Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Shifting Transmission between P, R, N, D

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifting Transmission between P, R, N, D

When I got my pre-owned 2012 A6 P+ I noticed that when shifting the transmission between P, R, N, D there's a small (maybe one second) delay before you feel the transmission engaged. Pressing the accelerator before that causes a strong slam / jerk. Waiting for it (albeit only a second) is a bit annoying and makes you look like a 95-y.o. grandma driving You know what I mean. Other than that the transmission shifts perfectly fine, once the car is in motion.

Did anyone else notice this? Do you consider it normal for an Audi? This is my first Audi, so I have nothing to compare to. Other cars I owned seemed not to have this slight delay in shifting.
The following users liked this post:
aliaksandr (01-06-2020)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
When I got my pre-owned 2012 A6 P+ I noticed that when shifting the transmission between P, R, N, D there's a small (maybe one second) delay before you feel the transmission engaged. Pressing the accelerator before that causes a strong slam / jerk. Waiting for it (albeit only a second) is a bit annoying and makes you look like a 95-y.o. grandma driving You know what I mean. Other than that the transmission shifts perfectly fine, once the car is in motion.

Did anyone else notice this? Do you consider it normal for an Audi? This is my first Audi, so I have nothing to compare to. Other cars I owned seemed not to have this slight delay in shifting.
Others may disagree, but I'd say if you have the SLIGHTEST concern about your Audi transmission, have the dealer take a look. Even if the dealer says there's nothing wrong, you'll at least have put a marker down as reporting something amiss, and that may save you some huge bucks down the road if you end up needing transmission work done and need to build a case that something's been wrong all along.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Although spoon2000 has a point, especially on a used vehicle, my A6 also has a slight delay, but it has never bothered me or my driving.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its under warranty have it looked at, why would you even considered not doing so.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean it bothers you that the gear doesn't engage right away when you select it? While that extra second might be the difference between a red light or a yellow light later in that day, it might be possible that the design is like that to avoid the transmission to be engaging gears unnecessarily until you decide the one you are engaging, picture your 95 year old lady engaging the gears one by one until D, it will be engaging in R, disengaging and then engaging D, and same thing going back, unnecessary stress.
Same design the folding mirrors have, if you are parking and put it in reverse the mirror tilts down to show you the curb, but it doesn't go back as soon as you put into drive (you might be needing extra steps to park) it only goes back when you are either finished parking or you drive away.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can certainly ask a dealer, but my guess is they'll say it's all good. I can't say I am hugely concerned, since the shifting while driving is perfect, but was just wondering if this is just my car or all 2012 A6's that have that slight delay.

feralc, yes what I feel is a slight delay in engaging gear when shifting into it from another selection (from P to D, from R to D, etc.)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I find the same thing -- in fact, I was parking behind my partner's car, and there was a slight incline towards her rear bumper. I put the car in reverse and the car moved forward, and I hit the brakes just in time to avoid hitting her car.

I think part of it relates to the fact there are a bunch of electronics that needs to go into play, and part of the delay may be by design.

It does make you seem a bit hesitant when parking, but once you figure out it's there, it's not a big issue.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Experimented with my A6 today shifting in and out of gears. There was no hesitation at all, gears forward or reverse engaged almost instantaneously. And very smoothly, get it checked.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by denvig
Experimented with my A6 today shifting in and out of gears. There was no hesitation at all, gears forward or reverse engaged almost instantaneously. And very smoothly, get it checked.
I think I know what OP is saying, but isn't this effect due to "drive by wire" and all the electronics?
The steering is electronic too now, right?
Is the transmission shifter much more than just an electronic switch in the C7 ?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was driving a loaner 2013 A6 3.0 Prestige, when my 2012 A6 3.0 P+ was in service. I noticed right away that when shifting the transmission lever, the loaner's gears engage instantly, while mine has a short delay. I asked the dealer to look into it. Of course they came back with "no faults stored, transmission functions normally". The SA suggested that the 2013 transmission was programmed slightly differently and possibly that's what is causing my observation. I am not sure if I should be disappointed or not. On one hand, if all is well, and they can't improve it, I would rather they not tinker with the tranny. On the other hand, hope it's not a malfunction that will cost me a transmission after the warranty is over.

Anyone else, with 2012 A6 3.0 TFSI that noticed the delay in gear engagement and talked to the dealer about it?