Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

No PDF owner's manual? In the 21st century?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No PDF owner's manual? In the 21st century?

WTF Audi - I can download Mercedes and BMW owner's manuals today. This is a big pre-sales help for detail-oriented tech geeks like me - which I thought happened to be your target market....

Richard
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
WTF Audi - I can download Mercedes and BMW owner's manuals today. This is a big pre-sales help for detail-oriented tech geeks like me - which I thought happened to be your target market....

Richard
No freakin' kidding! It seems like Audi is one of the only manufacturers that doesn't put their manuals up online in PDF. When I got my CTS back in 2008 I had downloaded the manual from Cadillac's site and read it front to back during the wait for that car to arrive - and I was thoroughly studied up on its operation when I took delivery! Wish I could do the same for my A6.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I tried putting in a comment on the "Contact Us" form about how this is a competitive disadvantage and noting that I've already read the E550 and 550i manuals! Perhaps if enough folks do that there will be some motion....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM
BEH
Audiworld Junior Member

I just E Mailed Auda Canada about this.
I too downloaded Owners Manual for my 06 BMW when I ordered it from the factory.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi is starting to download the instructional videos on the cars now.

When you hit the car button on the MMI, you can play the videos on most of the operating features of the car.

You can also go to www.audiusa.com/technology

There's helpful videos on there that will give you a head-start on how to use things.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Richard
If you look on Audi.com you can get the brochures that the dealership offer. That has all the details. I downloaded it to my iPad and it works in iBooks. What do you want from the owners manual?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jaybanks9
If you look on Audi.com you can get the brochures that the dealership offer. That has all the details. I downloaded it to my iPad and it works in iBooks. What do you want from the owners manual?
Where? I found an interactive brochure but no .PDF - I was actually looking for a PDF brochure too .... but that's not the owner's manual.

I want to see things like: whether the spare well will hold a full-size wheel and tire, how an address is entered for Nav, what button to push for fog lights, how the transmission handles the paddle inputs, how many quarts of oil it takes, where the SIM card is for the Audi Connect, what (if anything) I have to do when fitting different wheels (e.g. the TPMS discussion here), how/if the voice system should be trained, etc.

Look, I *KNOW* I'm a geek but I (too) read owner's manuals cover to cover. In today's world I expect to read pretty much *ANY* product's manual pre-purchase - and especially so with a $60-80K purchase like one of these cars!

There's virtually no cost associated with generating a PDF from the source document for the paper manual, and *BOTH* BMW and Mercedes offer this today! (Not to mention my phone, camera, watch, bike, waffle maker, etc, etc, etc...) Even leaving aside the pre-purchase aspect, today I carry PDF manuals and not paper, so leave the paper manual in the car, but give me a PDF for everywhere/when else. Please.

Last edited by Richard Solomon; 06-18-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where? I found an interactive brochure but no .PDF - I was actually looking for a PDF brochure too .... but that's not the owner's manual.

I want to see things like: whether the spare well will hold a full-size wheel and tire, how an address is entered for Nav, what button to push for fog lights, how the transmission handles the paddle inputs, how many quarts of oil it takes, where the SIM card is for the Audi Connect, what (if anything) I have to do when fitting different wheels (e.g. the TPMS discussion here), how/if the voice system should be trained, etc.

Look, I *KNOW* I'm a geek but I (too) read owner's manuals cover to cover. In today's world I expect to read pretty much *ANY* product's manual pre-purchase - and especially so with a $60-80K purchase like one of these cars!

There's virtually no cost associated with generating a PDF from the source document for the paper manual, and *BOTH* BMW and Mercedes offer this today! (Not to mention my phone, camera, watch, bike, waffle maker, etc, etc, etc...) Even leaving aside the pre-purchase aspect, today I carry PDF manuals and not paper, so leave the paper manual in the car, but give me a PDF for everywhere/when else. Please.
Gotcha. Yeah I don't see that online. I've been searching google trying to find a link, but no luck. It has to be somewhere on the information super highway lol.

The sim card slots are in the dash above the ac controls. Nav can be entered with the click wheel in the middle, with voice, and handwriting with the mmi. Fog light button is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel near the light controls. When in drive, tap the gear lever down and you will see a d/s in the infotainment center where it previously just said d. Then you can shift with the gear selector by sliding it over and pushing up to shift up and down to shift down or you can use the paddles.

Hope this helped a little!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I totally agree with the OP!

I had to go to the dealer and sit in an empty sales office pouring through both the basic car and MMI manuals to make sure the features had the capabilities I expected. The questions I had regarding certain types of systems integration that I was looking for were beyond the expertise of the salesmen at Audi, MB and BMW. I needed to dive into the manuals of all three brands to find the answers I was looking for.

In addition, sites like this one have also proven extremely valuable.

I'm hoping to pick up my new A6 Prestige with the Innovations and 20" sport package in the next couple of days and enjoy the opportunity to read the manuals cover to cover - as well as drive the car!

BTW - I would expect there to be some sort of post sales followup by Audi where I can express my frustration about not having digital formats of the manuals available for both pre and post sales purposes. As the Technical Pilot of a major cargo airline in Memphis, where I am in charge of the aircraft manuals - in both paper and digital forms, I can state that there is should be no reasonable explanation as to why Audi is not already be offering digital manuals.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Darn! Where is that edit post button?!!

The last part of my post above should read:

I can state that there should be no reasonable explanation as to why Audi is not already offering digital manuals.

Sorry -

Quick Reply: No PDF owner's manual? In the 21st century?