Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Now I Am Beginning To Rethink This

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
That is how I understood it. I have NO idea why the seat felt more comfortable last night. There really is no logical explanation that I can think of unless I really am starting to go crazy.
Maybe it's the inverse of:

"I didn't realize the seats were uncomfortable until someone told me they so"?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the posters above: I have tested the car (as I have said countless times) and just didn't feel that the 2.0 CVT was right for me - that is why we are waiting for the 2.0 in the new transmission with quattro.

I don't need to go 120 MPH in my car (unless he meant KPH - which would be fine).

I wasn't interested in the previous Lexus 350 either but the new one - particularly the hybrid - looks like it will be a nice car. Of course I know it's not a competitor of the A6 - but then why do we need to be restricted to certain cars? I test drove both the BMW 328 and 528 - loved the 328 but it's too small - was not crazy for the 528.

We will most likely wind up with the new 2013 A6 2.0 - but I do want to test drive the new Lexus 300 hybrid - I am willing to bet that the A6 will easily outperform the Lexus but that the Lexus will be more comfortable - better optioned - and less expensive (although that last one is not a consideration).
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my 2 cents on this topic.

I has not owned a new car for 23 years, raising a family and putting 2 kids thru college kinda had higher priority. That all changed when I purchesed a 2005 ES330 which was fully loaded and preformed great. It rode really nice, had adjustable shocks, and had very comfortable seats as expected of a Lexus. I traded it in for a 2007 ES350, which my wife has now. Absolutely no problems with it. Mileage approaching 100K thanks to the wife. When I retired I purchased a Lexus HS250 which I kept for 2 yrs and put about 20K miles on it. For my first hybrid it preformed very well had more get-up than most people probably expected. Max mileage achieved was 40mpg. City driving usually 33mpg but it is not a performance car. When I saw the 2012 make over of the A6 it really caught my eye. I traded in my HS250 for my A6 and still really love the car. Have had the car on the track 3 times and most people are amazed at how well it handles and performs on the track. Yes, I do have the 20" sport package. The MMI user interface for this year is an improvement over past years but the UI for all Lexus vehicles is still the best in the industry, in my opinion. Yes, the A6 seats are not as comfortable as the Lexus seats but they will do just fine. The performance of the car, stock, is just great and as far as I can tell beats it's competition hands down.

One more thing. One reason I went to Lexus was their reputation for customer service, which is great. So, when I started looking at the A6 I did have concern about the Audi dealerships living upto the same standard and told the salesman of my concern. So far that concern has been alleviated as I have had nothing but great service and attitude from the dealership where I bought the car and my local dealership were it will be serviced.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by palermo22
To the posters above: I have tested the car (as I have said countless times) and just didn't feel that the 2.0 CVT was right for me - that is why we are waiting for the 2.0 in the new transmission with quattro.

I don't need to go 120 MPH in my car (unless he meant KPH - which would be fine).

I wasn't interested in the previous Lexus 350 either but the new one - particularly the hybrid - looks like it will be a nice car. Of course I know it's not a competitor of the A6 - but then why do we need to be restricted to certain cars? I test drove both the BMW 328 and 528 - loved the 328 but it's too small - was not crazy for the 528.

We will most likely wind up with the new 2013 A6 2.0 - but I do want to test drive the new Lexus 300 hybrid - I am willing to bet that the A6 will easily outperform the Lexus but that the Lexus will be more comfortable - better optioned - and less expensive (although that last one is not a consideration).

Ill be interested in your thoughts on the Lexus. I have not driven one in 3 years, and I understand the new ES is quite a bit different. I was thinking I would look at both the ES and the GS. Nothing to lose by looking to be sure!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 3.0T Prestige and have none of the problems you mention. Three long trips and in town. I have had the car since November and have found it to be one of the best cars I have ever owned. Power is as expected, seat comfort is excellent, Gas mileage is better than I thought. My other cars are Vettes and a Tahoe and it compares very well. I absolutely have no complaints.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Texas Audi
I have a 3.0T Prestige and have none of the problems you mention. Three long trips and in town. I have had the car since November and have found it to be one of the best cars I have ever owned. Power is as expected, seat comfort is excellent, Gas mileage is better than I thought. My other cars are Vettes and a Tahoe and it compares very well. I absolutely have no complaints.
As I have stated alraedy - we're not talking about the 3.0 Prestige (which is almost in another league compared to the 2.0 Premium or Premium Plus - $10,000 - $20,0000 difference). It's a different engine - different brakes and transmission - different seats and probably other goodies.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

For what its worth, I drove a Lexus GS350 tonight (F Sport trim). Its is more of a competitor to the A6 3.0T in power, features, and price. I think the competitor to the 2.0T would be more the ES, but the 2013's are not out yet.

It was a very nice car. To me the seats were more comfortable than the Audi (but not by as wide of a margin as the BMW seats were). The Audi is a better looking car to me, and handles a bit better (although the F Sport handled much better than I thought it would). I like the interior design of the Audi better for same reasons I like the Audi better than the BMW - the dash in the Lexus feels "high" to me. The user interface for the Lexus was very busy - and had a "mouse" kind of interface that was less intuitive than I expected. I think I like the MMI of the Audi better. One odd thing was the Lexus did not seem to have a folding rear seat - and the trunk did not seem as large as you might think. Maybe it is an option, but was not on the car we looked at.

MSRP is almost exactly the same... Lexus seems fairly motivated right now (end of quarter), but still did not get a what I would consider a killer price.

I think if long highway cruises are the intended use, the Lexus is a very nice choice.

I would love to see the new ES... less expensive, and at least by the initial reviews online it seems to be more of a drivers car then the 2012 (which is pretty obviously a fancy Camry). I looked at the 2012 in the showroom, and it didn't really appeal to me much.

jc
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I looked at the new GS as well before buying the A6, and the things that killed it for me included:

No folding rear seat (which means no road bike in the trunk, which ruled it out instantly). And the layout of the trunk, while technically having I think a slight edge on "cargo volume" seems oddly shaped and unlikely to fit a full family weekend load of luggage compared to the rectangular A6 trunk.

The screen and mouse, which while large, seems very Colecovision compared to the refined look of the MMI. The mouse resistance, which adjusts based on the screen, just seemed strange and the large "hump" that contains the mouse is a complete eyesore. Just give me a trackpad like my MacBook Pro and it would be a major improvement.

The GS was very Lexus, and it was nice, but the A6 won out on road feel, looks, and full LED lighting.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Maybe it's the inverse of:

"I didn't realize the seats were uncomfortable until someone told me they so"?
I never thought about the seats being comfortable. But every time I hear it mentioned here, I pay extra close attention to that when I go back to my car. And as hard as I try to find anything uncomfortable about them, I just can't.

The level of comfort that they provide is at a level that along with all the other factors on this C7 A6 make me confident every time I step into it, that I made the right choice.

Now, there may be better seats out there in this category and even in this model range(S6), but I am pretty confident that these seats are comfortable enough for anyone who decided to buy one.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I guess I could repeat this one more time: we are not talking about the Prestige model - they have a different seat than the premium and premium plus model - and even those owners might not have an issue with the comfort level or the leather wear - but there were enough negative comments on here that it was worth mentioning.

Quick Reply: Now I Am Beginning To Rethink This