Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Problem at car wash

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem at car wash

I have a 2013 A6 Prestige and recently when I went to the car wash I got out of the car and left the key fob inside. When i was waiting for it on the other side there was a comotion on the other side because the car wouldn't move. I saw that it was off. Is there any way to prevent this? I have also noticed this when I take a drive and when I stop at my destination as soon as I open the door the car shuts off.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

This has been discussed and dissected many times. You can search the C7 A6 and A7 forums.

Short answer:

1) If you hit the start button to turn off the car and immediately restart, the door opening will not turn it off so long as the car has not moved. If the car wash guys open the door after driving it, just tell them to restart the car. (see # 3)
2) It's been reported that the latest software revision P0609 will eliminate this and the auto emergency brake "features".
3) Car washes and paint finish do not play well together. Those brushes and straps contain all the abrasive dirt and crud from all the filthy cars that went though before you, not to mention the harsh chemicals they use. If you MUST use an automated car wash, be sure it is a touchless drive through type. And, with a touchless, since you stay in the car, the door/auto turn off won't be an issue.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not to mention what those automated tracks can do to the 20" wheels when they aren't aligned right.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhatBoyG
Not to mention what those automated tracks can do to the 20" wheels when they aren't aligned right.

So even with the supposed touchless car washes don't they use those tracks as well which can screw up the 20's? I won't be washing my car in the cold so I have to find the gentlest of automated car washes during the winter. Lots of places say touchless but you see those flaps hanging down running over your car and the brushes rubbing against the sides so some really constitutes touchless?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In the winter, when I can't do a proper hand wash, I use the local indoor wand wash. Just stay away from the foamy brush, which definitely will scratch your paint. The wand will never clean as well as a friction wash, but it removes 90% of the dirt and causes 0% of the paint swirls. As a bonus, you can hose off the inside of your fender well, where all the slush and salt collect.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The least invasive and safest of the car washes are the ones where you drive into a bay, stop, and the machine goes over and/or around your car with nothing touching it except the soap and water. Some have dryer fans that go around your car and some dry as you pull slowly out after the wash. Better yet are those with an undercarriage spray as you enter the bay. Those are the only car washes I'll use in the winter. No wax option - wash and air dry only.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The least invasive and safest of the car washes are the ones where you drive into a bay, stop, and the machine goes over and/or around your car with nothing touching it except the soap and water. Some have dryer fans that go around your car and some dry as you pull slowly out after the wash. Better yet are those with an undercarriage spray as you enter the bay. Those are the only car washes I'll use in the winter. No wax option - wash and air dry only.
Yes I have seen/used those but my experience is that they really do not remove all the dirt and grime that can build up on a car over the winter months and with just the air dry the remaining dirt just dries on the paint. I guess that is to be expected during the winter months and I just wish there was a better option in the colder months for us folks who like a clean car.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ There is. Take a bucket, soap and wash mitt into the wand wash on a slow day. If they're not busy, they don't usually mind if you take the extra time.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
^^^ There is. Take a bucket, soap and wash mitt into the wand wash on a slow day. If they're not busy, they don't usually mind if you take the extra time.
+1 and it works for me.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
+1 and it works for me.
Yup thanks

Quick Reply: Problem at car wash