Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

From S4 to S6: First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Default From S4 to S6: First impressions

Finally got to take my car home today and drove it a good 50 miles all around. Im coming from a 2010 B8S4 Manual with exhaust, intake, H&R Sport springs, shifter etc.

First things first. This car feels smaller than it looks. When I've driven the A6 around in Dynamic mode I felt the connection with the engine as I had with my S4. Very similar characteristics but in a bigger (softer) car. I enjoyed it but there was a lot lacking to me. The S6 drives nothing like the A6. The only thing they have in common is how smooth and quiet they are when cruising. The S6 drives like its just a tad bigger than the S4. You can feel the "S" suspension in the car immediately and it felt like home and I wasn't giving anything up to the S4.

This car is extremely hard to drive slowly. I've been driving manuals for 20 years and I was always in control of what gear I was in and how fast I was accelerating. With the S-Tronic its going to take a lot to get used to. It shifts so smoothly and effortlessly that it feels like its floating, nay, flying over the road. One minute you're doing the speed limit and the next you're doing 90. The accelerator pedal is very sensitive and even a minute amount of pressure sends this car into orbit. There is a slight amount of hesitation right off the line but once the car gets going you realize you need to slow down very quickly. Now I know why there are serving platter sized rotors up front. Every stoplight or stop sign I was just taking off like a bat out of hell. Hearing the exhaust, even though its stock, sounds awesome. The V8 rumble is addictive. I can actually say I heard some turbo whine too when I turned the radio off and gave some moderate throttle in the midrange.

The seats are absolutely fantastic, if not better than in the S4. I was afraid to move away from the alcantara as I love love love that material in how it just holds you in the seat. These seats proved me wrong and are very grippy in turns and plant you firmly in place.

Handling wise this car does exhibit some roll even on Dynamic but its nothing that isn't controllable. I was taking care with the new tires but still being aggressive on on/off ramps. I was hitting 40mph with ease where my S4 was touching 43mph with the lowered springs. This car actually feels more planted and less twitchy than the S4. Ill give it to the extra meat on the car maybe but the air suspension really does wonders. The other thing is that even with the 20's and on Dynamic, the car soaks up bumps like its nothing. No teeth rattling or squeaks and rattles. The car just basically yawns and says dont worry this is nothing. I can also say that this car will most likely never leave Dynamic mode. I tried Auto and the car felt ok but not responsive enough. Comfort mode is a joke. I pretty much drove my S4 in Auto for the 2+ years I had it. I probably went into Dynamic just a few times. Yeah it felt great but I just watched my gas mileage drop considerably that way. In this car Im already understanding that Ill be very friendly with my local gas station and have accepted that.

All I can say is if you have the chance to drive one, or even trade up to an S6, by all means jump at it. If not, no worries, the S4(or A6) is still a sweet car in its own right.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to hear that you two are having fun...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up! I'm contemplating the same move from S4 to S6. Glad to hear it drives/feels like a smaller car than it looks. Couple of quick questions:

Do you have the regular sport seats or the comforts? (I'd assume sport seats).

Do you have any of the other tech options that are available on S6 but not S4 like innovation package?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4

Handling wise this car does exhibit some roll even on Dynamic but its nothing that isn't controllable.
How do you compare it to the regular A6?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am going to really miss my S5, but even more excited to take delivery after reading that review. Thanks for posting....let us know when you have some fun with launch control ha
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

great review - helpful. This is the same jump i'm making- and had my concerns about how a bigger car would feel. Which seat package do you have comfort or the standard diamond stitched sport seat? enjoy the ride!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K91109
How do you compare it to the regular A6?
It is certainly faster than the regular A6(wife took that when she left, reason why I went for the S6...), which is no slouch... It doesn't roll as much in the corners and I feel I don't realize the speed even more in the S6, maybe because it is so effortless to get to speed.

I like the sport seats much more than the seats in the A6. I find them more comfotable and love the look of the stitching. I feel I have purchased one of the best cars in the market today.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
It is certainly faster than the regular A6(wife took that when she left, reason why I went for the S6...), which is no slouch... It doesn't roll as much in the corners and I feel I don't realize the speed even more in the S6, maybe because it is so effortless to get to speed.

I like the sport seats much more than the seats in the A6. I find them more comfotable and love the look of the stitching. I feel I have purchased one of the best cars in the market today.
I feel the same way about purchasing one of the best cars around. I drove a 2012 A6 for 6 months while I waited for my S6. Got it yesterday!

White metallic with light grey leather sport seats and carbon inlay.... looks soo sick inside.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for great writeup, how is steering feel for S6? I have A6 & my 2nd car is BMW 535i (2009) I find BMW hydraulic steering is more engaging than A6 electrical. So wondering is S6 feels heavier than S4, mainly center feel on hwy is there good feedback.

Quick Reply: From S4 to S6: First impressions