Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

standard vs. sport suspension, 18 vs. 19

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standard vs. sport suspension, 18 vs. 19

Looking at a 2013 A6 Prestige--as others have pointed out, 18 inch sport package is out for 2013. Only way to get 18 inch wheels is to forgo sport package.

I had 2 Carreras before and I had low profile 19 inch tires--had 5 blowouts over the course of 4 years!

So 2 questions:
1) thoughts regarding standard suspension vs. sport suspension (all the dealer test cars have sport so I couldn't sample the standard)

2) experience with 18 inch vs. 19 inch wheels

Thx
Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I know this isn't the exact comparison you were looking for but here goes..

I currently have an 2009 A4 with non-sport 18" wheels. I test drove a 2012 A6 with the 19" sport pkg. The ride on the A6 seemed quite a bit less jarring on broken pavement than my A4 over the same roads. I ordered a 2013 19" sport A6. I will get a set of ultra hi performance 19" all seasons though for the winter. Debating whether to go for the second set of wheels or change tires twice a year. Or sell the summers and leave the A/S on all year as on my A4.

When I checked the sidewall height difference on the 18" A4 non-sport vs the A6 19" sport tires, the A6 actually has a bit more rubber. While I didn't do a back to back comparison drive of the two A6's, A6 19" sport vs 18" non-sport, I can attest that the 19" sport is very liveable over the rough stuff. (I didn't try for a deep pothole-blown tire test on my test drive though).
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by texasrad
Looking at a 2013 A6 Prestige--as others have pointed out, 18 inch sport package is out for 2013. Only way to get 18 inch wheels is to forgo sport package.

I had 2 Carreras before and I had low profile 19 inch tires--had 5 blowouts over the course of 4 years!

So 2 questions:
1) thoughts regarding standard suspension vs. sport suspension (all the dealer test cars have sport so I couldn't sample the standard)

Thx
Can you get the 19" wheels with all season tires for 2013? I want the sport package, but dont think I want summer tires (especially since it will probably be this fall before I get the car)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Can you get the 19" wheels with all season tires for 2013? I want the sport package, but dont think I want summer tires (especially since it will probably be this fall before I get the car)
You can arrange for the dealer to do this and workout the cost on that. But you can't do that from the factory.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So 2 questions:

Thx
I have 19" with sport suspension & the ride is firm but not stiff. With many pot holes after Canadian winter no issues with tires. I have a dedicated winter tires 18" but over uneven surfaces & pot holes 19" are fine. Sport suspension gives lot of confidence with sharp turns as chassis is bit lower & on hwy no body roll. Coming from cars you drove I think you would prefer sport & if you have rough winters you can swap with winter tires 18". The only issue I notice is 19" bit noisier I have Goodyear Eagle LS2 not the best. I would still think that standard will be fine & ride is controlled but probably some body roll & lean in sharp turns due to bit higher chassis & softer struts.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went with the non-sport 2012 Prestige which was not easy to find. I did test drive a 19" sport model and I found it to be on the noisy side. I wanted the all season tires and the softer and quieter ride of the 18" tires. I also like the wheels on the non-sport Prestige and the four spoke steering wheel. I have absolutely no regrets but I'm sure many people would find it to be a boring choice. It all depends on what you're looking for.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Shiner Bock
I went with the non-sport 2012 Prestige which was not easy to find. I did test drive a 19" sport model and I found it to be on the noisy side. I wanted the all season tires and the softer and quieter ride of the 18" tires. I also like the wheels on the non-sport Prestige and the four spoke steering wheel. I have absolutely no regrets but I'm sure many people would find it to be a boring choice. It all depends on what you're looking for.
What were your observations between the standard suspension and the sport?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a premium plus sport with 19's and then bought a 2012 prestige with the 18" sport and I noticed a difference between the two. The 18's are super smooth. The 19's were fine, but I'm glad I went with the 18's
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted the 18" sports package, but a car on the lot matched everything i wanted minus that. I settled and I'm actually happy I did. If I were buying all over again, I'd opt out again. It would be a different if I was buying an a4 or 3 series, though.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What were your observations between the standard suspension and the sport?
I didn't drive them back to back. There was a week between driving the different versions so the distinctions I draw rely on my imperfect memory. The 19" Sport was noticeably louder in road noise. The differences in ride and handling were noticeable but weren't night and day to me and seemed to be inversely proportional.

Quick Reply: standard vs. sport suspension, 18 vs. 19