Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil consumption on 3.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Your gas mileage is similar to mine on a recent trip I did (MI to FL) -- 30 mpg on way down some 1300 miles fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage. Most of time driving between 70 and 80 with some slower stints where lots of traffic or left lane bandits. It is amazing how quickly the car gets up to 90+ mph on the highway when you put your foot into it. Reminds me of a pre-emission controlled small American small (Chevy or Olds 350 to be precise).
Apparently I don't write/type well and certainly my proof reading is getting worse. Meant to say "small American V8." Apologies. Now, back to oil burning! LOL.

Best,
Jeff
Old 09-09-2021, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Just an update on my /15 A6 3.0T (59,750 miles). Last oil change at 54,500 miles, most of the 5,250 miles since oil change has been highway miles (trip from MI to FL and couple trips from MI to Toronto) -- per MMI and the dipstick, no discernable oil consumption. I am on the 5,000 mile OCI program. Over the life of the car I have never detected any oil usage between changes. I consider this good news and consider myself lucky but then again given what I've seen on this board and what I'm told by the tech that works on my car and the service manager at the dealer, the 3.0T is not known for oil usage.

And FWIW I ran into a fellow at the Costco gas bar last week who had exact same car as mine, down to the color, but a 2014 model year. We got to talking and he told me he has 164,000 miles on his A6 and drives it hard. He told me that the only engine issue he has had is need for a carbon cleaning. I imagine he's gone through some wheel bearings and he didn't mention anything about engine mounts but I suspect that he may have had to deal with that. Perhaps PCV as well. At any rate it was encouraging to see and hear his car start up with 164K miles and hear what he said. I'm not sure I have the appetite to hang on to my A6 that long but was good to hear that he hasn't had a ton of serious issues.

Best,
Jeff
Old 09-11-2021, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Just an update on my /15 A6 3.0T (59,750 miles). Last oil change at 54,500 miles, most of the 5,250 miles since oil change has been highway miles (trip from MI to FL and couple trips from MI to Toronto) -- per MMI and the dipstick, no discernable oil consumption. I am on the 5,000 mile OCI program. Over the life of the car I have never detected any oil usage between changes. I consider this good news and consider myself lucky but then again given what I've seen on this board and what I'm told by the tech that works on my car and the service manager at the dealer, the 3.0T is not known for oil usage.

And FWIW I ran into a fellow at the Costco gas bar last week who had exact same car as mine, down to the color, but a 2014 model year. We got to talking and he told me he has 164,000 miles on his A6 and drives it hard. He told me that the only engine issue he has had is need for a carbon cleaning. I imagine he's gone through some wheel bearings and he didn't mention anything about engine mounts but I suspect that he may have had to deal with that. Perhaps PCV as well. At any rate it was encouraging to see and hear his car start up with 164K miles and hear what he said. I'm not sure I have the appetite to hang on to my A6 that long but was good to hear that he hasn't had a ton of serious issues.

Best,
Jeff
That's very encouraging. I don't drive my cars especially hard and I'm conscientious about the maintenance. So that said and with your experience and that of the other A6 owner, hopefully the A6 will do well over the years. I've bought all the tools to do my own basic maintenance. I'm hoping to find a good, honest indy to do some of the complicated stuff.