Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Noise / stutter when releasing brakes slowly from stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise / stutter when releasing brakes slowly from stop?

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while on the forum, but have never seen any one mention this before.

When trying to inch forward from a stop (say, at a light), if you don't take your entire foot off right away and slowly release the brakes, there is this stutter / screech noise. It gets pretty loud as long as your foot is still on the brake pedal. If you release your foot off the pedal right away, this does not happen.

After driving a while it sometimes goes away .. but pretty much always happen from a cold start.

I have taken a video a while back:

The issue I have is it when you're in stop and go traffic or at the light, it gets pretty damn loud, and the entire car seems to "shake" with the stutter.

I have brought this up to my dealership before and they said this is the expected behavior for the brakes. I got a loaner A7 at that point and also noticed the similar issue.
I have not seen this in my previous cars so I don't know if it is just common for Audis to do this.

Is this behavior...expected?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Would like to add that the video isn't the worst I've had it.
I've done it before so it lasts a good 2-3 seconds straight
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Not abnormal if you're slightly engaging the brakes, especially if new. The pads are grabbing and slipping on the disks while trying to gain purchase and create a stuttering sound. I don't know how many miles you have but if new, it gets much better and barely noticeable as the brakes wear in.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Drove 10k+, almost a year now.
The video was taken at 5k

Some times I brake pretty hard as well so I don't think it will ever (or it ever did) improve

Maybe if I change my brake pads it will be different, but that's long ways away.
Like I said, I have never heard this on other cars.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geminas01
Drove 10k+, almost a year now.
The video was taken at 5k

Some times I brake pretty hard as well so I don't think it will ever (or it ever did) improve

Maybe if I change my brake pads it will be different, but that's long ways away.
Like I said, I have never heard this on other cars.
I have around 36K on my odometer and this annoying noise that is mentioned is still present on my C7. Did not even silghtly change from the beginning. Just saying.

Last edited by salvadorik; 04-08-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I have around 36K on my odometer and this annoying noise that is mentioned is still present on my C7. Did not even silghtly change from the beginning. Just saying.

Yikes ... I guess it's time to send AoA a question

I'm surprised not more people are annoyed by this brake grab noise
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My A6 has a similar problem to that of geminas01.

I only have 384 miles on this new car and I know that the brakes are not completely bedded or cured as yet.

However, when from a complete stop, I let my foot off of the brake ever so lightly to inch forward to a parking barrier, the brakes make a loud grinding-like sound. The car does not ease forward but instead jerks.

The noise and jerking only occurs at times like this. When at a traffic stop I release the brake and hit the gas peddle, no noise or jerking occurs.

I trust that the problem will disappear once the brakes are completely broken in.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Last edited by carbuff; 04-10-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same issue here. At times I feel embarrass making the noise next to a Corolla or civic that doesn't do that.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Same issue here. At times I feel embarrass making the noise next to a Corolla or civic that doesn't do that.
+1 I change my braking habbits due to this noise. I am buying some new pads though that hopefully will correct this issue. Once installed I will report back.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You might want to try burnishing your rotors to prevent the "stick-slip" you are experiencing. You may want to first examine your rotors to see if there are any "patches" of brake pad material stuck to the rotors. If so, you will need some steel wool to remove any/all of these patches. You will have to remove the tire if the rotors need to be cleaned. Once you have (or have confirmed) bare steel rotor surfaces, you should burnish the rotors as follows:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7806795_burn...ke-rotors.html

If you still have problems, it could be the brake pad material is defective - it does happen from time to time. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Noise / stutter when releasing brakes slowly from stop?