Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Noise / stutter when releasing brakes slowly from stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same experience here.. my car is brand new so I kept attributing it to the new brakes.. but it seems this is a problem that others are experiencing as well.

Btw, I never had this happen on A5 and that car was brand new as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another possibility is that the brake pad is vibrating at low speeds. Normally, rubberized shims (thin metal plates coated with rubber, placed between the caliper and the steel mounting plate that the pads are attached to) are used to dampen or prevent noise due to brake pad vibration at slow speeds with low braking pressure. Maybe Audi switched to a cheaper supplier with no shims or with non-rubberized (bare metal) shims? There are aftermarket dampening pastes you can apply to a bare-metal shim to help it act as a proper damper. I think one is called "Disk Brake Quiet". A thin layer is applied to the shim and allowed to dry. Once dry, this coating acts like a rubberized coating to dampen the brake pad vibration. No vibration, no noise. If there is no shim installed, you may be able to purchase aftermarket rubberized shims or aftermarket brake pads sets that include the rubberized shims. Hope this gives you some more ideas to check out - I would hate to have to live with that kind of noise! Good luck!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same here, had this problem for almost 10k miles. My car is 18k now.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

300 miles on odo, I'm having it, thought/think it will go away. Didn't know how to accurately describe it until now. Hopefully AoA will address over near term and we'll see a 'fix' or solution. Hate to think it's on the owner to find a fix if many experience it over a long term.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The "chatter" when slightly riding the brakes at low speed is not abnormal for Audis. All four of my Audis exhibit(ed) this over 13 years. It gets better over time but has always been there, even after replacing worn brakes with other non-OEM rotors/pads over the years. At least in my case, it only occurs if the brake pedal is depressed slightly and just so at a low speed "creep" and even then, it's very mild. Frankly, it doesn't bother me as I can easily avoid it happening by applying the correct pedal pressure and not riding the brakes while moving slowly. I don't even think about it anymore.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Experiencing the same thing with 2014 A6 2.0T Quattro. It is at dealer for second time trying to determine what is causing it. At 5k miles it was doing it and they replaced the pads, now at 8k still doing it. The techs and I took out another A6 2.0T Quattro out of r a drive and it made a little noise but not nearly as loud as mine. It only seems to do it on Quattro models as the CVT trans goes into neutral when the vehicle is stopped and prevents pressure on pads. Will report back once Audi figures it out.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Have had 2 A6s (both C7) and they both do this. My previous Audis and loaners (A4, TT, etc. . .) don't do this so its something specific to the A6 brake system. Those Audis have very smooth braking feel with no noise.

Not the most annoying thing, but def not a smooth braking experience with this car. Sometimes when slowing to a stop, like in stop and go traffic where I have to break quickly from a slow speed, I get a shutter feeling in the brake pedal as well - not confidence inspiring!

Bottom line - not impressed with the brakes in this car!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I owned a 2013 A6 2.OT. It had the stutter and noise problems as indicated by the starter of this thread as well as jerky brakes. The problem was never corrected.

I purchased a 2014 A6 3.0 in December 2013. This car has not had a single problem of any kind. One would surmise that these two cars were built by different makers.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2014 has never had this issue. I also got an A3 loaner last week and the difference in applied pressure is totally different. The foot effort in my A6 if applied in the A3 would make an emergency stop with ABS chatter. Anyone with an A6 and an A3 in their garage would really have a hard time every time they switched cars for a trip.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2012 A6 3.0 had this brake noise problem, but it was gone after a year. My 2014 A6 3.0 doesn't have this problem at all, and it doesn't produce a lot of dust on the alloy wheel.

Quick Reply: Noise / stutter when releasing brakes slowly from stop?