Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rear brake pad sensor replacement only ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear brake pad sensor replacement only ?

Do I need a VAG COM in order to replace just the brake pad sensor in the rear? My brake light is on and dealer told me it's the sensor that it's bad (pads are still good) but they have to do the whole job (pads+sensor+fluid), they can't just do the sensor job. Wondering if I can just swap out the old sensor for a new one myself.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

AFAIK VAG-COM is only needed to move the e parking brake into service position, so the pads can be removed. The sensor fits in the pad from the outer edge, but a new one will likely need to be filed down a bit if put in an older (worn, thinner) pad, and it may not fit if the old pad has deformed a little around the slot. If you are willing to keep an eye on the pad wear yourself (like most of the world does), you can simply join the 2 wires together on the old sensor wire and tie it up out of the way. I.e., the "sensor" is just a wire that wears through, causing an open circuit.

Or unplug the old one, plug in the new one, and don't insert it into the pad, tie it out of the way, it will never wear out again, but your pads will start to squeal eventually, possibly damaging the rotors if you let them get down to metal.

Last edited by Mesquite77; 03-28-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by freinando
Do I need a VAG COM in order to replace just the brake pad sensor in the rear? My brake light is on and dealer told me it's the sensor that it's bad (pads are still good) .
Did the dealer mention how thick the inner rear pad is? The sensor is in a slot and when the pad wears down to around 3mm, the wire wears away and the warning light comes on. If you're going through the trouble of replacing the sensor, replace the pads.

Here's a shot of a sensor that's just about worn through.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed

Did the dealer mention how thick the inner rear pad is? The sensor is in a slot and when the pad wears down to around 3mm, the wire wears away and the warning light comes on. If you're going through the trouble of replacing the sensor, replace the pads.

Here's a shot of a sensor that's just about worn through.
The pads are still very thick. I know that by visual inspection, but the dealer also mentioned it. The aftermarket sensor is the one that is bad, but they said they do not do sensor only jobs.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Unplug the old one, plug in a new sensor but dont install it into the pads....Drive and monitor pad wear every 3-4 mos
Old 03-29-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vodka G
Unplug the old one, plug in a new sensor but dont install it into the pads....Drive and monitor pad wear every 3-4 mos
I will be doing this. Already ordered the sensor online and will do the swap over the weekend now that I know no VAG-COM is needed, thanks.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by freinando

I will be doing this. Already ordered the sensor online and will do the swap over the weekend now that I know no VAG-COM is needed, thanks.
You CAN plug in the new sensor and tie it out of the way but honestly, it would be easier to cut the wires on the old one and twist them together and insulate or tape. I did this on the front of a Q7 and drove for several thousand miles before I did the brake job. Make sure that it DOES have sensors though. I had a C6 A6 and I seem to remember that, at rear, it measured pad wear via travel of the electric parking brake actuators.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 03-29-2018 at 04:54 PM.