Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Potential migration from BMW 550i to A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=psychodo;24430881]
Originally Posted by feralc
MAYBE against the 2012 that has 400hp and 450ft-lbs ( and that is a big maybe because the torque is monstruous) but the 2013 is 445p and 480ft-lbs, honestly our cars will be destroyed, even the S7 will have a hard time to compete against those numbers. Because I feel our cars as fast as an S7 but only in short acceleration, in a quarter of mile or more the S7 will win.[/

sounds like you two dig the GIAc tune..been really thinking about going for it. I'm moving next month and there is an dealer nearby that can do the tune.did it take long?
Well, according to one of the car magazines, I think MT, the 650i did 0-60 in 4.2 sec and the S7 did it in 3.9 sec. The 650i is about 300lbs heavier than our cars and they are turbo'd and the lag hurts their performance where we do not have any lag.

Here is quote from MT comparison of MB CLS550, BMW 650i and S7:

"Things have changed. Complete with AWD and a 402-hp, 4.7-liter twin-turbo V-8 (biggest displacement engine of the test), the CLS550's 0-60 and quarter-mile times were the slowest of the trio, with 4.4 and 12.9 seconds at 110.6 mph -- more or less even with a Ford Mustang GT, but definitely slower than the other two. The 445-hp BMW Gran Coupe clips 60 mph in 4.2 seconds before tackling the quarter mile in 12.7 seconds at 108 mph. The Audi? It's steroidal sports-car-fast, friends, hitting 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and knocking off the quarter in 12.3 seconds at 112.1 mph. Pretty astonishing for a 4435-pounder with the smallest displacement engine of the test, a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 that's probably underrated at only 420 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. And by probably, I mean absolutely, no question."

Last edited by jr'sAudiA6; 04-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=psychodo;24430881]
MAYBE against the 2012 that has 400hp and 450ft-lbs ( and that is a big maybe because the torque is monstruous) but the 2013 is 445p and 480ft-lbs, honestly our cars will be destroyed, even the S7 will have a hard time to compete against those numbers. Because I feel our cars as fast as an S7 but only in short acceleration, in a quarter of mile or more the S7 will win.[/

sounds like you two dig the GIAc tune..been really thinking about going for it. I'm moving next month and there is an dealer nearby that can do the tune.did it take long?
No more than one hour, it is really nice, and they include a handheld device to chance programs, 91 (or 93 octane), 100 octane, valet and stock, I don't know if Stasis does that, I really don't care about the warranty thing, this cars will never break because of a tune, at least not for the 4 years 50k miles the factory warranty is provided.
It is really fast.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if the dealer does it that would void the warranty? I have a CPO A6 Prestige so it's 5yr/100K.. Also, anybody have an idea how much this might cost?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mindsweeper
So, if the dealer does it that would void the warranty? I have a CPO A6 Prestige so it's 5yr/100K.. Also, anybody have an idea how much this might cost?
What'll happen is that it'll get marked in Audi's system saying it's been modified. If your engine or transmission blows up and they can prove it was your tune, you're out of luck. If your radio stops working you'll still be fine.

STaSIS actually provides a replacement warranty and will work with Audi if it's something their tune caused, and if Audi proves it's them STaSIS covers the damage. I don't believe GIAC does this.

I'd like to say the STaSIS one was $2500, not sure about GIAC.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Banned

The dealer can't do it, the tune is performed by GIAC directly (or a GIAC dealer not Audi dealer), in my case I tell the Audi dealer to not hook the computer to Audis computer and he is fine with that, he doesn't want anybody to be branded TD1, he will lose business.
I believe GIAC is still 1500 dlls
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=feralc;24430955]
Originally Posted by psychodo

No more than one hour, it is really nice, and they include a handheld device to chance programs, 91 (or 93 octane), 100 octane, valet and stock, I don't know if Stasis does that, I really don't care about the warranty thing, this cars will never break because of a tune, at least not for the 4 years 50k miles the factory warranty is provided.
It is really fast.
That's quick...and not too expensive. Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely going to look into the tune.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer can't do it, the tune is performed by GIAC directly (or a GIAC dealer not Audi dealer), in my case I tell the Audi dealer to not hook the computer to Audis computer and he is fine with that, he doesn't want anybody to be branded TD1, he will lose business.
I believe GIAC is still 1500 dlls
I may have gotten it wrong - STaSIS may be $1500... I can't find the post anymore.

My understanding is you just send them the ECU - which is pretty easy to remove on your own.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by -Scirocco-
I may have gotten it wrong - STaSIS may be $1500... I can't find the post anymore.

My understanding is you just send them the ECU - which is pretty easy to remove on your own.
Exactly they do it, you must send the ECU to them but some people find that task too complicated so GIAC advises them to take heir car to one of the dealers and have theECU removed there, in any case you end up with a couple of days with an useless car ( the time to ship it there and receive it back)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exactly they do it, you must send the ECU to them but some people find that task too complicated so GIAC advises them to take heir car to one of the dealers and have theECU removed there, in any case you end up with a couple of days with an useless car ( the time to ship it there and receive it back)
Call me crazy.. But, I went on Stasis site but they don't have a tune for A6? They offer suspension, exhaust/intake.. Can someone direct me to a located in NY/NJ area that can perform this task? Also, I see others have asked their professional not to hook up with Audi computer and have the vehicle tagged. Is that possible? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Banned

Call me crazy.. But, I went on Stasis site but they don't have a tune for A6? They offer suspension, exhaust/intake.. Can someone direct me to a located in NY/NJ area that can perform this task? Also, I see others have asked their professional not to hook up with Audi computer and have the vehicle tagged. Is that possible? Thanks.
Stasis has a tune for your car it is new they haven't updated their website, but I was talking about GIAC not Stasis, regarding the computer, it is possible but you must have a good relationship with your dealer ( dealers can enter the TD1 code manually too but it is very rare because they will lose you as a client), take into consideration though that some warranty work requires that your computer is hooked up to Audi's so the dealer is paid for the work by Audi, because of this try to get all the updates and fix everything prior to do this, in example I haven't upgraded my MMI to version 0566 (street view in Google maps) because that will require the computer to hook it up OR I can pay the dealer to do so instead of a warranty work, it has drawbacks but I prefer to not have the latest update of the MMI than risking have the car flagged TD1 because of that.

Quick Reply: Potential migration from BMW 550i to A6