Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rear view mirror too low

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror too low

I've really enjoyed my 2016 A6. One thing I don't like at all, however, is the relatively low rear view mirror. Unlike an older car, there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the mirror up or down. I'm 6'3", and even with the seat all the way down the rear view mirror is low enough in my field of view to block my view of things at street level. This is obviously a safety problem. Normally it doesn't cause too much of a problem, but when driving around the city, and especially when navigating 4-way stops with other cars, pedestrians on cross walks, and bikes coming from all directions, I often have to zip my head around to see around my mirror to make sure nothing's there. There's been a couple of times that something or someone has perfectly lined up with my mirror and I've almost hit them.

I'm thinking of removing my rear view mirror. I live in Seattle, and legally, apparently all one needs is a left mirror and a rear view or right mirror, but you don't legally need both a rear view and right mirror.

Anyone have experience removing their rear view mirror?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Removing it is pretty straight forward.

1) Remove the triangular plastic cover piece above the mirror by squeezing its two sides
2) Unplug the wire in there
3) Hold and twist the back half of the mirror and it will come off

A couple of things though:
- You will lose the auto dimming functionality on all mirrors because the sensor for it is on front side of the mirror
- There is also a humidity sensor in there; not sure what that will do to the AC
- And you will probably get a bunch of error codes

Last edited by mdkv5; 11-19-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mdkv5
Removing it is pretty straight forward.

1) Remove the triangular plastic cover piece above the mirror by squeezing its the two sides
2) Unplug the wire in there
3) Hold and twist the back half of the mirror and it will come off

A couple of things though:
- You will lose the auto dimming functionality on all mirrors because the sensor for it is on front side of the mirror
- There is also a humidity sensor in there; not sure what that will do to the AC
- And you will probably get a bunch of error codes
Thank you very much for the reply. Good info.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyRider
I've really enjoyed my 2016 A6. One thing I don't like at all, however, is the relatively low rear view mirror. Unlike an older car, there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the mirror up or down. I'm 6'3", and even with the seat all the way down the rear view mirror is low enough in my field of view to block my view of things at street level. This is obviously a safety problem. Normally it doesn't cause too much of a problem, but when driving around the city, and especially when navigating 4-way stops with other cars, pedestrians on cross walks, and bikes coming from all directions, I often have to zip my head around to see around my mirror to make sure nothing's there. There's been a couple of times that something or someone has perfectly lined up with my mirror and I've almost hit them.

I'm thinking of removing my rear view mirror. I live in Seattle, and legally, apparently all one needs is a left mirror and a rear view or right mirror, but you don't legally need both a rear view and right mirror.

Anyone have experience removing their rear view mirror?
You are too tall for the A6, maybe looking over your shoulder with your head out the top of the sunroof would alleviate the blind spots 😄
Old 11-23-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

In reality, I too think that the mirror is low. It frequently blocks my view when I’m trying to enter the freeway on ramps.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ideally, designers would remove the rear view mirror altogether and instead have a rear view monitor. Video cameras are cheap. Perhaps use the top 1/3 or so of the LCD on the dash to show an appropriate rear view. When you're engaged with controlling something it would take over the whole screen, but then would revert to a 1/3 rear view on the top, 2/3 whatever else on the bottom during normal driving.

The current rear view is already obstructed by headrests, and potentially other passengers or cargo in the rear seat. Makes sense to have a rear facing camera that isn't obstructed by any of that displayed on a screen at dash level, and then you also have a completely unobstructed front view. Would be a really nice step forward, in my view.