Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

One opinion: A6/C7 pricing from TrueCar.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One opinion: A6/C7 pricing from TrueCar.com

2012 Audi A6 Pricing Summary

What is the Actual Dealer Cost?
Did you know that the factory invoice price and what the dealer actually paid are not the same? Yep, it's true. The invoice price for the 2012 Audi A6 is on average 0.931% greater than the actual dealer cost, so caveat emptor. The dealer's actual price includes at least $392 in dealer holdback, or funds that are provided to the dealer by Audi after the sale of the vehicle. The actual car dealer cost for a 2012 Audi A6 currently trends 6.867% below the original manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).

How is the Average Price Paid Trending?
For the base model, the average price for a new 2012 Audi A6 is trending $917 below the manufacturer's sticker price. For the five available 2012 Audi A6 trim lines, the average savings is 1.952% below the sticker price.

Our Sticker Price Includes the Destination Fee
Why does the TrueCar sticker price not match the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) found on most other websites? We think most sites don't truly care about price, and believe that not disclosing destination fees or shipping charges upfront creates confusion over hidden fees when at the dealership. Why else would many car manufacturer or leading research websites not include destination fee charges in the display of the MSRP until you've indicated that you want to buy that car? For us it's simple: because the destination charge is always found on the window sticker of a new car, and is a fee that generally is not negotiable, TrueCar includes the value in the calculation of the MSRP wherever it is shown as a total. The destination fee for the 2012 Audi A6 is at least $875, and can vary by region. This fee is included in every sticker price, invoice price, average paid and dealer cost price total on our site.

Car Price Negotiability
The 2012 Audi A6 has a TrueCar Price Flexibility Score of 3, which indicates no real negotiating room with the car dealer. New car buyers should expect to pay the average price with little to no discount.

For a no-haggle, no-hassle experience that avoids negotiation altogether, TrueCar recommends buying from one of the 50 Audi dealers found on the Best Local Price buying program.

Available Manufacturer Incentives, Bonus Cash and Rebates
There are no manufacturer incentives or cash rebates currently being offered for the 2012 Audi A6.

When available, customer cash and dealer incentives can have a significant impact on a car buyer's ability to negotiate a great deal. If you are negotiating the purchase of a new A6 on your own, TrueCar recommends keeping all rebate and incentive information in hand until you come to an agreed purchase price for the specific A6 you want to buy. Better yet, avoid negotiation altogether and leave the handling of Audi customer cash and dealer incentives to TrueCar, as we factor these values into all of the A6 pricing automatically.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting..I've not heard of this site, need to take a look. It's surprising that negations are listed as non flexible (in general). One would assume the opposite with today's economy. Thanks for sharing
Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

This TrueCar site is obviously a 'for profit' site. I contacted the NJ dealers about their 'no-haggle' pricing as advertised on the TC site. They have a deal with TrueCar that is a flat $1500 off MSRP. This came out to 2.4% off for the $61,480 optioned car I wanted. I did not wind up ordering from any of these dealers.

My best guess on the business model is that the dealers will pay a 'referral' fee to the website. That said, there is additional room below the TC 2.4% for movement. If you can buy at 2.4% off, then there is still wiggle room. The $392 holdback is a good start. I did get an email from one of the NJ dealers stating they would sell at invoice. Soooo, according to TrueCar, that is 6.867% off MSRP.

I have not seen any 'cheap money' for the A6/C7 from Audi. With 5 month wait times quoted often, they are feeling happy about manufacturing planning (the question is how many of these orders will convert to actually closing the deals). That said, just yesterday, the German stock markets fell 3% from pressure of the PIG nations about to default (Portugal, Ireland, Greece) as well as the Swiss Frank creating a new trading level against the Euro.... There is pressure on their cash. I believe the German auto manufacturers will do what is necessary to keep the sales up in the US and I personally hope it translates into 'free money' by the time my car arrives in December.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AutobahnA6
This TrueCar site is obviously a 'for profit' site. I contacted the NJ dealers about their 'no-haggle' pricing as advertised on the TC site. They have a deal with TrueCar that is a flat $1500 off MSRP. This came out to 2.4% off for the $61,480 optioned car I wanted. I did not wind up ordering from any of these dealers.

My best guess on the business model is that the dealers will pay a 'referral' fee to the website. That said, there is additional room below the TC 2.4% for movement. If you can buy at 2.4% off, then there is still wiggle room. The $392 holdback is a good start. I did get an email from one of the NJ dealers stating they would sell at invoice. Soooo, according to TrueCar, that is 6.867% off MSRP.

I have not seen any 'cheap money' for the A6/C7 from Audi. With 5 month wait times quoted often, they are feeling happy about manufacturing planning (the question is how many of these orders will convert to actually closing the deals). That said, just yesterday, the German stock markets fell 3% from pressure of the PIG nations about to default (Portugal, Ireland, Greece) as well as the Swiss Frank creating a new trading level against the Euro.... There is pressure on their cash. I believe the German auto manufacturers will do what is necessary to keep the sales up in the US and I personally hope it translates into 'free money' by the time my car arrives in December.
At invoice? wow, nice find! Did some searching on the site and Consumer reports provides better pricing if you're a member (though no way near invoice). I'm hoping the same thing regarding free money (a nice low rate would be great) by the time my car comes in.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll retract that statement regarding consumer reports...Plugged in my old zip code on Long Island and pricing was at invoice. Out here in New Mexico/Arizona the deals are not as good. I assume this is secondary to dealer competition back east.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used true car to get a price of 1k over invoice or $2500 off msrp from a dealer 170 miles away. Took it to my local dealer and they matched it even though they don't apparently do the true car thing. This was in early august and my previous discussions with the local dealer were the old "this is a new hot model bla, bla, bla and we are looking at full msrp bla, bla, bla." I don't think it's a sellers market on any car right now, new generation or not. I think with hold back and all they made about $1600.00 and I felt that was fair enough. They did a spot on job at delivery and were helpful after the sale with bringing me up to speed on some of the new tech gadgets. ( Lithia in Des Moines )
Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live out on the West Coast (Pasadena) and just used this service to put in an order on a new A6. It worked like a charm. I plugged in the build I was looking for on the website and a couple of dealerships out here offered the Factory Invoice price. Walked in to the nearest dealership by me and no haggling, worked out the deal pretty quickly within an hour, put in a factory order for a Quartz Gray Prestige, 19" Sport Pkg, Side Assist, full LEDs. Now I just need to wait for December for my car to arrive . I would highly recommend the website, as well as my dealership Rusnak Audi in Pasadena for anyone that is interested.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aerobat
Used true car to get a price of 1k over invoice or $2500 off msrp from a dealer 170 miles away. Took it to my local dealer and they matched it even though they don't apparently do the true car thing. This was in early august and my previous discussions with the local dealer were the old "this is a new hot model bla, bla, bla and we are looking at full msrp bla, bla, bla." I don't think it's a sellers market on any car right now, new generation or not. I think with hold back and all they made about $1600.00 and I felt that was fair enough. They did a spot on job at delivery and were helpful after the sale with bringing me up to speed on some of the new tech gadgets. ( Lithia in Des Moines )
So, when you take delivery 170 miles away, are you planning on driving the car back on the highway without following break-in procedures?
Just curious as to what fellow forum friends do when they buy a new car from a dealership that requires them to drive long distances after delivery!
TIA
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was talking with a dealer 200 miles away in NJ that was willing to deliver the car to my home (via truck) for the TrueCar price. That was a nice bonus... afterall, I wouldn't be taking the free oil changes for life.