Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Question about oil extractor

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about oil extractor

So bought a oil extractor a few months ago. Close to my 10k mark which means time for the 5k change (this is NOT a "should you change oil every 5k or 10k post") , and picked up an oil filter today from the dealer. Just wanted to make sure there is nothing really special I would need to do vs. a standard oil change out of the drain plug?

Going to let it sit overnight to let oil fully drain to the pan before extracting. Not sure how you can tell when you are deep enough to stop putting hose in through the dip stick opening. Assume once you cant put anymore hose in you have hit the bottom of the oil pan, and should start extracting? I believe my extractor has a rubber stop in the middle of it that is used to close the vacuum at the dip stick opening?

Basically any advice from people that have used extractors would be great?

Extractor water tested as well and ensured no leaks. Based on how fast it was pulling in water should be a quick and fun process when I try it live.

Thanks for incoming advice and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's an easy process. I've used my MityVac twice now. Each time I pushed the extractor hose into the dipstick tube until it would not go in any further. I then pumped a few times to get vacuum and extracted the oil. Take note of the volume that's extracted. Each time I sucked out almost the complete oil capacity listed in the manual (~7.2 liters or quarts ?- can't remember right now). If you don't extract close to that volume you need to push the extractor hose in a little deeper. Removal of the oil filter housing was easy too (although in my 2nd attempt the Audi tech that did the 15K service put the housing cap on very tight and it was a bit tougher to loosen). I keep a zip lock bag handy to put the wet filter in when I remove it to avoid oil dripping anywhere. Put a new gasket on the housing cap - grab it by the little rubber tab - and you're good to go.
FYI, I bought the filter for my 2nd change at AutoZone and it was an STP filter. The first time I used a Mann filter from the dealer. The STP had the same exact writing and German markings on it as Mann filter I bought from the dealer the first time and it was a lot cheaper too. I don't usually buy STP/Fram/low end filters for my cars but I don't think it's a coincidence that the German writing was the same on the STP filter. I think they are one in the same, just re-branded. The STP filter even said "made in Germany".
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by directorguy7
Going to let it sit overnight to let oil fully drain to the pan before extracting.
I would at least start the extraction with the oil warm. The solids would still be in suspension and the lower viscosity oil would flow easier. You could let let it sit for a while and get whatever accumulates in the pan.

I believe my extractor has a rubber stop in the middle of it that is used to close the vacuum at the dip stick opening?
The rubber stop may be to see if the tube has moved. You should open the oil fill cap to allow air to enter and displace the removed oil.

Extractor water tested as well and ensured no leaks.
That's a good tip.

I did find a DIY article from Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/the-to...il-change.html
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost done. Filter came with two rubber gaskets. One is for the one that you need a needle nose pliers to get out of the filter holder cap by grabbing the little tab, so you have to make sure the tab is pointing up to grab it next oil change.

The other one is just a regular gasket that could be placed in any direction. Is this just an extra one for another car that uses this same filter but doesn't need the one with the tabs?