Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Sport vs. non Sport ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
What about the risk of getting the front bumper scratched going up or down steep hills when you lower the car? I'm seriously considering the H&R sport spring in which according to paper should lower the front and rear by 1.4" and 1.0" respectively. NJ is famous for small hills like that.
I would be concerned as well about pull-in or angled parking with a high curb. My non-Sport 2013 A6 goes over every curb I've dared to push it on. Some I just stop way back. With a lower ride height this might scare me.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With the new ride I have to remind myself to keep distance from the curb.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
What about the risk of getting the front bumper scratched going up or down steep hills when you lower the car? I'm seriously considering the H&R sport spring in which according to paper should lower the front and rear by 1.4" and 1.0" respectively. NJ is famous for small hills like that.
I have a pretty steep driveway as well as embankment coming up the hill to my house. No problem with scraping with the sport package. Out of habit from back in the day driving my lowered Boxster, I used to take them at an angle but am fine driving straight ahead.

The other factor to consider is the s-line (prestige) front bumper vs standard. I believe the s-line bumper extends lower and would increase the chances of scraping.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. I have lowered ride height and S Line front bumper...
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keithl
I keep seeing references to the sport package on the A6 lowering the car by 0.8 inches, yet I do not see that mentioned on Audi web site and actually the overall height of the car is no different with or without sport package. I have had different sales people tell me it is lower and other say no difference in ground clearance. Does anyone know for sure which it is? I get concerned with lower ground clearance because my driveway as a high crest and if the car is too low it could potential scrape. Thanks!
Why can't you go into a local Audi dealership and ask to test drive both sport & non-sport A6s; drive them home one after another and see for yourself! You can even tell them that this is what you're concerned with and needs to test them out before determining which to order. Simple enough?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Why can't you go into a local Audi dealership and ask to test drive both sport & non-sport A6s; drive them home one after another and see for yourself! You can even tell them that this is what you're concerned with and needs to test them out before determining which to order. Simple enough?

Good point..try both..return the damaged one and buy the other
Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It would stand to reason that if the Sport Suspension was lower, the ground clearance would decrease by the same amount.

I found one site that mentioned the ground clearance in the specifications. I would assume that the clearance listed was that of a standard sedan.

The ground clearance is 4.6 inches / 117 mm.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Audi-A6-20...o_Sedan/specs/
I would take those published numbers with a grain of salt.

I have the A6 with the sport package and don't scrape coming into my driveway at all (curb and hill). But in my old S60R, i would scrape all the time. I had to pull out at a crawl at a certain angle to prevent any scraping / or limit it to light scraping. yet that same site saws my S60R has a ground clearance of 5" - more than the Audi A6.

So take the numbers with a huge grain of salt. if you want to be sure, test drive one in an area where you would be concerned about scraping
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Grandmother survey with one respondent: I have the Sport package and I have yet to find a driveway that caused my car to scrape in 11k miles. I'm sure I could find one if I try hard enough but it would probably be steep enough to scrape the non-Sport as well. We're only talking about .8" here - not a huge difference to the front approach angle. (And I have the Prestige S-Line bumper which extends a bit over the standard one).
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Grandmother survey with one respondent: I have the Sport package and I have yet to find a driveway that caused my car to scrape in 11k miles. I'm sure I could find one if I try hard enough but it would probably be steep enough to scrape the non-Sport as well. We're only talking about .8" here - not a huge difference to the front approach angle. (And I have the Prestige S-Line bumper which extends a bit over the standard one).
You have just increased my confidence level on getting the h&r spring installed.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ben_aip
I am considering that as I get closer to,pulling the trigger, problem is the dealer giving me best deal right now is like 20 miles away and easy 60+ min round trip. Ideally I wish they offered the 2014 non-sport with 20 inch wheels. I am considering just ordering non-sport and adding wheels after, wondering if anyone purchased wheels from allfactorywheels.com ? They say they are genuine OEM wheels at a bargain price, as mama told me, if it sounds too good to be true.....