Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Questions for Phantom Black owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for Phantom Black owners...

I'm having a helluva' time deciding between Brilliant Black and Phantom Black. Thinking about changing my order from BB to PB. Just back from the carwash today and I think BB finally beat me down. It's just impossible to detail and it looks like total crap in full sunlight; it's lost it's deep wet look and the swirl marks are out of control. Plus it shows even the slightest scratch. However, when it perfectly detailed its incredible.

So my questions are:

1. Did you own BB before?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, is it true what they say - once you go (Phantom) black you never go back? ha

3. How are the swirl marks in full sunlight?

4. What is the predominant color in sunlight? I've heard bluish-green.

5. Does it show dust bad? I live in CO and it's dry as a bone and dusty all the time.

6. Do you think the color looks cloudy or washed out? The one I saw on the dealer lot just didn't look right for some reason...kinda like it was dirty or milky.

7. Does it hide fine scratches well?

Any other comments/suggestions welcomed!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) No, had a Steel Grey BMW 328Ci (E46).

I will say that when it comes to Regular/Metallic paints, I will chose Metallic every time. This is because if you ever have to have it painted, they are required to paint match the affected panel(s) to the rest of the car (means that they will even paint surrounding panels to accomplish this). With regular paint, they just are just required to blend the affected panel to the rest of the car. This is what I was told by my insurance company & a couple of body shops I have dealt with in the past.

2) In full sunlight, it is great

3) With any dark color car, you will get some swirls. But I just bought some Meguiars ScratchX to address that. I am going to try it out this weekend. I will let you know.

I did have an issue with water spots for the past month, they just wouldn't come out. But a pass with Meguiars Clay Bar/Quick Detailer took care of that

4) I got the XZilon coating on my car, to protect the exterior/interior. One side effect is that the Black becomes a bit more predominant. But in full sunlight, I see the black, and hints of blue and green.

5) Dust, yes. Where I work, I get a nice covered parking structure, but when I come back to it at the end of the day I see a nice layer of dust depending on how windy it is that day. I keep a California Car duster in the trunk. But this is the case with any dark color car, especially a Black one.

6) I like the color. When I went to see the dealer the first time, my car was still on a boat. The weather the first day was cloudy, so all the Phantom cars on the lot looked nice, but you didn't get the full effect. Went back when it was sunny, and it looked nice.

7) I think it does. In full sunlight you'll see them if you are looking up close. But as I mentioned above, I am going to try out the Meguiars ScratchX product on them.

Overall I love the car. I love the color.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had PB on an A4 a few years ago and yes, when properly detailed, it did look very nice. However, I would never touch a black car of any kind again. I had a brand new BMW in Sapphire Black and straight from the showroom it was covered is swirls and marring. I've recently had a BMW 3 series in Sapphire Black as well and that looked absolutely AWFUL in the sunshine.

I clean my cars regularly with lots of different products and unless you have a got a dual action polisher, in my opinion, you won't shift swirls with something like Meguiar's Scratch X.

I've just bought a new A6 in Ibis White and I love it - so easy to clean and no visible swirls
Old 03-11-2012, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If I had to choose a black, it would be the Phantom Black because of the pearl effect.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iaonbb
I'm having a helluva' time deciding between Brilliant Black and Phantom Black. Thinking about changing my order from BB to PB. Just back from the carwash today and I think BB finally beat me down. It's just impossible to detail and it looks like total crap in full sunlight; it's lost it's deep wet look and the swirl marks are out of control. Plus it shows even the slightest scratch. However, when it perfectly detailed its incredible.

So my questions are:

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, is it true what they say - once you go (Phantom) black you never go back? ha

5. Does it show dust bad? I live in CO and it's dry as a bone and dusty all the time.

6. Do you think the color looks cloudy or washed out? The one I saw on the dealer lot just didn't look right for some reason...kinda like it was dirty or milky.

Here's my input/experience:

1. Yes. We currently have the PB on a 2008 A8L and BB on a 2011 Q5. A new 2012 A8L in PB is due to arrive mid-April to replace the '08.

2. Yes, at least for me. BB is much more difficult to maintain but it can be done. It does show any kind of scratch or swirl much quicker than PB. Even so, with a D/A polisher and the proper wax on the BB, it doesn't take that much effort to bring back that deep gloss that you feel you can almost fall into. We bought the BB Q5 as it had the options we wanted when it was located by our dealer. My wife drives it and loves the color.

3. Swirl marks are more predominant in BB than PB. The metallic flakes in the PB disperse the light better to "mask" swirls to a degree.

4. Yes, bluish-green cast is probably the best way to describe the close-up effect of the PB in bright sunlight--very attractive.

5. Dust shows up on any dark color but blacks are the worst. As with swirls and small scratches, dust shows up faster on BB than on PB....the deep gloss look to the BB is compromised as dust builds up on the surface. As manishaudi notes below, keeping a California Duster on hand in your trunk is a quick answer for a light dust situation.

6. When PB looks washed out or milky, it's either dirty/dusty OR simply needs to be buffed out to eliminate micro-scratches in the clear coat.

Go for Phantom Black and don't go back (to Brilliant Black)!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my questions are:

1)Yes We had a BB Q5 before
2)sometimes i miss the true black. PB is gorgeous and different
3)Nonexhistent. 1) because i dont let my cars come within 200yards of those automatic swirl machines. 2) because i am an avid hobby detailer and know how to properly wash and take care of a vehicles finish. Our A6 has 6k on the clock and is completely 100% swirless, and weve had some pretty grimmy/salty roads. It gets washed every single week and i havent waxed/sealed the finish since i did my new car prep.
4)Its blue
5)any dark car is going to show the dust
6)because the dealer cant clean cars and uses a filler wax. When left in the sunlight is cause it to turn milky & nasty looking. Dealers destry cars, especially with their "new car prep"
7) I dont know as my finish is perfect/spotless

and as for suggestions. If you insist on black and want it to look good in the sun then learn how to properly wash your car and NEVER take it through an auto car wash. I would be happy to explain my process on protecting the finish and explaining how to do a proper wash if you wanted me to. If you want the easy way out and just want to take it though the car wash then get white/grey. PB will look just as bad as your BB paint if you continue to treat your new A6 the same way as your current car.

Also when you get your new A6 tell the dealer not to touch your car with the free delivery detail.

these pics just dont do the car justice. But here is my new car prep

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...+a6+3pedalmini

Last edited by 3PedalMINI; 03-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for all the very detailed and well thought out responses. I'm heading over to the dealer to spend some time with a PB 20" sport they just got it. I'd buy it but it has the full innovation pkg which I didn't want (to pay for). So I wait on mine. According to the dealer it's not locked down yet so I can make changes.

One question for 3pedalMINI:

My car has never been through a brush automatic (it's too low and the wheels won't go through the conveyor system without damage - not that I would anyway). I always go through a nice, new touchless, then lightly hand dry with a waffle towel. Realistically, the 2 bucket method just isn't practical for those if us in winter climates. I know you said the soaps are too harsh but would it still be the best option balancing practicality vs. protection? If I were to wax it more often is there any other damage being done by the touchless? I need to find a happy medium that doesn't consume my life but still protects the car. Any more thoughts on the touchless systems?

Thanks again all!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question for 3pedalMINI:

My car has never been through a brush automatic (it's too low and the wheels won't go through the conveyor system without damage - not that I would anyway). I always go through a nice, new touchless, then lightly hand dry with a waffle towel. Realistically, the 2 bucket method just isn't practical for those if us in winter climates. I know you said the soaps are too harsh but would it still be the best option balancing practicality vs. protection? If I were to wax it more often is there any other damage being done by the touchless? I need to find a happy medium that doesn't consume my life but still protects the car. Any more thoughts on the touchless systems?

Thanks again all!
Sorry i shouldn't of assumed it was an automatic swirl machine and after rereading my post i came across as a complete and utter d!ck, sorry.

Thats your problem right there, drying it off with a waffle weave towel, especially after going through a touchless carwash. Touchless washes used extremly harsh soap to break up the grime, however no amount of harsh soap and strong streams of water will get your car clean. The dirt and grime adheres to your paint and needs slight agitation to break it up.

When you run your drying towel across the surface your agitating the dirt as all the contaminants that didn't get washed off are now being drug around and ground into your paint.Hence your swirled to hell paint

you would have a near perfect finish had you not been using your towel,especially after a touchless car wash. most of us car guys that live in extremely cold environments will either take it thorugh a touchless (only after a good coat of sealant and wax has been applied) and call that good until its warm enough out. Or you could be as crazy as i am and wash in freezing temperatures

If you insist on washing your cars at the touchless and then drying them then you need to add one step, it still will not prevent 100% but it still wont look like someone took steal wool to your paint. Then in the spring you can polish out the winter scars.

Go through the touchless car wash, then do a wipedown with waterless wash and then finish up with a *clean* drying towel with a drying agent like detail spray. The waterless wash will lift the grime and suspends it away from your paint. here are links to what you need.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-439-a...ash-combo.aspx
you will need an extra set of WW towels
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-466-a...le-towels.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-a...ing-towel.aspx (get the two pack one towel for the top half of your car and the second for the botom half)
And the drying agent: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-676-a...ail-spray.aspx

Its not as ideal but is worlds better then what your currently doing

OR you could watch this and go to a self service bay, that would be your ideal scenario.

http://youtu.be/-Sv4KthAFTs

Last edited by 3PedalMINI; 03-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3PedalMINI: I have started hand washing my A6 myself. I use these nice soft microfiber towels to dry off my car. What is your opinion of those?

I should mention I constantly turn the towel over and switch to new towels. If that makes a difference
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
Sorry i shouldn't of assumed it was an automatic swirl machine and after rereading my post i came across as a complete and utter d!ck, sorry.

Thats your problem right there, drying it off with a waffle weave towel, especially after going through a touchless carwash. Touchless washes used extremly harsh soap to break up the grime, however no amount of harsh soap and strong streams of water will get your car clean. The dirt and grime adheres to your paint and needs slight agitation to break it up.

When you run your drying towel across the surface your agitating the dirt as all the contaminants that didn't get washed off are now being drug around and ground into your paint.Hence your swirled to hell paint

you would have a near perfect finish had you not been using your towel,especially after a touchless car wash. most of us car guys that live in extremely cold environments will either take it thorugh a touchless (only after a good coat of sealant and wax has been applied) and call that good until its warm enough out. Or you could be as crazy as i am and wash in freezing temperatures

If you insist on washing your cars at the touchless and then drying them then you need to add one step, it still will not prevent 100% but it still wont look like someone took steal wool to your paint. Then in the spring you can polish out the winter scars.

Go through the touchless car wash, then do a wipedown with waterless wash and then finish up with a *clean* drying towel with a drying agent like detail spray. The waterless wash will lift the grime and suspends it away from your paint. here are links to what you need.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-439-a...ash-combo.aspx
you will need an extra set of WW towels
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-466-a...le-towels.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-a...ing-towel.aspx (get the two pack one towel for the top half of your car and the second for the botom half)
And the drying agent: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-676-a...ail-spray.aspx

Its not as ideal but is worlds better then what your currently doing

OR you could watch this and go to a self service bay, that would be your ideal scenario.

http://youtu.be/-Sv4KthAFTs
Thanks Brendon. I didn't take it that way at all. No worries!

That's great info and right along the lines of what I was hoping for. I need a realistic solution for a daily driver and that looks like a great compromise. Excellent info for all of us out there in this same boat. Thank you again!

Oh, and for the record, Just back from the dealer and decided to stick with BB. The PB looked like it needed darn close to the same maintenance so I figured the $500 saved will get me the subwoofer upgrade and a couple polishes over the next year

I'm going to rededicate myself to keeping the BB as best I can and go with what I love, rather than looking for the easy route. It was really a win-win eiather way! Now, if they'd just hurry and build it!

THanks again!

Quick Reply: Questions for Phantom Black owners...