Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need opinions on rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Tires ?'s

**Thread hijack

I've been reading about winter tire set ups and I just wanted to get an opinion.

I've had 18" A/S on my last two cars that were AWD (IS 250 & GS 350) and I never had issues in the snow or wet rodes.

I've never had winter tires and from what I've read smaller tires tend to do better in the snow.

Would it make a huge difference if I went with a 18" or 19" winter tire set up?

Being that I have the sports suspension is there anything that I need to be aware of when I switch the wheels completely to the winter setup?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in Alaska...I do know a thing or two about winter tires. Specifically on AWD vehicles.

If I was purchasing new tires (which I am not as I am using my winters from my B8 S4) I would go with a 225/50R18. A skinnier tire helps you cut through snow better. Go with studless winters, I like Michelin myself but it tends to be personal preference.

I would not go 19". You CAN if you plan on using your current rims for winter use, but if you're buying rims with tires, go with the 18s.

You don't have to worry about the sport package w/ 18" wheels. Just make sure you get wheels that will clear the calipers. I would go a minimum of an ET35 but likely an ET32.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Nutdotnet
Being in Alaska...I do know a thing or two about winter tires. Specifically on AWD vehicles.

If I was purchasing new tires (which I am not as I am using my winters from my B8 S4) I would go with a 225/50R18. A skinnier tire helps you cut through snow better. Go with studless winters, I like Michelin myself but it tends to be personal preference.

I would not go 19". You CAN if you plan on using your current rims for winter use, but if you're buying rims with tires, go with the 18s.

You don't have to worry about the sport package w/ 18" wheels. Just make sure you get wheels that will clear the calipers. I would go a minimum of an ET35 but likely an ET32.
Nutdotnet! Thanks!! I will definitely be looking at some 18's; I want to get them before dealers start marking them up because its close or it is winter.

One of my co-workers was trying to convince me today, that I should be okay with my summer tires. I wanted to debate with him but I had work to do lol.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lostnspace
Nutdotnet! Thanks!! I will definitely be looking at some 18's; I want to get them before dealers start marking them up because its close or it is winter.

One of my co-workers was trying to convince me today, that I should be okay with my summer tires. I wanted to debate with him but I had work to do lol.
Your summers will turn into hockey pucks if you use them much below freezing.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutdotnet

You are right on the $!