Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Steering jerking when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to the dealer on Friday and will see what they can do. But this is annoying.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Nope.. That is not what I'm experiencing.. Mine is like...going on a stright line at low spped (30-40mph), then turning the steering wheel is not smooth... Kinda like you need more effort in one second and not the next second...that is how i described it as jerking
Almost sounds like the variable assist is not working smoothly for some reason. It should transition smoothly in effort difference as the speed changes..
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
I'm going to the dealer on Friday and will see what they can do. But this is annoying.
Very interested in your dealer's recommendations. Been experiencing the same issue with my A7. Dealer told me to run at the highest tire load recommendations per the door label. I was running at the "normal" load ratings per the manual. The psi fix did not address the issue. Finally, I had a service tech drive the car on the highway. He noticed the steering was twitchy at high speeds, very difficult to keep on center. He re-aligned the car which seemed to fix the problem. But, I still notice the twitchiness at highway speeds running 38 / 41 psi per the door label. Keep in mind that the steering update only addresses an erroneous error indicator as noted earlier in this thread. Any info would be helpful.

Last edited by BasicSlvr; 11-27-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Very interested in your dealer's recommendations. Been experiencing the same issue with my A7. Dealer told me to run at the highest tire load recommendations per the door label. I was running at the "normal" load ratings per the manual. The psi fix did not address the issue. Finally, I had a service tech drive the car on the highway. He noticed the steering was twitchy at high speeds, very difficult to keep on center. He re-aligned the car which seemed to fix the problem. But, I still notice the twitchiness at highway speeds running 38 / 41 psi per the door label. Keep in mind that the steering update only addresses an erroneous error indicator as noted earlier in this thread. Any info would be helpful.
Now that the alignment has seemed to correct most of the problem, try reducing the tire pressure as recommended in the manual for normal loads. Max pressure in the fronts will result in increased steering sensitivity which could contribute to the "twitchiness". Think about how a tire footprint is decreased with increased tire pressure and vice versa. i.e.: higher tire pressure = smaller footprint = less rubber on the road = less resistance to steering input (or variations in road condition).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Now that the alignment has seemed to correct most of the problem, try reducing the tire pressure as recommended in the manual for normal loads. Max pressure in the fronts will result in increased steering sensitivity which could contribute to the "twitchiness". Think about how a tire footprint is decreased with increased tire pressure and vice versa. i.e.: higher tire pressure = smaller footprint = less rubber on the road = less resistance to steering input (or variations in road condition).
Agreed, the theory makes rational sense. I reverted to the lower "normal" pressures soon after the alignment as a test. But, the twitchiness was still present.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 A7 and same problems with steering. Sometimes feels like it is being pulled slightly, and it is uneven when changing lanes - mushy to the right, jerky to the left. Dealer has no idea, says it is just getting used to the new electro-mechanical steering system.

Anyone else have the Goodyear Eagles? Usually run Michelins, wonder if it's just a bad set of rubber.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont think rubber is the issue here because the jerking will go away after 5 minutes of driving.

Originally Posted by VectorA7
2013 A7 and same problems with steering. Sometimes feels like it is being pulled slightly, and it is uneven when changing lanes - mushy to the right, jerky to the left. Dealer has no idea, says it is just getting used to the new electro-mechanical steering system.

Anyone else have the Goodyear Eagles? Usually run Michelins, wonder if it's just a bad set of rubber.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've noticed this issue soon after I got the car. Both me and my wife have felt this, so at least I know it's not just me being picky It does not seem to happen all the time but is frequent enough to be annoying. As stated, it does go away once the you have driven awhile. It is not speed dependent, I have went straight on the highway and just went down town and felt the same thing. The dealer says they cannot recreate the problem and everything is at spec. I've rotated, inflated, deflated the tires, nothing. I guess it is just an annoying trait of the car. I'll keep complaining and see if anything ever becomes of this.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

One other thing I noticed if you turn the car off and start it again the issue goes away. Strange.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have not seen that rebooting the car (turning it on and off) has made a difference. But if it goes away after driving a bit, then it actually does sound like it could be the tires, which change their characteristics a bit after they warm up.

Does everyone with the problem have Goodyear Eagle LS-2's?

Quick Reply: Steering jerking when turning