Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Not Loving New A6/C7 brakes- Is it Just me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Loving New A6/C7 brakes- Is it Just me?

I'm a newbie Audi owner- just picked up my new 2012 A6 Prestige 3.0 / 20" sport Pak/ Full Led etc. yesterday-screaming deal too. Love everything about this car but the brakes!!! I'm coming from a 5 series BMW plus past Infiniti, etc. but the brakes on this Audi are just very spongy and have a "slow to stop" feeling. I know the publications show good stopping distances but I find that I am constantly braking much sooner into turns and stop signs as the brake pedal feel is just not confidence inspiring. I have only 200 mi. on the car- any pointers or feedback from others would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pogodog
I'm a newbie Audi owner- just picked up my new 2012 A6 Prestige 3.0 / 20" sport Pak/ Full Led etc. yesterday-screaming deal too. Love everything about this car but the brakes!!! I'm coming from a 5 series BMW plus past Infiniti, etc. but the brakes on this Audi are just very spongy and have a "slow to stop" feeling. I know the publications show good stopping distances but I find that I am constantly braking much sooner into turns and stop signs as the brake pedal feel is just not confidence inspiring. I have only 200 mi. on the car- any pointers or feedback from others would be appreciated.
I felt the same way when I first got my A5. The truth is, BMW brakes are rather grabby...once you get used to that, everything else starts to feel spongy. You will adapt to the Audi brakes after a couple of weeks.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Brake feel is 1 of the 2 gripes I have. I still can't be smooth with the brakes. It feels like they like to be driven aggressively.

2nd gripe is closeness of accel and brake pedals and my big feet....
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toneman82
Brake feel is 1 of the 2 gripes I have. I still can't be smooth with the brakes. It feels like they like to be driven aggressively.

2nd gripe is closeness of accel and brake pedals and my big feet....

I agree- It seems like I have to stomp on the pedal to get quick stopping power. If you press lightly it seams to react with a non-smooth slowing down that feels like the front end is a little choppy or an uneven brake feel on the rotors.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Soory about the last bump- I was just responding to Monza5- I agree, it seems like I need to stomp on the brakes to get a strong reply- if I press lightly the stoping is not smooth and lamost feels a little choppy as if the rotors are not smooth.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, I have 1500 miles on mine and am still getting used to the softer brakes. I previously drove a B8 S4, and B6 S4 before that.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find that the pedal feel is certainly softer than it was in my '08 Cadillac CTS with sport brake package, but the stopping power is definitely there. I've gotten used to the pedal feel. While the pedal action is a bit softer, there is still a well-defined progression to the pedal and I haven't noticed any sort of brake fade under continued 'spirited' driving, so I can't really complain about it too much. Just something to get used to.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nyuni
I find that the pedal feel is certainly softer than it was in my '08 Cadillac CTS with sport brake package, but the stopping power is definitely there. I've gotten used to the pedal feel. While the pedal action is a bit softer, there is still a well-defined progression to the pedal and I haven't noticed any sort of brake fade under continued 'spirited' driving, so I can't really complain about it too much. Just something to get used to.
I agree. They suck
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my 2012 back to the dealer 2x for "brake feel" and sadly it's normal. Drove two demo A6s and they were all exactly the same. Good stopping power but u need to stomp on it. Sad, my Q5 has better brake feel and apparently there isn't anything that can be done - at least that makes financial sense.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

man I wish I would have read this about 10 minutes ago. I just called the dealer to make an appointment because the brakes seem off. I guess I shouldn't waste my time?! That car has 900 miles on it!

Quick Reply: Not Loving New A6/C7 brakes- Is it Just me?