Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New Summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Summer tires

I did a search, but came up with very little. I need to put new summer tires on the car for next season. Wanted to see what others are running with these days. Everything I saw seemed to lean towards Conti DWS. I have the 20" sport wheel package and I need only summers as I have a dedicated winter set. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Probably a typo but the Conti DWS (now replaced by the Conti DWS 06) is not a summer tire. It's a UHP all season. The ExtremeContact DW would be their summer tire,
Old 10-29-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the P-Zero stock 20" tires on mine. I could feel so many bumps and the road noise was terrible. After changing to Conti DWS06 I am very pleased. I don't get the good grip feeling going around the bends at higher speeds compared to the P-Zeros. However in a pouring down rain, I felt planted and secure going around the bends. As others have mentioned the performance is almost as good as the stock tires. I welcome the balance of good performance, better comfort and most of all, the reduced road noise! I have had these on my car for 1,900 miles now and I'm totally pleased.

Maybe you should consider the Conti DW and not the DWS?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

The Porsche 997 crowd swears by Michelin Pilot Super Sports even though they aren't "N" approved (the officially blessed tires by Porsche).
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Probably a typo but the Conti DWS (now replaced by the Conti DWS 06) is not a summer tire. It's a UHP all season. The ExtremeContact DW would be their summer tire,
Yes and no on the Typo. Conti's site still calls them DWS. I was wondering where the 06 was. Also, yes, the DW is actually more of what I was thinking as that is a summer tire. The Michelin's also mentioned were second on my list. The road noise is what gets me the most on mine. Thanks for the insight all.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I am seriously considering the Michelin Pilot Super Sports when my P-Zeros wear out. I've always had good luck with Michelins.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I see you are in Ilinois, not that different in climate from Michigan. You certainly can do summer tires (Michelin PSS are superb) but are you aware of the limited usage based on temperature? They are limited to temps at least in the 40s or higher. That leaves a lot of time in our Autumn and late winter/early spring when you don't need dedicated winter tires but it will be too cold for summer tires. The DWS06 may be a better strategy, which has high performance capability but can go on in early Spring or a bit sooner and stay on to late Fall/early winter until the flakes actually arrive. I have something similar on another car with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3, a wonderful all season high performance tire, but probably not as quiet as DWS06. For our A6, the Blizzak WS80 are ready, but we'll replace the OE tires with DWS06 to keep the dedicated winter tires to when they are truly needed.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-30-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Yes and no on the Typo. Conti's site still calls them DWS. I was wondering where the 06 was.
Conti is still offering the old DWS, most likely because of the lower cost vs. the new 06. As I have reported elsewhere on the Forums, I have owned both and the DWS 06 is far superior in every way compared to the old model.

Continental Tire Launches ExtremeContact? DWS06 | Continental

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Contact+DWS+06
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Yes and no on the Typo. Conti's site still calls them DWS. I was wondering where the 06 was. Also, yes, the DW is actually more of what I was thinking as that is a summer tire. The Michelin's also mentioned were second on my list. The road noise is what gets me the most on mine. Thanks for the insight all.
I had the Michelin in the past, they are great both wet and dry, however they are just as loud (around 70 db) as the P-zero (very loud at 80+ db) after a couple of thousand miles and lasts only 12000 mile or so.

I think all UHP Summer Tires will be LOUD because of the aggressive thread, my winter tire is actually much quieter (~60 db), so if you are brother by tire noise, maybe the all season tire may work better, even if you change over to winter tires during the snowy season.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Since you have a dedicated winter set, I wouldn't go all season for your summer tires, don't compromise your summer driving with all seasons, they are designed to compromise some summer ability as a trade off for winter ability and since you don't need that winter ability no reason to compromise.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires are probably your best bet for all around performance. They really aren't that loud and ride reasonably well for a summer tire. Conti DW are pretty good as well, and unless you do some serious driving would probably suit you just fine compared to the PSS for less money, however, I didn't like the way they would track on the interstate at high speed - they wonder a bit for me. Keep in mind the PSS have a 30k tread warranty so if they don't last the full 30k miles you will get some pro-rated money back towards a new set of tires based on how far they get.

You are never going to get a lexus ride on the 20" sport package wheels - there just isn't enough sidewall. Both the Conti DW and Michelin PSS are quieter than the stock Pzero tires in my opinion and will suit you just fine when the temp are above freezing.

Quick Reply: New Summer tires