Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Squeaky Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Suspension

About six weeks ago, I purchased a new 2013 A6 3.0 with premium package. Shortly after picking it up from the dealer in Alabama, I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the right rear suspension. When I’m driving on smooth pavement, the noise isn’t there. However, when I go over a bump or something that cause a little sway in the rear, the noise begins immediately. I live along the Florida panhandle and the dealer is nearly three hours away. Therefore, I’d prefer to avoid the trek if this is normal. Since this is my first Audi, I don’t have much experience with this brand of vehicle and was hoping someone on the forum could shed some light. Thanks in advance the help.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by punxphil
About six weeks ago, I purchased a new 2013 A6 3.0 with premium package. Shortly after picking it up from the dealer in Alabama, I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the right rear suspension. When I’m driving on smooth pavement, the noise isn’t there. However, when I go over a bump or something that cause a little sway in the rear, the noise begins immediately. I live along the Florida panhandle and the dealer is nearly three hours away. Therefore, I’d prefer to avoid the trek if this is normal. Since this is my first Audi, I don’t have much experience with this brand of vehicle and was hoping someone on the forum could shed some light. Thanks in advance the help.
Not normal. Could be something isn't torqued down properly.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not normal. Could be something isn't torqued down properly.
Could also be a bushing or lubrication issue but not normal.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Could be a shipping block (or portion of one) accidentally left in the rear suspension during the vehicle preparation - they are supposed to remove them once the transporter drops the car off at the dealer. The blocks keep the car from bouncing a lot during the ocean journey and then on the transporter to the dealer. I know of this happening to a former colleague with an A4 a few years ago. Search this site - I think there are pic's of shipping blocks.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about the original dealer you bought it from! Take it to one in Florida, near by you!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not normal, I have sport pkg, 19", look for yellow bump stopper properly mounted & not loose you can visually see them & they are yellow color. But squeaking not normal.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had my 2013 A6 prem + 3.0 for about 2 weeks. Same issue...no squeaking on smooth pavement, but i noticed it on rougher pavement. I plan on having them check it out during the 5k service.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finally found the source of my problem. I went to the dealer today and they took a look. After inspecting the suspension, the service manager told me that a dust boot that's bolted on top of/around the strut came loose. He told me it slid down and was rubbing. The service technician bolted the boot in place and the noise went away. Since I had this problem from day one, this is something that originated at the factory. Makes me wonder what else they failed to secure.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Since both these cars are 2013's we can't blame it on Oktoberfest
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

was this a high pitched squeek or a lower pitched noise (more like crunching)??

I am currently hearings some lower-range "squeeking" at low speeds... wondering what it could be...