Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Probably a stupid question........

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a stupid question........

but it's driving me nuts. Is there any way to get out of the car and leave it running? Not a big deal in the summer, but in the winter I'd like to be able to start it and let it warm up for a few minutes when it's been snowing. Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut68
but it's driving me nuts. Is there any way to get out of the car and leave it running? Not a big deal in the summer, but in the winter I'd like to be able to start it and let it warm up for a few minutes when it's been snowing. Is there something I'm missing here?
Press the button on the dash which has an A with circle round it and it will disable the stop/start system. Also most likely in the winter, especially if has been cold enough to snow, it will not activate when you have just started the car as it waits until the engine has started to warm up before shutting off. You will most likely also have the front and rear screen defrosters activated and the load they place on the engine when cold will stop it switching off. In the same way when it is hot in the summer it will not activate if the ac is operating at high fan speed to cool the interior
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut68
Probably a stupid question........
Not to worry, my friend!
There is an old saying; "There are no stupid questions"*.

*Except the ones asked on internet forums that do not have the main question in the title.

Sorry, perhaps I need to switch to decaf. And welcome to the AW.

-Tom
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Press the button on the dash which has an A with circle round it and it will disable the stop/start system. Also most likely in the winter, especially if has been cold enough to snow, it will not activate when you have just started the car as it waits until the engine has started to warm up before shutting off. You will most likely also have the front and rear screen defrosters activated and the load they place on the engine when cold will stop it switching off. In the same way when it is hot in the summer it will not activate if the ac is operating at high fan speed to cool the interior
John, this doesn't work in my US 2013 with the Stop/start tuned off. It only defeats the Start/Stop, not the engine turning off if you leave the car. The only way I've found around this is to leave the keyfob in the car to keep the engine running.

Update: I was wrong about the key placement. See my post down the page. I've discovered there's a "trick" to this...

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
John, this doesn't work in my US 2013 with the Stop/start tuned off. It only defeats the Start/Stop, not the engine turning off if you leave the car. The only way I've found around this is to leave the keyfob in the car to keep the engine running.
Yes, you would of course need to leave the "key" in the car for it to continue running for any car with push button start to keep it running in
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you would of course need to leave the "key" in the car for it to continue running for any car with push button start to keep it running in
OH come on... That's not true AT ALL.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My 2009 A4 had push button start but the engine did not turn off if the key was removed from the car while running. I believe this is a fairly recent change in U.S. Audis at least.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have me curious now about my 2012... I think it will remain running . I have left the car with key in my pocket, but admitedly did not go far so perhaps it still sensed it.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
You have me curious now about my 2012... I think it will remain running . I have left the car with key in my pocket, but admitedly did not go far so perhaps it still sensed it.
Must be a US 2013 change. My engine stops as soon as I step out the door if the key is in my pocket.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, not true - my 08 Cadillac CTS, which was keyless, would continue running even if you left with the fob. It would just put a message on the DIC that the key wasn't present.

Originally Posted by Snagitseven
It used to be that way when I first got my 2013, but now if I open the door and step out, even leaving the key in the cupholder, it shuts right off. I just picked up a HEX+CAN cable from RossTech, and I've been poking through modules seeing if there's a way to defeat it...

Quick Reply: Probably a stupid question........