Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Safe for snow removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe for snow removal?

Hi guys,

With the first snowfall coming soon, I was wondering what method you use to remove snow from your car without scratching it. I've used all three of the devices in the picture on my older cars and was never too concerned with scratches so I didn't really notice which worked best, but I'd like to keep my new C7 looking good for as long as possible. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question. Looking at your tools my opinion is the middle one. I already put a couple scratches on my trunk using a microfibre towel to wash my car so I am trying to avoid anything abrassive at all. I am so mad, but my paint guy said they will come out easy. your tool on the left looks like nails attached to a plastic stick so I would not use that. I have a brush, scraper, squee-gee (spelling) all in one that telescopes that I bought from costco. I might use the brush on the windows, but the squee-gee for the paint. Our paint is so soft that I might just try and clear the bulk of the snow off and leave a thin layer on the body that the sun can melt off. Luckily I park in a garage at home so only at work do I have to worry about this. Good luck as we are forecasted for some snow, but I am going with a gamble of no snow.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I would be ok with the brushes if the bristles aren't too coarse and you use it as gently as possible. No scrapers though, except on the glass. I think the key to avoiding small scratches is to not try and remove every last bit of snow, especially if it's the icy or sticky kind. Just get the top layer off.
I get aggravated when I'm following some bozo with 2 feet of mini blizzard snow blowing off his car because he was was too lazy to remove it.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
your tool on the left looks like nails attached to a plastic stick so I would not use that. I have a brush, scraper, squee-gee (spelling) all in one that telescopes that I bought from costco. I might use the brush on the windows, but the squee-gee for the paint.
I'll avoid the nails-on-a-stick The center one is made of foam and the blue one on the right has the telescoping squeegee underneath, but I wasn't sure if the squeegee part was safer for paint than the foam.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would be ok with the brushes if the bristles aren't too coarse and you use it as gently as possible. No scrapers though, except on the glass. I think the key to avoiding small scratches is to not try and remove every last bit of snow, especially if it's the icy or sticky kind. Just get the top layer off.
I get aggravated when I'm following some bozo with 2 feet of mini blizzard snow blowing off his car because he was was too lazy to remove it.
I'm always looking for the cop to pull them over and make them remove it. Here in NJ, they occasionally stop you at the tunnel entrances and make you remove it. So you think the softer bristles are safer than the squeegee part or the foam? Agreed, lightly and just the thickest layers.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AcuraUpToAudi
I'm always looking for the cop to pull them over and make them remove it. Here in NJ, they occasionally stop you at the tunnel entrances and make you remove it. So you think the softer bristles are safer than the squeegee part or the foam? Agreed, lightly and just the thickest layers.
The only reason I use a brush rather than the foam kind is the brush has more flexibility than the foam I would think. In any case, gentle use is best. It's amusing to watch people scraping snow away from the paint like it was ice on glass. Woof.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's amusing to watch people scraping snow away from the paint like it was ice on glass. Woof.
+1 HAHA. Than they wonder where all the scratches came from in the spring. Goof *****.

Originally Posted by AcuraUpToAudi
So you think the softer bristles are safer than the squeegee part or the foam? Agreed, lightly and just the thickest layers.
Tough question. I think soft bristles might be better as foam can get a little coarse in the cold right? I think the key will be to leave a small layer with any tool you choose.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I typically only clear snow off my windows and leave the snow on the other car surfaces. If there is a lot of snow, and I do need to clear it off the other surfaces, I'm always careful to leave about 1/2" behind so the bristles never touch the paint. After driving a short distance, the wind usually blows the remaining snow off. Just some thoughts.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
I typically only clear snow off my windows and leave the snow on the other car surfaces. If there is a lot of snow, and I do need to clear it off the other surfaces, I'm always careful to leave about 1/2" behind so the bristles never touch the paint. After driving a short distance, the wind usually blows the remaining snow off. Just some thoughts.
Just so you're not one of those guys I wrote about earlier that drives along creating a blizzard for those of us behind you.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sno-Brum has been my choice for all my cars. Have 3 of them for each car. Be careful as there are knock-offs that look the same but does not have the "Sno Brum" brand on the blue part.

Quick Reply: Safe for snow removal?