Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New Summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Since you have a dedicated winter set, I wouldn't go all season for your summer tires, don't compromise your summer driving with all seasons, they are designed to compromise some summer ability as a trade off for winter ability and since you don't need that winter ability no reason to compromise.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires are probably your best bet for all around performance. They really aren't that loud and ride reasonably well for a summer tire. Conti DW are pretty good as well, and unless you do some serious driving would probably suit you just fine compared to the PSS for less money, however, I didn't like the way they would track on the interstate at high speed - they wonder a bit for me. Keep in mind the PSS have a 30k tread warranty so if they don't last the full 30k miles you will get some pro-rated money back towards a new set of tires based on how far they get.

You are never going to get a lexus ride on the 20" sport package wheels - there just isn't enough sidewall. Both the Conti DW and Michelin PSS are quieter than the stock Pzero tires in my opinion and will suit you just fine when the temp are above freezing.
The optimal strategy comes down to how much of the year is spent at what temperature. I suggest OP goes beyond forum opinions and contact the summer tire manufacturers. Michelin, for example, will tell you that the line is not drawn at "freezing", but above that in the low 40s below which we spend much time in our climate before the low 30s. Otherwise, they will warn of 1) tire compound cracking and possible failure and 2) significant loss of traction. But, contact Continental and Michelin directly and get the facts first hand. AS3 was specifically developed to come as close to PSS as possible, but useful in wider temperatures just because of this issue with summer tires.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
I had the Michelin in the past, they are great both wet and dry, however they are just as loud (around 70 db) as the P-zero (very loud at 80+ db) after a couple of thousand miles and lasts only 12000 mile or so.

I think all UHP Summer Tires will be LOUD because of the aggressive thread, my winter tire is actually much quieter (~60 db), so if you are brother by tire noise, maybe the all season tire may work better, even if you change over to winter tires during the snowy season.
Don't forget most summer tires wear faster than all seasons. As to noise, if my P-Zeros were a 10 for noise, my Conti DWS 06 are a 2.5.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Since you have a dedicated winter set, I wouldn't go all season for your summer tires, don't compromise your summer driving with all seasons, they are designed to compromise some summer ability as a trade off for winter ability and since you don't need that winter ability no reason to compromise.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires are probably your best bet for all around performance. They really aren't that loud and ride reasonably well for a summer tire. Conti DW are pretty good as well, and unless you do some serious driving would probably suit you just fine compared to the PSS for less money, however, I didn't like the way they would track on the interstate at high speed - they wonder a bit for me. Keep in mind the PSS have a 30k tread warranty so if they don't last the full 30k miles you will get some pro-rated money back towards a new set of tires based on how far they get.

You are never going to get a lexus ride on the 20" sport package wheels - there just isn't enough sidewall. Both the Conti DW and Michelin PSS are quieter than the stock Pzero tires in my opinion and will suit you just fine when the temp are above freezing.
I had Lexus GS and ISF before. The Conti DWS06 was as good as the Lexus quiet and smoothness. I had the Michilin pilot super sports on the Lexus GS and the Conti DWS06 were better in comfort and noise but was a bit slushy around very hard handling turns. But I think most people aren't going to drive very aggressive around the turns as frequently as I drove...
Old 10-31-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I am seriously considering the Michelin Pilot Super Sports when my P-Zeros wear out. I've always had good luck with Michelins.
I made the same switch and it was a huge improvement!
Old 10-31-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

UHP All season tire ratings:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 10-31-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're near a dealer who sells Nokian tires they make a great summer tire at a very reasonable cost, the zLine! Smooth, quiet, tight handling with superb hydro planing resistance. Soft compound UTOQ of 300 so they wear out faster than some tires. Probably a 20-30K mile tire depending on your driving style but reasonably priced compared to Michelin Super Sports which are arguably the best summer performance tire available.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I made the same switch and it was a huge improvement!
Thanks for the feedback that's actually great to hear!

Not that it's the same animal but I have had some of the Michelin dual compound tires on my 2008 Kawasaki ZX14 and REALLY like the way they handle and stick although currently I am running Metzlers on the bike and have been very happy with them this past summer.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

20" tires are going to run a little rough. I have the MPSS on my S5 on 265-30-20 and the performance is great, but potholes do cause them to thud. My A6 has 18" AS Goodyears, holding my breath and crossing my fingers. Fine so far at 6k miles. I would replace with MPSS and then get Hakka snows. Wife did not want sport suspension.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks again all for the weekend contributions. I was already leaning towards the Conti DW for the summer aspect and the Michelin's. I need to do a little more research. I am just looking for a little less road noise as I know with 20's there are sacrifices. I have made many based on my mod list. Not looking for extreme comfort, just a lot of fun. I will review temp specs at this point on the two as The MI poster is right. I still am running around with summers on and trying to get every mile out of them for this season. The beauty is, I have all winter to search out a deal and research. Of course I would rather still have summer to look forward to.