Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Steering Wheel And Rim questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ordered the heated steering wheel option. I was wondering whether it will the holes in the grippy part of the wheel - the demos I've seen had theses and so does our q7 sline. I'm hoping as it's heated that it will be nice like on the d4.

The car is in production stage 1 as of last night so hopefully will find out in a couple of weeks for sure.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavman
For anyone in the know:

On the Pricing & Options Guide that was posted last week it shows 4 sport package options, 3 of which say that they have a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles (the 18" for Premium only, the 19" and the 20"). However, the 18" Sport Package that is optionable on a "Premium Plus" or "Prestige" edition A6 says it has a 4-spoke multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles.

My question is if anyone thinks that perhaps Audi has made a mistake on the sheet and that all of the sport packages come with the 3-spoke steering wheel, rather than having one with a 4-spoke steering wheel?

Other question is can the 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles be heated? The demo at our dealer has the 19" sport package but does not have the heated steering wheel so I wasn't sure if that was for technical reasons or because they did not option the demo with the cold weather package. I recall that BMW M-design wheels could not be heated

Finally, does anyone have a link (or photo) of the 18" 5-double-spoke-design wheels that come with the 18" Sport Package? Without the A6 configurator working yet it is difficult to find those rims.

Thanks in advance for any help..
Here are the wheels offered for the US version of the 2012 A6 in one picture.

For me it will be the 20's (if the ride is not too harsh) or I'll go after market with something from these guys: http://hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The a6 rims are quite boring. Only rim I'm excited about is the 20.

The need a better looking high polish 19.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is hope for a heated, 3-spoke Sports Steering Wheel for those of us that have ordered one of the Sport Packages AND the Cold Weather Package.

While not definitive, I started a thread on the A7 forum to see if anyone of the new A7 owners has a heated, 3-spoke wheel.

Answers seem to confirm, that at least on the A7, a heated, sport wheel is available. Hopefully the fact that the A6 and the A7 are so closely related means that the A6 owners should also get that steering wheel.

Here is a link to the thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2808954
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey - that's great news! Not surprising that the dealers are waffling on it when I asked them. I'm going to ask again...

I did finally start poking around for some pictures of the differences since my memory wasn't so good. Essentially round vs obtuse for the airbag. I'm thinking I like the round 3-spoke the more I see it. Seems to not cover up the buttons as much.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by basf_audio
Hey - that's great news! Not surprising that the dealers are waffling on it when I asked them. I'm going to ask again...

I did finally start poking around for some pictures of the differences since my memory wasn't so good. Essentially round vs obtuse for the airbag. I'm thinking I like the round 3-spoke the more I see it. Seems to not cover up the buttons as much.

Here is a thread where the first post has a picture of the heated, 3-Spoke Sports Steering Wheel. It doesn't have the airbag in it but if you look closely at the set of buttons on the right of the center area there is a button that has a little steering wheel with some "heat" waves on it.

I am optimistic that this will be similar to the wheel we will receive.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...steering+wheel

Sorry to redirect to a different website. Hope that is ok with the moderators. If not, please feel free to remove this post.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't think we will be able to get any more definitive than this email exchange between my dealer and a woman at "Audi Distribution Support" where she CONFIRMS that any car ordering a sport package AND the cold weather package will receive a Heated, 3-Spoke Sports Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters.

From my dealer to Audi Corporate:

"Second, with the cold weather package on these 2012’s, will cars ordered with a sport package have a 3 or 4 spoke steering wheel and will it be heated?* I can’t find any info on this subject.* Thanks for any help."

And the reply from Audi:

"The combination of sport and cold weather packages will result in a multifunction heated 3-spoke sport steering wheel with shift paddles."

I have not included the woman's name but this is an Audi employee in the "Audi Distribution Advocate, OMD Business Services" department.

Feel confident in saying we should get the heated, 3-spoke.

Thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Confirmed this afternoon from my dealer as well...

Cold Weather Package + Sport Package = Heated 3-Spoke steering wheel...

Whew!