Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Radio Volume Randomly Goes to Zero When Starting Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M/M's Dad
Very frustrating indeed. I think I have figured it out.

I have found that, if after starting the car, I wait until the MMI boots up and radio begins to play, that the volume is indeed there and at the same level (I believe) as when I last shut off the car. However, if, after starting the car and while the MMI is booting up, I immediately put the car into reverse, the radio is silent. It's a slight software glitch. If you wait until the MMI boots up and the radio begins to play, and then shift into reverse, all is well (from there the radio volume ducks according to the setting in your MMI to allow for back up sensor volume). Hope this is the same in your MY 2016. Let me know.
Interesting. I'll have to investigate further.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by M/M's Dad
Very frustrating indeed. I think I have figured it out.

I have found that, if after starting the car, I wait until the MMI boots up and radio begins to play, that the volume is indeed there and at the same level (I believe) as when I last shut off the car. However, if, after starting the car and while the MMI is booting up, I immediately put the car into reverse, the radio is silent. It's a slight software glitch. If you wait until the MMI boots up and the radio begins to play, and then shift into reverse, all is well (from there the radio volume ducks according to the setting in your MMI to allow for back up sensor volume). Hope this is the same in your MY 2016. Let me know.
Here are my conclusions. As you say, it appears if you wait until the MMI boots then the problem goes away. At least it did on the 4 times that I tried it. Another solution is to shift into reverse quickly before the MMI boots so that the radio volume goes to zero. While in that condition, turn the volume up to listening level. Now, when I shift into reverse before the MMI boots, then shift to drive, the radio plays at normal listening level. Prior to this adjustment I had to readjust the volume control from zero to listening level after shifting to drive.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have the volume off and I use the cameras to park, the music turns on. Weird.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fithian
If I have the volume off and I use the cameras to park, the music turns on. Weird.
The MMI sometimes seems to have a mind of its own..
Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the same issue with mine. I finally figured out why my steering wheel would not always return to programed position, and this volume thing has been bugging me. I am going to try the "putting into reverse then turning up the volume" and see if that works.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lmcgill
I have the same issue with mine. I finally figured out why my steering wheel would not always return to programed position, and this volume thing has been bugging me. I am going to try the "putting into reverse then turning up the volume" and see if that works.
It seems like today it reverted back to it's "normal" operation. I don't think this fix works.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Problem Fixed!
I'm the original poster and the problem was fixed. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it, but it was one of two things. I took the car in for an MMI SW upgrade to fix the problem where I always have to enter the password to use Audi Connect. The same morning I did a three fingered MMI hard reset. One of them fixed the problem where the radio volume goes to zero when backing up and then does not return to regular volume when going forward. This use to be a random event. Now, it never happens.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
Problem Fixed!
I'm the original poster and the problem was fixed. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it, but it was one of two things. I took the car in for an MMI SW upgrade to fix the problem where I always have to enter the password to use Audi Connect. The same morning I did a three fingered MMI hard reset. One of them fixed the problem where the radio volume goes to zero when backing up and then does not return to regular volume when going forward. This use to be a random event. Now, it never happens.
I apologize if I missed this elsewhere, but could you please expound on the "three finger MMI hard reset"? Does this wipe out all saved prior destinations and radio presets as well? Thanks much in advance.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:38 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 2017 and do not have the issue. Volume is same when I start my car.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I apologize if I missed this elsewhere, but could you please expound on the "three finger MMI hard reset"? Does this wipe out all saved prior destinations and radio presets as well? Thanks much in advance.
Press the menu button, big control **** and upper right silver control button simultaneously and hold. The MMI screen goes black and restarts. The presets, etc are not wiped out. I also had TSB 2047433/1 preformed. It is not specifically for the volume problem, but who knows. With a 2016 it will fix the "MyAudi pin is not saved" problem. So, you should get it done just for that.

I can't find TSB 2047433/1 on the web, but it does a partial MMI SW upgrade.

Quick Reply: Radio Volume Randomly Goes to Zero When Starting Car