Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Steering wheel/column noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Steering wheel/column noise

Who has had this grinding noise when turning? I know some of you have the rubbing/squeaking noise but I am referring to a faint clicking noise like little plastic gears getting stuck.

Mine would make those clicking noises when turning left 90-180 degrees. The dealer replaced the steering column and that noise is gone, but more noise is heard when at almost full lock. I wonder if it's the clock spring?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
Who has had this grinding noise when turning? I know some of you have the rubbing/squeaking noise but I am referring to a faint clicking noise like little plastic gears getting stuck.

Mine would make those clicking noises when turning left 90-180 degrees. The dealer replaced the steering column and that noise is gone, but more noise is heard when at almost full lock. I wonder if it's the clock spring?
Its electric steering assist, no? There are no plastic gears of course. One has to wonder if you are hearing the alternator turning on/off due to some limit not being set correctly or the electric steering motor not ramping assist properly. I suppose you'd feel that in the steering though with some sort of easy/hard feelings when turning the wheel.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the electric steering assist part of the steering column? The dealer replace the column last week and the noise is still there when you turn the wheel at past 180 degrees and back and forth quickly.

The turning of the steering wheel feels linear. There are no easy/hard feelings.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
Is the electric steering assist part of the steering column? The dealer replace the column last week and the noise is still there when you turn the wheel at past 180 degrees and back and forth quickly.

The turning of the steering wheel feels linear. There are no easy/hard feelings.

The steering column can be and usually is separate from the motor. In those cases, the electric motor is mounted to the steering rack and actuates something similar to a jackscrew to effect turning based on torque inputs from the steering wheel and speed of the car. If it mostly happens when you aren't moving, that's when the force created by the motor is greatest because its difficult to turn the wheels when the car isn't moving.

Since this is my first Audi, I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know the specific systems they use and don't have a repair manual for it, so my answer is "maybe". Perhaps someone on this list knows more about the specific systems Audi uses, but, I'd think replacement of the steering column is barking up the wrong tree.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
The steering column can be and usually is separate from the motor.

Since this is my first Audi, I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know the specific systems they use and don't have a repair manual for it, so my answer is "maybe". Perhaps someone on this list knows more about the specific systems Audi uses, but, I'd think replacement of the steering column is barking up the wrong tree.
I believe that you are correct in your assumption about the electric steering assist not being part of the steering column. This chart shows that it is at the end of the steering column and located on the firewall.

Name:  steering_zpsmoedmoto.jpg
Views: 13131
Size:  64.4 KB