Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Navigation Doesn't Recognize My Zip Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Doesn't Recognize My Zip Code

Has anyone else had a problem with the navigation software not recognizing a zip code? My car can find my street and house by going through the city and state entry, but if I try to start with my zip code, it returns errors. Anybody else run into something similar?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven't tried a search using zip code, but will give it a try. Had to drive the stupid Outback today (
Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Not to veer to far off topic, I read recently that you might not want to put your actual address in your GPS system. Use someplace nearby.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Not to veer to far off topic, I read recently that you might not want to put your actual address in your GPS system. Use someplace nearby.
This is generally good advice, because it prevents someone from finding out that you and your GPS and your car are not at home, which can then become a burglary target. That said, there's usually plenty of other information in the car (e.g. registration documents, service receipts, etc.) that could just as easily easily reveal your home address to someone who's bent on finding out where you live. On the A6 GPS system, it's possible to just put in a town and street name for your home address without putting in an actual house number -- I programmed ours with the town and the name of the next street over.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
That's exactly what I do for all my "sensitive" nav contacts/ adresses (relatives,friends,my own and others).
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spoon2000
This is generally good advice, because it prevents someone from finding out that you and your GPS and your car are not at home, which can then become a burglary target.
Burglary...or *worse*.
That said, there's usually plenty of other information in the car (e.g. registration documents, service receipts, etc.) that could just as easily easily reveal your home address to someone who's bent on finding out where you live.
I never keep receipts or service records in my car.As for the car's registration my state has advised that it not be kept in the car.Those who borrow my car will have no more than a minor problem by being unable to present the registration if stopped (they're all law abiding people).
On the A6 GPS system, it's possible to just put in a town and street name for your home address without putting in an actual house number -- I programmed ours with the town and the name of the next street over.
All the addresses I enter are *specific* ones that include street,number and town...and they're all close to the actual ones but at least a couple of streets away (averaging 1 to 2 tenths of a mile away)
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone else had a problem with the navigation software not recognizing a zip code? My car can find my street and house by going through the city and state entry, but if I try to start with my zip code, it returns errors. Anybody else run into something similar?
Is your house in a fairly new development, if so, i believe there is a navigation update out, but check with dealer and see if your car needs it, might help.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

listerone: what state are you in? that is a good recommendation.

Unfortunately in CA, they might ding me for not having it. They did that to me once before when I forgot my latest insurance card, which also has my home address on it.

I clean all my receipts from my car always or stick them in the locked glove in a pinch.

Also, everytime I leave my car in Valet, I delete all "Last Destinations"

I am annoyed that they do not provide security for GPS systems. My old cheal $200 Garmin has a security code for it, why not the MMI?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevial
Is your house in a fairly new development, if so, i believe there is a navigation update out, but check with dealer and see if your car needs it, might help.
My street has existed for 25 years, and the adjacent neighborhood which is in the same zip was built in the 1950s.

Again, it's the "find an address starting with the zip code" capability that is the problem, and there's nothing wrong with the mapping or the ability to navigate if you input the info the "hard way" by entering the state, city, street, and house number.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

My street has existed for 25 years, and the adjacent neighborhood which is in the same zip was built in the 1950s.

Again, it's the "find an address starting with the zip code" capability that is the problem, and there's nothing wrong with the mapping or the ability to navigate if you input the info the "hard way" by entering the state, city, street, and house number.
Have you taken it to the local dealer? What do they say? Maybe it's a software bug that they resolve it by a reset or an update.

Quick Reply: Navigation Doesn't Recognize My Zip Code