Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Sport vs. non Sport ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport vs. non Sport ride height

I keep seeing references to the sport package on the A6 lowering the car by 0.8 inches, yet I do not see that mentioned on Audi web site and actually the overall height of the car is no different with or without sport package. I have had different sales people tell me it is lower and other say no difference in ground clearance. Does anyone know for sure which it is? I get concerned with lower ground clearance because my driveway as a high crest and if the car is too low it could potential scrape. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From member snagitseven on another post (thread 20" wheels on non sport suspension)

With either the 19 or 20 inch sport pkg, in the US, the chassis sits .8" lower. take a look at my sig photo compared to the non sport photo a few posts back.

From autoweek

Sep 14, 2011 – EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: This 2012 Audi A6 ... 10-millimeter-lower ride height and stiffer damping setup) and wide ... color driver-information system ($6,800); 19-inch sport package ...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Again, we have examples of salespeople who know less about the cars they sell than most enthusiasts. Makes you want to cry...

The height spec Audi calls out is always for a standard model. All you need to do is look at the A6 photo gallery photos of cars with and without a Sport package and look at the wheel/fender gaps. You will easily see the difference. Look at my sig photo for a start - I have the Sport pkg.

BTW, this is not something new for the A6. Audi models with an optional sport pkg have had this lower height for years. It's been well documented and visible to the eye. Outside of North America, it's even lower (1.2" as I recall).
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
I get concerned with lower ground clearance because my driveway as a high crest and if the car is too low it could potential scrape. Thanks!
Measure the wheel base and ground clearance of your present car and compare it to the A6's on the dealers lot.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is documented in Audi internal self study programme manual. 0.8 in in North America and elsewhere, 1.2 in for S Line sport package.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words. While the photos are at slightly different angles, ignore the 18" and 20" wheel size differences (the overall tire/wheel diameters are identical) and focus on the two fender gaps.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
I have had different sales people tell me it is lower and other say no difference in ground clearance. Does anyone know for sure which it is?
It would stand to reason that if the Sport Suspension was lower, the ground clearance would decrease by the same amount.

I found one site that mentioned the ground clearance in the specifications. I would assume that the clearance listed was that of a standard sedan.

The ground clearance is 4.6 inches / 117 mm.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Audi-A6-20...o_Sedan/specs/
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess Audi's phrase sport suspension calibration includes lowering. The ones I have seen with Sport Pkg. sure look lower to the road than my non-Sport A6. I might give it the "head crusher test" and see if my huge Teutonic skull fits under an A6 with Sport - it barely does on my non-Sport A6. Ouch!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the risk of getting the front bumper scratched going up or down steep hills when you lower the car? I'm seriously considering the H&R sport spring in which according to paper should lower the front and rear by 1.4" and 1.0" respectively. NJ is famous for small hills like that.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It would stand to reason that if the Sport Suspension was lower, the ground clearance would decrease by the same amount.

I found one site that mentioned the ground clearance in the specifications. I would assume that the clearance listed was that of a standard sedan.

The ground clearance is 4.6 inches / 117 mm.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Audi-A6-20...o_Sedan/specs/
Cool, thanks. My current car is 6.0 inches, so I need to see how much clearance I really need. GF's car looks to be 5.9. I my old Acura looks to be 4.5 and it used to scrape the splash guards if I came up driveway at wrong angle, seeing as I won't have splash guards on the A6 I think I will be fine.

Quick Reply: Sport vs. non Sport ride height