Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Odd passenger mirror memory behavior

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd passenger mirror memory behavior

I have a very odd issue that started occurring this afternoon on my A6. Bare with me as it is - as you'll see - very odd.

My passenger side mirror will not return to its predefine memory position after doing the reverse tilt, manually moved or when I get into the car after my wife has driven it (using her key and as such - her profile).

Let assume I have the mirror saved at position X; if I move the mirror all the way up and then press the memory button to return it back to its spot, it stops at X+2. If I move the mirror all the way down and then press the button, it stops at X-2. I can manually move it to position X without a problem, but it will not go to that position using the memory button.

Another odd observation is that when it stops at either X+2 or X-1, and I press the and release the memory button, you can see the mirror moving about a millimeter or so (and only the first couple times you press the button) and you can hear a faint winding noise form the electrical motor as if it is trying to move something but cannot.

Mind you - using the joystick to move the mirror works perfectly fine - mirror can move to any direction without any issues. On top of that, the mirror tilts on reverse into my predefined saved position.

So - Have you seen this behavior and is there a procedure to completely reset the mirror memory positioning? I'd like to give it a shot and then re-position the mirrors, save and try again...
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Aside from re-memorizing it to the desired position, there is nothing else I'm aware of to try. You don't show what model year you have in your sig but if still under warranty, have it checked.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a 2014 TDI. The dealer was perplexed as well and thinks perhaps a module update may resolve it. It's really odd; I have to basically aim and save it higher than what my optimal position is in order for it to move to that from reverse tilt...
Old 12-08-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only other thing I can think of is that it may be link to the your Smart Key. I don't think so, but it's worth a try.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
The only other thing I can think of is that it may be link to the your Smart Key. I don't think so, but it's worth a try.
Side mirror positions are definitely linked to the key but I believe the OP said the position was already memorized
Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Side mirror positions are definitely linked to the key but I believe the OP said the position was already memorized
Correct; it is memorized and assigned to my key.

My coworker has been listening to the mirror and mentioned that when it is moving to memorized position by holding the memory button, once it reaches the not-quite-there spot, the motor starts making whirring/grinding noises - like it is skipping a tooth except if I move it with the joystick, it works fine...!