Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Plastic Gauge Cluster Lens Swirls - Finally gone

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Plastic Gauge Cluster Lens Swirls - Finally gone

Thought I'd share this.
After cleaning my plastic gauge cluster a few weeks ago, I noticed there were quite few very light scratches/swirls in the lens, probably caused by my wiping the dust off with a microfiber cloth. (I know; I shouldn't have done that). They weren't deep but annoyingly visible when the sun would hit the gauge cluster just right.

After searching the forums and the Googleing the internet, I tried several products recommended by others, i.e. PlastX, Plexus and some home remedies a few swore by, all to no avail - while it helped a bit, the scratches were still there. Then I came across others who had used Mother's Plastic Polish; I bought a bottle and tried it - lo and behold, it worked. Using a clean terry pad and terry towel as instructed (not microfiber) with a bit of elbow grease, I was able to restore the plastic cover to it's clear, swirl-free, good as new glory.

So if you have light scratches and/or swirls on your plastic gauge lens and other products aren't working for you, try the Mother's.

Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been an employee, owner or shareholder of this company. I don't know anyone who has ever worked there and furthermore, I don't even know where they make the stuff; (nor do I care - it works).
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking in doing that!. It is really annoying to see you gauges all scratched. Now I have to find the product here in Colombia.

Mind a Link from amazon or ebay with the products you used successfully?

Thank you very much in advance
Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a Chrysler many years ago where the plastic covering the gauges actually went inward from top to bottom so dust never accumulated, not sure if that wa an intentional design of coincidence. I loved it because I never had to clean it. It also remove the chance of glare off the plastic, great idea, wish other makers would think of little things like that.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Best_jose
Mind a Link from amazon or ebay with the products you used successfully?

Thank you very much in advance
Just Google "Mothers Plastic Polish".
Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Thought I'd share this.
After cleaning my plastic gauge cluster a few weeks ago, I noticed there were quite few very light scratches/swirls in the lens, probably caused by my wiping the dust off with a microfiber cloth. (I know; I shouldn't have done that). They weren't deep but annoyingly visible when the sun would hit the gauge cluster just right.

After searching the forums and the Googleing the internet, I tried several products recommended by others, i.e. PlastX, Plexus and some home remedies a few swore by, all to no avail - while it helped a bit, the scratches were still there. Then I came across others who had used Mother's Plastic Polish; I bought a bottle and tried it - lo and behold, it worked. Using a clean terry pad and terry towel as instructed (not microfiber) with a bit of elbow grease, I was able to restore the plastic cover to it's clear, swirl-free, good as new glory.

So if you have light scratches and/or swirls on your plastic gauge lens and other products aren't working for you, try the Mother's.

Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been an employee, owner or shareholder of this company. I don't know anyone who has ever worked there and furthermore, I don't even know where they make the stuff; (nor do I care - it works).
Can you please be more specific on what did you use? I googled terry pad and weird stuff comes up, and terry towel looks exactly as a microfiber, also "elbow grease" as doing it by hand or an actual product called elbow grease (that exists too)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a couple of clean, soft cotton applicator pads I use. "Elbow grease" is an expression up here to mean using some extra effort - I just followed the directions on the bottle which said to use a soft terry cloth or applicator and put the "Mothers Plastic Polish" on the pad and rub vigorously in a circular motion. When the liquid dries to a haze, use another terry cloth or microfiber cloth to wipe off the same way. It took me a couple of applications to get the scratches out.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have a couple of clean, soft cotton applicator pads I use. "Elbow grease" is an expression up here to mean using some extra effort - I just followed the directions on the bottle which said to use a soft terry cloth or applicator and put the "Mothers Plastic Polish" on the pad and rub vigorously in a circular motion. When the liquid dries to a haze, use another terry cloth or microfiber cloth to wipe off the same way. It took me a couple of applications to get the scratches out.
I thought it was an expression until I found this online, so better ask first.thanks
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by feralc
I thought it was an expression until I found this online, so better ask first.thanks
Ha! I guess every expression has been used somewhere in a product name.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I too have some minor swirls on the plastic gauge cluster lens and what appear to be tiny spots of something that resists gentle water and a soft cloth. They appeared after the car was in the body shop for rear bumper repairs. I think it is quite likely with all the things being sprayed around, something airborne or aerosolized landed on the instrument cluster lens while the car was in the shop, but I didn’t notice it until many weeks later.
I have some Permatex Plastic Cleaner Part No. 403D. I tried it on two old plastic lensed wall clocks today and the results were sort of amazing. I am planning to try it on the A6’s gauge cluster lens and will update on the results.
Anyone interested can read the Technical Data Sheet for this product by following this link:

http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/catalog...ic_cleaner.pdf

The Product Description in the data sheet says it all. They skip the final direction: let dry and wipe away with a clean, dry soft cloth. I got it in a 16 OZ can (like paint thinner or mineral spirits might come in), not a spray container. I will definitely try it. Maybe I’ll use Mothers as a finish product; we’ll see.
FWIW – I had used Mothers Plastic Polish on the headlight covers of my friend’s old CRV and it worked wonders.

Last edited by irenesbob; 07-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Banned

Snagit, so a terry cloth NOT a microfiber right?
So basically a towel.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Plastic Gauge Cluster Lens Swirls - Finally gone