Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New Brake Pads - Worth Doing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brake Pads - Worth Doing?

For those technically minded, would someone please comment as to whether new/different pads would make a difference in the brake feel. Lots of negative comments regarding this topic which I happen to agree with. Looking for a simple and relatively inexpensive way to improve the current feel if that even exists. If there is another alternative which could be implemented for <$1000, I would be very interested. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pads are the cheaper part of the braking system, and this being my first Audi. I think the rotors will be able to put up with a more resilient pad without burning or warping.

I think it'll make a big difference, but it's also possible that the car's coding that allows for the brake to be soft. So the early pressure accounts for less than the usual feel in a pneumatic only braking system.

Example:
20% pressure = 10% braking power
30% pressure = 20% braking power
50% pressure = 60% braking power

Getting a new pad will help with the early braking for sure.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are there certain pad composites and/or manufacturer's brand that you would recommend for this situation?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
Are there certain pad composites and/or manufacturer's brand that you would recommend for this situation?
I honestly can't recommend you anything other than to look for Ceramic Brake Pads. This is your best bet for better braking. As for the brand however, you'll probably need to look around and read reviews. I would look and see what type of aftermarket brakes do owners of S/M/AMG. These cars have alot of power, and people will have alot of knowledge in braking.

Please be aware that it might not be possible to change them your-self, since it requires a reset for the pad thickness. Otherwise you may have error codes. But do read up and post later for future Sixers.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Few Audi owners went with ceramic pads from:
http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/
Also in some cases dealer installed them. They also produce less brake dust. I would not set my expectations too high when you replace pads, braking is a system & pads are one part of that system, so some improvement may be seen, not sure about cost involved & how big of an improvement this will make.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by stoulana

Also in some cases dealer installed them. They also produce less brake dust. I would not set my expectations too high when you replace pads, braking is a system & pads are one part of that system, so some improvement may be seen, not sure about cost involved & how big of an improvement this will make.
+1. I think that's a fair assessment. You may find no improvement at all or perhaps even a worse situation.

Some of these so-called "hi-performance" pads won't stop the car when they're cold.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is not good news unfortunately. Clearly from your comments there is no "easy fix" to the issue. I just can't understand why the brake feel on my Q5 is great and on my A6 it's terrible.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you guys believe that switching out the brake lines to braided versions would help the feel?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Addy, that's not going to give you the improvement you seek. I've done that mod and noticed no difference at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Addy, that's not going to give you the improvement you seek. I've done that mod and noticed no difference at all.
Drats, this is looking more & more like "accept it or leave it." Shame, it's literally my only real complaint about the car. My dealer is saying I'm the only one to complain so far but here on the forum, it's pretty common place. Guess the pads won't help much either. Running out of cost effective options.

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads - Worth Doing?