Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rycelover
Pics of your setup would be greatly appreciated!

Michael
I would like to see as well
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have pics right now, but I had my installer run a wire up to where the rear view mirror is. The wire comes out of the right side at the top and I just use the suction cup mount and have the detector right at the top of the windshield behind the visor. You can still lower the visor to a 90 degree position but you can't push it all the way back to the windshield. I don't care, I don't like my passengers anyway.

The jammer module is installed in the storage tray located in front of the gearshift ****. hidden away but I can access it, which I never need to, it's always on.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WannaS6
I don't have pics right now, but I had my installer run a wire up to where the rear view mirror is. The wire comes out of the right side at the top and I just use the suction cup mount and have the detector right at the top of the windshield behind the visor. You can still lower the visor to a 90 degree position but you can't push it all the way back to the windshield. I don't care, I don't like my passengers anyway.

The jammer module is installed in the storage tray located in front of the gearshift ****. hidden away but I can access it, which I never need to, it's always on.
Thanks for the reply. You've answered my question - you used the windshield mount. I was interested in seeing photos if you had used a different method of mounting the unit. I guess that's what I will do then as well unless I find something that can fit around the A6's rearview mirror.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing to do, if you have the dough, is get the 9500ci version, that requires professional install and you see nothing except a small unit you can place anywhere, don't need line of site since the module is located under the hood and in the grill somewhere. I think it's about $1500.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer quoted 3 grand for the RL360i. Plus they told me it's a crap shoot as to whether it will play well with the ACC/side assist. While others may do it for less, I may stick with the window mounted version and a diffuser, think that gets the job done for a fraction of the price.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the K40 RL360 system installed in my S5 and it works great. They turned off either the rear K or Ka mode to make it work with the Audi side assist. I also have adaptive cruise control and everything in the front works well, including the front laser defuser. By the way, I had it installed at an Audi dealer for $1950 in 2011 (including a free loaner car for two days).

Tony
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Also makes for a clean install!
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tmiele
I have the K40 RL360 system installed in my S5 and it works great. They turned off either the rear K or Ka mode to make it work with the Audi side assist. I also have adaptive cruise control and everything in the front works well, including the front laser defuser. By the way, I had it installed at an Audi dealer for $1950 in 2011 (including a free loaner car for two days).

Tony
Very similar to my experience. Bought the RL360 from a dealer in Illinois but had it installed here at local Audi dealer. Turned off the rear K band only and it has worked perfectly in an A6 Prestige with the Innovation package and all the bells and whistles. At the same time bought two RL100 units form the same dealer for 2 of our other Audis and they seem to work perfectly well without turning off anything. I do pick up other cars in different bands at times-the most annoying is the adaptive cruise (I think) on Infiniti-it appears to be Laser and not in a Radar band. But i do not ever like to be driving without a detector. I am by no means a speeder-but it helps keep me alert and it never hurts to know when you are being clocked so you just do not do something stupid. You just always have to remember that when you are the only car on the road-it really does not matter what you use-if they want to stop you, they will.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Infiniti does indeed use Laser for its cruise control; a sad side effect is that it does not work if the sun is in front of the car. It throws off some laser detectors, and it will also 'mysteriously' open some gated communities' entrance doors just by approaching them, to the great consternation of the guards at said communities. I always found that very amusing when I had the Infi.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just an update to this older thread

K40 just introduced two new portable units. They have updated their portable units (the RL100 is now RLS2) and added an interesting little tweak. They now have the ability to filter out the K band signals from others who have adaptive cruise control and other radar emitting options. I have not tried it yet, but ordered a unit today.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors