Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Steering defective do not drive Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you pulled codes for your car? If not, that would be the first thing to do. I downloaded the instructions from Ersawin specific to my car (2012 A7) using the one day sub but if you have a A6/A7 (C7) should be close enough. I could send you a link to all my files zipped on my one drive; I had to use multiple files to get to all the instructions to do the repair. I'm not sure how big of an accident you were in or if airbags were deployed. I know there is an electronic control/chip at the battery that can disable starts after larger accidents. If it was a more severe accident, and you haven't filed a claim, I would probably just call my insurance and tell them the car stopped starting after the accident. I'm not sure there is anything to prove. If it has been months since your accident, you are probably SOL but if it happened last week, I don't see what the issue would be.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvfeyW8c6bBikZx3...n6qBg?e=j9j0dR
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Had this just happen to me...For about 2 years ( I know i should have gotten it fixed before it stranded me), I would hear several clicks from the steering lock before the car would start. SOmetimes 1 or 2, sometimes 4 or 5. Car would always start though. On Friday, no clicks, then the dreaded message. I had to have the car towed this morning.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrhgto
Had this just happen to me...For about 2 years ( I know i should have gotten it fixed before it stranded me), I would hear several clicks from the steering lock before the car would start. SOmetimes 1 or 2, sometimes 4 or 5. Car would always start though. On Friday, no clicks, then the dreaded message. I had to have the car towed this morning.
Are you getting it fixed at the dealership? If so, I'd love to know what they quote you/costs. I was able to fix mine from just under $400, plus my time. My audizine post below has the breakdown.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ring-Defective
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering defective do not drive

Hi just received a message saying steering defective do not drive is there anyway to resolve this without going to the dealership?
Old 09-19-2021, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tramaniece
Hi just received a message saying steering defective do not drive is there anyway to resolve this without going to the dealership?
Yes - see post #9? Also in case it helps, I think i received some extended warranty information the last year related to steering. I'm not sure if it was this same issue. I didn't pay any attention because the issue was resolved and I fixed myself.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mv916
I never got a reply on this; maybe it worked on older cars but on my 2012 A7 (C7) it did not. I was able to resolve it on my own. In my case the car worked perfect one day and then wouldn't start the next. With the codes thrown, I ordered a new ignition control lock module from audiusaoemparts.com. I took the steering wheel column apart using the instructions from ersawin. After putting everything back together, I found a company out of the UK that remote code the module for around $150.00 if I remember. I had to by a vas 5054 clone but Audi wanted $450 just to code the module. After the new module was coded to the car, she start right up.

Honestly, I spent more time trying to get up the nerve than actually doing it. Take lots of pictures, of all different directions so you know how to put things back together and do it all in one go if you can. If I had to do it again, I could probably do it in 2 hours or less. The first time through, took me a bit, especially putting it back together but I had a few whiskeys in me and it was pouring rain outside and I kept forgetting one thing or another and having to do it all over (where lots of pictures help).
This is a helpful post. Thanks.
Q: How did you get VCDS to work? Since the car doesn't even switch ON (nevermind starting) my VCDS doesn't pick up any codes and cannot scan either.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When you say the car doesn't switch on, what do you mean? In my example, the car still had power. When I tried to start the car it wouldn't attempt to start but it would "turn on" the electronics and would show the error warning light, if I remember correctly I could listen to radio, etc. I don't use VCDS for my stuff. I use OBDeleven which is similar in basic concept. To my knowledge these devices can't be used for this task. I think you actually have to get the vas 5054 clone. I think the 3rd party I went through has the dealer software and uses that to flash. I can't remember but they gave me a sequence of things that allowed the computer to connect via the vas 5054 device. It was something with hazards or something(i can't remember exactly). Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. Also, I did get an extended warranty doc which I can't find. i'm not sure if it covers this issue or if it was something else. Here is a link to something similar people posted about that goes nowhere but maybe you can use to see what it covers, if it is your issue, and if audi will replace for free under extended warranty: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Steering-Unit
The following users liked this post:
Faithback (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The car has power in that I can open and lock the car. the error message displays and the radio works. But any systems that requires ACC ON does not work. Can't even open and close windows. VCDS requires ACC ON to power up all the modules and then they can be scanned.
I've ressurected my VAS 6154 and am trying to install software now. I has never worked properly, but I'm trying again. It's a clone.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

<--- try this I think it was something like this
Faithback (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The video describes the problem exactly. Will try in a couple hours. Thanks.
mv916 (09-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Steering defective do not drive Vehicle