they took to figure it out. Basically they ended up taking apart part of the suspension, which I thought was the problem all along, and torqued the sway bars, cleaned sway bar bushings, and torqued sway bar links. So apparently they were loose on the right side of the car and that was what was causing the noises. I called the service manager at the original dealership and had a long talk with him. I also complained to Audi of America about it. They are suppose to call me back early next week. I'm just very frustrated that one dealership had my car eight days and couldn't figure it out, yet another dealership had it fixed in one day!

Quick Reply: Mysterious squeaks, rattles, and thumps...