Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Side assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side assist

Does anyone know if I can order the side assist package from Audi? Audi Korea doesn't not offer this package. I was wondering if there is a way to order it and have it shipped here and have a 3rd party install it. Seems like a useful function.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's useless, I turned mine off. All it does is blink as you pass cars on the highway. As if I've been sideswiping hundreds of cars all these years and this is my savior. Please. It's just a way to get you to spend $500.00 on folding mirrors. They should have made it so that it was only activated if the turn signal was on. Don't waste your money.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
It's useless, I turned mine off. All it does is blink as you pass cars on the highway. As if I've been sideswiping hundreds of cars all these years and this is my savior. Please. It's just a way to get you to spend $500.00 on folding mirrors. They should have made it so that it was only activated if the turn signal was on. Don't waste your money.
I think it's pretty useful. I turned down the brightness and really only notice it when I'm looking in my mirrors when signaling to turn.

Also I love that the mirrors fold up automatically when I lock the car.. very spaceshipesq when you turn it on and the mirrors/wheel come down and nav screen goes up
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjc1083
I think it's pretty useful. I turned down the brightness and really only notice it when I'm looking in my mirrors when signaling to turn.

Also I love that the mirrors fold up automatically when I lock the car.. very spaceshipesq when you turn it on and the mirrors/wheel come down and nav screen goes up
I second this post.

Street Parking and tight parking spaces, the fold-up feature is very handy.

With the Blind Spot detection, I view this as a supplemental system. First I look at it, then continue on to a visual check. For me, driving everyday in the traffic filled freeways of Southern California, this has been a helpful feature. Had a couple times in the past 6 months where it turned off due to some failure, but after I turn it back on, it continues to work like a champ
Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
It sounds like yours is malfunctioning. I'd have the dealer check it out. It should only blink when you have your turn signal on and there is a car in your blind spot. It comes on solid if there is a car pacing you in your blind spot or overtaking your blind spot from the rear. It does not come on as you pass a car.

I didn't really care about it when I got it as part of the technology package but I've been impressed at how well it works.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All the cars here comes standard with folding side mirrors. As for the blind spots, the A6 seems to have more of them than my previous car(s). Just want to be more cautious with a baby on board. So no one has any idea if I can order it?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
All the cars here comes standard with folding side mirrors. As for the blind spots, the A6 seems to have more of them than my previous car(s). Just want to be more cautious with a baby on board. So no one has any idea if I can order it?
I don't believe it's a simple "it" per se. You would probably need different side mirrors, rear bumper radar sensors, possibly different wiring harnesses, pillar control switch, software modification, etc. I would imagine the cost would be very steep.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing but a Nice Gadget for Most Folks

Originally Posted by cjc1083

Don't have it on my current A6, but did have it on my S5. While it did function as advertised, I could not bring myself to fully trust it a still always checked my blind spot when changing lanes. For those willing to place their complete trust in technology, its a useful tool. But if you're cking your blind spot anyway, just another expensive gadget.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s4str
Don't have it on my current A6, but did have it on my S5. While it did function as advertised, I could not bring myself to fully trust it a still always checked my blind spot when changing lanes. For those willing to place their complete trust in technology, its a useful tool. But if you're cking your blind spot anyway, just another expensive gadget.
I don't think of it as a replacement to a Visual check. Side Assist is a "supplemental" system just like airbags and should be treated as such.

Seeing the Side Assist indicator is in my view path as I go to make my Visual check.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I don't think of it as a replacement to a Visual check. Side Assist is a "supplemental" system just like airbags and should be treated as such.

Seeing the Side Assist indicator is in my view path as I go to make my Visual check.
That's the way I use it. I still always check my blind spot. Problem is, to check a blind spot one must completely turn their head and take their eyes off the road. So before turning my head I glance at my mirror. If my side assist light is engaged I don't even bother to look at my blind spot to needlessly take my eyes off the road.

Quick Reply: Side assist