Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Shift Pattern "Between" Drive and Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift Pattern "Between" Drive and Sport?

Are there others out there who wish there was a shift pattern that was more aggressive than Drive but less aggressive than Sport? In Drive, I continually find myself wishing that I didn't have to stomp the pedal quite so hard to get a lower gear, and in Sport, I often wish that the car would choose a higher gear and not coast along with the engine revving, as if I was going to want to sprint at a moment's notice.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon2000
Are there others out there who wish there was a shift pattern that was more aggressive than Drive but less aggressive than Sport? In Drive, I continually find myself wishing that I didn't have to stomp the pedal quite so hard to get a lower gear, and in Sport, I often wish that the car would choose a higher gear and not coast along with the engine revving, as if I was going to want to sprint at a moment's notice.
There's always the manual shifting option.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

I suppose it would be nice if there was an in between setting for prescribed throttle and shift mapping (D and S are the same as Dynamic or Comfort for these two parameters), but if I want to have more gear control only, I use Manual via the paddles or shift lever. Also, I'm not entirely sure how the mappings are calculated in the ADS "Auto" mode; does it provide either Dynamic or Comfort mode depending on driving conditions or are the mapping algorithms calculated to levels somewhere in between the two?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the easiest way to get around this is to give the paddle shifter a tap while in D and down shift. If I then want the transmission to take over from there I can pull down on the console shifter and it will resume D.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just did a VCDS update to enable the "Race" and "Economy" settings in MMI and I'll see if those have any effect on shift thresholds.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just did a VCDS update to enable the "Race" and "Economy" settings in MMI and I'll see if those have any effect on shift thresholds.
Spoon, I read where someone Vagged the "Race" settings in a 3.0 and his 0-60 times went to sub 3 seconds; he now has to wear a neck brace so be careful...
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Spoon, I read where someone Vagged the "Race" settings in a 3.0 and his 0-60 times went to sub 3 seconds; he now has to wear a neck brace so be careful...
Haha -- love it.

A buddy of mine just bought a Tesla and one of the things he talks a lot about is how owner-friendly the company is, by which he means, they are constantly pushing out new onboard software to owners and making it easy for owners to tweak their machines. I mean seriously, why in the world would Audi bury a "Race" setting in the mix unless they kind of hoped somebody would find it at some point? I wish Audi was a little more forthcoming with the "easter eggs" in their MMI, etc.

A couple of years ago there was a company called "Apex Digital" that made DVD players, and almost all their models had a hidden mode in which the machines would play DVDs from any region of the world. You could spend about 10 minutes surfing the web and figure out how it all worked. The company had "plausible deniability" about the feature, and people using their machines could fiddle and play around to their heart's content.

Too bad Audi can't channel Tesla and Apex and do something along the same lines. I suppose they're sort of doing it by feeding some info to Ross-Tech and letting them make the info public, but it would be great to do more.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

.. I suppose they're sort of doing it by feeding some info to Ross-Tech and letting them make the info public, but it would be great to do more.
I seriously doubt the VW-Audi Group is feeding anything whatsoever to Ross-Tech. R-T reads all the existing OBD coding on their own and provides various ways to access it. I would venture 99% of VW/Audi owners have no idea VCDS even exists. Audi would probably prefer even the 1% not get access to the OBD data in any way. I'm guessing that if there weren't some laws providing that independent shops have access to servicing cars, Audi (and other manf) would ensure that OBD data be encrypted so that only their dealers could get access to any of it. Fortunately for us enthusiasts, that hasn't happened. Yet.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I seriously doubt the VW-Audi Group is feeding anything whatsoever to Ross-Tech. R-T reads all the existing OBD coding on their own and provides various ways to access it. I would venture 99% of VW/Audi owners have no idea VCDS even exists. Audi would probably prefer even the 1% not get access to the OBD data in any way. I'm guessing that if there weren't some laws providing that independent shops have access to servicing cars, Audi (and other manf) would ensure that OBD data be encrypted so that only their dealers could get access to any of it. Fortunately for us enthusiasts, that hasn't happened. Yet.
Not sure I would agree. Ross-Tech says on some of their web pages that they have a cooperative working relationship with VAG that they don't want to spoil, and that there's some stuff they won't release because it would upset Audi.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure I would agree. Ross-Tech says on some of their web pages that they have a cooperative working relationship with VAG that they don't want to spoil, and that there's some stuff they won't release because it would upset Audi.
Perhaps that's so but it is surprising considering the resistance on Audi's part to allow dealers to make many of the simple changes that can be done by anyone with a VCDS cable. Not to mention the many things a novice can screw up if they start making uninformed changes.

Quick Reply: Shift Pattern "Between" Drive and Sport?