Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New TSB: Rear Pillar Crackling/Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you hear the clicking noise all the time, or only when the road was bumpy? I hear a metallic clicking noise from the right rear window area when the road is bumpy. I'm not sure what causes the noise. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
This was originally posted under a different thread. Now that I have resolved my problem, I thought I would re-post this under a more appropriate subject.

My 2012 Presitge developed a "clicking/crackling" noise near the right rear pillar area. It was hard to reproduce for the Audi technicians, but finally, yesterday, we did.

If others are experiencing anything similar, Audi just released a new TSB on this. They refer to a "crackling/clicking noise coming from the rear pillar area", exactly what I am experiencing. The TSB goes on to say that the problem is with the damper in the strut mounts. They can shift and once out of place can cause this noise. The TSB calls for both rear shocks/struts to be replaced.

Parts are ordered and work is being performed tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeringStrait
Did you hear the clicking noise all the time, or only when the road was bumpy? I hear a metallic clicking noise from the right rear window area when the road is bumpy. I'm not sure what causes the noise. Thanks.
BeringStrait, the noise was intermittent. It was definitely caused by bumps, but it seemed it would happen when the bumps were more subtle or smaller. Bigger bumps would not cause the noise, even though that is when you would expect it to happen. The closest I could come to replicating the noise was tapping the end of a ball point pen against the window. The noise that makes was very similar to the noise I had. To be clear, the noise comes from right behind the rear seat, where the seatbelt retracts into the car. Directly underneath that happens to be right where the shock is mounted to the body of the car. The TSB listed below by dbg_dbg was used to fix the issue.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

My fiance' A6 has had some cracking/clicking noises as well. The difference is that the noise 'seems' to be coming from the sunroof, only when in the propped/vent up position. With sunroof closed, no added noise. The sound is prominent during consistent rough roads, otherwise nothing is heard on highways or smooth surfaces.

Brought the car into the dealership. The service tech was unable to replicate the noise nor was I during the ride along.

Didn't mention this TSB as it seemed unrelated.

Anyone have cracking/clicking noise with just the sunroof propped up?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BeringStrait
BeringStraight - just as LML - TX pointed out, the noise did not seem to occur on hard bumps. It was more often heard on longer/rolling bumps, if that makes sense. The noise was definitely heard in the back right pillar area. At first I thought it was the back deck, then the seat belt. I had someone drive the car for me while I sat back there and was able to confirm it was more in the body of the car.

It's really hard to replicate at the dealer, unfortunately. When I first took my car over, the roads were wet and it was impossible to hear the noise. Next time I left my car with the Service Manager and he didn't hear anything. Finally I found a technician who was patient and he was able to confirm the clicking noise. Fortunately, Audi had just released the TSB. I had no issues at all getting the work approved.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all for the information. I thought the noise came from the rear window, and suspected the rear window glass was not fixed properly. I'll have my car checked soon, and I will bring a print of this discussion with me in case the Audi dealer is not aware of this TSB.

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
BeringStraight - just as LML - TX pointed out, the noise did not seem to occur on hard bumps. It was more often heard on longer/rolling bumps, if that makes sense. The noise was definitely heard in the back right pillar area. At first I thought it was the back deck, then the seat belt. I had someone drive the car for me while I sat back there and was able to confirm it was more in the body of the car.

It's really hard to replicate at the dealer, unfortunately. When I first took my car over, the roads were wet and it was impossible to hear the noise. Next time I left my car with the Service Manager and he didn't hear anything. Finally I found a technician who was patient and he was able to confirm the clicking noise. Fortunately, Audi had just released the TSB. I had no issues at all getting the work approved.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Does anybody have the exact text of this TSB? Pretty sure this is whats wrong with my car, but they didn't mention there was a TSB and they want me to pay for new rear shocks.

Need to know if any 2013s are covered by it.

EDIT: Looks like its 2012 only. ****. Anyway, did a bit more reading and its a $56 mount. WTF are they telling me I need a $1500 shock job for??!!! 2 mounts is $112. They're gonna charge $1388 to change them? Screw that.

Last edited by Mike_L; 02-21-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is a 2013 and they swapped them out no questions asked
Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

They're telling me that it was originally done for the 2012 cars. For 2013s they're considering it a wear item, so the car has to be less than a year old and have less than 12k miles. My car in service date was October of 2012, so its over a year old. I called Audi of America and they were zero help. Gonna have to bite the bullet on this one it looks like. At least now I know that the dealer is full of **** and that just the mounts can be swapped and not the whole shocks. I can pay for that..... at another dealer who won't BS me.

PS: mjfloyd, clean out your PM boxes. I can't respond to you, they get bounced back.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
They're telling me that it was originally done for the 2012 cars. For 2013s they're considering it a wear item, so the car has to be less than a year old and have less than 12k miles. My car in service date was October of 2012, so its over a year old. I called Audi of America and they were zero help. Gonna have to bite the bullet on this one it looks like. At least now I know that the dealer is full of **** and that just the mounts can be swapped and not the whole shocks. I can pay for that..... at another dealer who won't BS me. PS: mjfloyd, clean out your PM boxes. I can't respond to you, they get bounced back.
I am pretty sure mine was about 13 months old but 10k miles...
Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are replacing the strut mount on the right rear of my S6 - under warranty and I have almost 28K miles and have had the car for 17 months.

Quick Reply: New TSB: Rear Pillar Crackling/Clicking Noise