Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Pre Sense Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Sense Plus

Wondering if anyone will be able to provide information on the capabilities of Pre Sense Plus. Will the breaking action work independently without the activation of cruise control?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HLKNYC
Wondering if anyone will be able to provide information on the capabilities of Pre Sense Plus. Will the breaking action work independently without the activation of cruise control?
Yes, but the camera and radar sensors have to be clear and free of snow, mud, etc. as they usually are. I once was driving in a tight garage, very dark, and it said it was temporarily off because of "Lack of vision".
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the brake assist take action on me last week. Cruise control was not active. I had good distance to the car in front of me (over 3 seconds) as I drove up a T-section, I had my focus on a car comming from the right. A bit further ahead a truck pulled in and the car in front of me braked quite hard for like half a second. Since I didn't react to this, the braking assist slammed on the brakes HARD! When it let go, there was like still 2-3 car lengths between us. Caught me off guard, and got my pulse up! But it built confidence in the system. I was suprised at how far I was from the other car, and was really in no danger, but it's cool that the system can react to different speeds so fast.

I've also seen the system put on a warning lamp when I'm to close to another car, but without taking action when my foot is on the brake pedal. Also without the cruise engaged.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

While I had read all the stuff on pre-sense, I had not really internalized it yet. Today, I was travelling at the posted limit (45 mph) when a car three in front of me suddenly stopped half in the turn lane, and half in my active traffic lane, then did a U turn. Needless to say, everyone slammed on their brakes and the gaps between the cars suddenly compressed.

Pre-sense sounded the audible beep to tell me that there was a hazardous condition. I actually got on the brakes before it could but I have to say it was very confidence inspiring. While there was not any particular danger of a collision, the fact that the alert went off probably shortened my reaction time by a bit, which meant my braking was not as abrupt and as hard as it might have been, which gave the guy behind me a little more leeway. Yes, I was watching him carefully in the rear-view.

I hope to never need pre-sense to apply the brakes, but its nice to know its there if I ever need it. My wife and daughter were suitably impressed as well.

Chalk one more up for Audi. A VERY nice feature.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
While I had read all the stuff on pre-sense, I had not really internalized it yet. Today, I was travelling at the posted limit (45 mph) when a car three in front of me suddenly stopped half in the turn lane, and half in my active traffic lane, then did a U turn. Needless to say, everyone slammed on their brakes and the gaps between the cars suddenly compressed.

Pre-sense sounded the audible beep to tell me that there was a hazardous condition. I actually got on the brakes before it could but I have to say it was very confidence inspiring. While there was not any particular danger of a collision, the fact that the alert went off probably shortened my reaction time by a bit, which meant my braking was not as abrupt and as hard as it might have been, which gave the guy behind me a little more leeway. Yes, I was watching him carefully in the rear-view.

I hope to never need pre-sense to apply the brakes, but its nice to know its there if I ever need it. My wife and daughter were suitably impressed as well.

Chalk one more up for Audi. A VERY nice feature.

Glad you and the family are safe.

+1 for Audi
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a negative experience with the pre-sensor system. While traveling on the highway with cruise engaged the system left enough room in front of me for some idiot to jump in between me and the car ahead. The pre sensor jumped on the brakes and the car behind almost rear ended me. The lane jumper was traveling at a good speed and I didn't really need any braking action, just some de-acceleration would have done the trick. Scared the crap out of me and the guy behind me. I jumped on the gas to override the system, but is was a scary split second for sure.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
I had a negative experience with the pre-sensor system. While traveling on the highway with cruise engaged the system left enough room in front of me for some idiot to jump in between me and the car ahead. The pre sensor jumped on the brakes and the car behind almost rear ended me. The lane jumper was traveling at a good speed and I didn't really need any braking action, just some de-acceleration would have done the trick. Scared the crap out of me and the guy behind me. I jumped on the gas to override the system, but is was a scary split second for sure.
Then change the distance of the ACC and switch to dynamic.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HLKNYC
Yes absolutely, it's a great feature, the 3 step measures worked great. Tested it out once to do all 3 steps and it did them perfectly. (YES I TRUSTED IT TO STOP)

With my driving it reaches the first step of alarming the distance once a week.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Yes absolutely, it's a great feature, the 3 step measures worked great. Tested it out once to do all 3 steps and it did them perfectly. (YES I TRUSTED IT TO STOP)

With my driving it reaches the first step of alarming the distance once a week.
Will PreSense Plus work if approaching a stopped vehicle or only if following a moving car that stops short in front of you? I ask because I tried it coming up to a light behind stopped cars and I received no warnings and had to mash on the brakes at the last minute to avoid a collision. I've not seen or heard anything to confirm it's working. My ACC works great and stops the car as expected. I looked for a setting to see if I had to activate it but either I missed it or it there's no MMI option to enable it.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Only works if the car in front of you is moving. It will not detect stopped vehicles or other sationary objects.

Quick Reply: Pre Sense Plus