Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Quirk: MMI Plays Audio On Ignition Startup Even When Previously Muted

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quirk: MMI Plays Audio On Ignition Startup Even When Previously Muted

Hi,

I've had my Audi A6 for about a week and I've noticed a behavior of the MMI audio system that IMHO is non-intuitive and quirky (others may disagree). I was puzzled that sometimes (most of the time) the audio system will start playing upon ignition even when previously muted before turning the ignition off - again, most of the time, but not always. I spent 15 minutes reading the manual carefully and figuring out what was going on.

Others may already know this, but it turns out that whenever the MMI system is turned on (according to the manual), it always starts playing back the last audio source at the last stored volume (not muted); and if the volume was inaudible, it increases it to something you might hear. It is implied that muting is not remembered.

You can turn the MMI system off by pressing the volume button for a longer period of time than is required to just mute the system. If you do this, the MMI turns off and the screen disappears. The MMI system will not automatically restart (and no sound will play) when the ignition is restarted. This is different than pressing the screen hide button on the dash. The screen hide button only hides the screen, audio will still play, and the MMI will restart upon later ignition.

While turning off the MMI completely results in a quiet car upon ignition, it also disables the nav screen. A work around is to choose a media source with no valid files to play (e.g. the empty Jukebox-perhaps an empty SD card will work too). The MMI system will then start upon ignition quietly (trying to play nothing).

IMHO it would be more intuitive (and quieter) if the MMI would remember it was muted and restart in muted mode. Perhaps Audi will release a software update some day to change this behavior.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have the same key on you the next time you started the car? Individual keys have individual settings.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same issue

My car does the same thing. I turn the radio and air conditioner off before I turn off the ignition. However when I turn the car back on, the radio defaults to the my Jukebox. The airconditioner does not turn on automatically, as the raido does though.

Before I put music in my jukebox it would default to music on my paired phone, even though my phone is only paired in "handsfree" in its bluetooth profile. It never defaulted to iPod Touch which is paired for "audio" unless my Epic 4G, was having bluetooth connectivity issues. The other wierd thing is it would default to one song on my phone and repeat it; even though there are other songs stored on phone.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After posting my message, searching through this forum, I found that owners of the A7 and other Audis have noticed the same behavior (that is, the mute is not remembered). Reading closely through the MMI manual indicates to me that it was designed that way.

The MMI works (mostly) with my IPOD. Every so often when restarting the car, it fails to find any playable files on the ipod. Unplugging and replugging the ipod connector fixes that. I do have just about the oldest ipod compatible with the feature. I might see if I can update the ipod firmware. Otherwise, the MMI displays all the names of the songs on the ipod, and restarts playing where it left off.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I logged the same issue with my A8 last year, along with a load of other "quirky" things about MMI. Thankfully, the A6 doesn't have as many foibles. I just wish they would do a s/w update to fix it on my older car.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed this with my S4 before trading it for the A6. If I don't want loud music upon start up, I usually put volume to setting #1. But this is a poor workaround. Thanks for the tip on turning off the MMI to avoid music noise but I usually like my nav screen on so I would have to turn MMI on, which turns on the radio. Not sure why they can't design the s/w to remember the last setting. At least it remembers the dynamic setting (which was not the case for my former S4). Eventually, the Audi engineers will listen to customer feedback or customers will have to adapt and accept the fact that Audi know best.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audible noise from hard drive...

So I finally loaded music on to the JukeBox today. I like being able to say Play Song....or Play artist...it works fairly well...not as good as Ford Sync.

However, what I've noticed is the hard drive makes an audible...high pitched noise. Its not very long and is quite random, but I've never had the noise before loading music on the hard drive.

I will do a search on this, but is anyone else experiencing this?