Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New owner of a6 3.0 Prestige 2013 with some q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a6 3.0 Prestige 2013 with some q's

Feel free to comment on some or any of my thoughts and questions.

First love the car. I am not a huge "car guy" so take that under consideration. I got metallic white with black interior.

For those who may be interested I will comment on my out the door price. I only got 1,000 "off msrp" but 2 grand more than I thought on trade in of 2 cars. MSRP was 61,000 or so. Truecar.com said average deal is 1,500 off msrp for what thats worth.

1) whats the button labeled "A" with a circling arrow around it for? is it for engine on off at a red light etc? Dealer said she did not know right now.

2) I read some comments here about wind noise, for me its the AC vent right for rear passengers right at my left ear level behind me. DOnt you think this is poor positioning of the vent.

3) I got 20 inch sport package? so does that mean I need to change the setting to dynamic to enjoy this so called sport suspension? How do you use paddle shifters? Im kinda scared to use them. smile.

4) when the T mobile 6 month deal is over, what features will work on nav etc and what wont?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame cars don't come with manuals anymore, as that would answer #1 and 3. The literature that comes with the T-Mob card answers #4.

No. 2 - No
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dynamic Mode does not change suspension settings (in the U.S. at least) only transmission shifts and steering tightness.

You can put the shifter in Sport mode (when in drive push back one more or push to the right) use the paddles to "shift" like you would a manual, + to go up a gear etc.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been trying to get my hands on an owners manual now for almost a month so I can read it from cover to cover, and know EXACTLY, what my car is capable of.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by shamushamu
Feel free to comment on some or any of my thoughts and questions.

First love the car. I am not a huge "car guy" so take that under consideration. I got metallic white with black interior.

For those who may be interested I will comment on my out the door price. I only got 1,000 "off msrp" but 2 grand more than I thought on trade in of 2 cars. MSRP was 61,000 or so. Truecar.com said average deal is 1,500 off msrp for what thats worth.

1) whats the button labeled "A" with a circling arrow around it for? is it for engine on off at a red light etc? Dealer said she did not know right now.

2) I read some comments here about wind noise, for me its the AC vent right for rear passengers right at my left ear level behind me. DOnt you think this is poor positioning of the vent.

3) I got 20 inch sport package? so does that mean I need to change the setting to dynamic to enjoy this so called sport suspension? How do you use paddle shifters? Im kinda scared to use them. smile.

4) when the T mobile 6 month deal is over, what features will work on nav etc and what wont?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Welcome to the club! As previously noted and without any sarcasm, the manuals, while pushing War & Peace status, will answer most of your questions and a whole lot more. I'll give you the cliff notes to your questions, however, as I'm a nice guy, you're new to AudiWorld and we want you to feel welcome and loved.

1 - Yes, it's the Stop/Start feature. Press to turn off if you don't like it. It remembers your setting after the car is turned off unlike our European Audi friends who have to keep punching it each time they start the car. Surprised your dealer didn't know this. (Well, maybe not).

2 - Check the rear vent opening and direction. Sometimes you'll hear the fan noise if it's at full blow, the vent is almost closed and the blades are pointing a certain way. Check the other three rear vents to make sure they are not cloased and the one behind your ear is not the only one open.

3 - The 2012/13 A6 has no suspension adjustments via the ADS system (unlike our A4/A5 brethren) - only steering feel, transmission shift points and engine throttle mapping are affected by the MMI settings. The suspension is what it is, in your case, the 20" wheels, lower profile tires, steering wheel paddle shifters, slightly lowered suspension and some other component differences.

4 - When the T-Mobile free trial is over, if you don't renew, you will lose the following: Google Earth maps (Standard Map remains), online destination Google Points of Interest search (the Audi Nav POIs remain, although they are quite limited in comparison), all the other Audi Connect features, i.e. News, Weather, etc as well as in car WiFi (slow and marginal at best). An alternative to subscribing to T-Mobile is the Tru-Sim option - lots of posts on this; do a forum search.

Hope this helps but as I said, spend some time with the manuals and figure at least a week to get it all down. And then some.
Also, take time to read through the A6/C7 forum threads and do some searches as your questions come up before you start a new posting. You may just find the answers you need.

Congrats and enjoy your new toy!

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

#3 do you have ventilated seats on if you have that option? When I first got my car I was hearing a noise and that's what it happened to be
Old 08-26-2012, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Welcome to the club! As previously noted and without any sarcasm, the manuals, while pushing War & Peace status, will answer most of your questions and a whole lot more. I'll give you the cliff notes to your questions, however, as I'm a nice guy, you're new to AudiWorld and we want you to feel welcome and loved.

1 - Yes, it's the Stop/Start feature. Press to turn off if you don't like it. remembers your setting after the car is turned off unlike our European Audi friends whi have to keep puching it each time they start the car. Surprised your dealer didn't know this. (Well, maybe not).

2 - Check the rear vent opening and direction. Sometimes you'll hear the fan noise if it's at full blow, the vent is almost closed and the blades are pointing a certain way. Check the other three rear vents to make sure they are not cloased and the one behind your ear is not the only one open.

3 - The 2012/13 A6 has no suspension adjustments via the ADS system (unlike our A4/A5 brethren) - only steering feel, transmission shift points and engine throttle mapping are affected by the MMI settings. The suspension is what it is, in your case, the 20" wheels, lower profile tires, steering wheel paddle shifters, slightly lowered suspension and some other component differences.

4 - When the T-Mobile free trial is over, if you don't renew, you will lose the following: Google Earth maps (Standard Map remains), online destination Google Points of Interest search (the Audi Nav POIs remain, although they are quite limited in comparison), all the other Audi Connect features, i.e. News, Weather, etc as well as in car WiFi (slow and marginal at best). An alternative to subscribing to T-Mobile is the Tru-Sim option - lots of posts on this; do a forum search.

Hope this helps but as we said, spend some time with the manuals and figure at least a week to get it all down. And then some.
Also, take time to read through the A6/C7 forum threads and do some searches as your questions come up before you start a new posting. You may just find the answers you need.

Congrats and enjoy your new toy!
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. It truly is overwhelming for a new audi owner because the car is so hi tech. I appreciate your inputs and the other posters as well with constructive comments. Im off to the races. Is it true this car can do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds? ive read some places it can and others 5 and change.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jaybanks9
#3 do you have ventilated seats on if you have that option? When I first got my car I was hearing a noise and that's what it happened to be
I will try with them off.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by shamushamu
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. It truly is overwhelming for a new audi owner because the car is so hi tech. I appreciate your inputs and the other posters as well with constructive comments. Im off to the races. Is it true this car can do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds? ive read some places it can and others 5 and change.
Most road tests have supported Audi's claim of 5.2 seconds 0-60 mph. I seem to remember one test that showed under 5 seconds with a one foot roll out.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome aboard shamushamu, and congrats on your new A6. (side note, what's up AW, back from Europe, what a vacation)

"How do you use paddle shifters? Im kinda scared to use them. smile."

Don't need to be nervous using your paddle shifters, just hit the - paddle to downshift and the + paddle to upshift. Just fiddle with them a few times and you should get aquainted with them rather quickly.

You can also pull down on the shift lever to put it in semi-sport mode, not sure if that is the proper name, but this will allow your engine to get to higher RPM's for a quick burst without the need of going through the menu to change your settings. I use this all the time when getting on the freeway or making a pass on the freeway.

Quick Reply: New owner of a6 3.0 Prestige 2013 with some q's