Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI high mileage reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi 6 I live also live in Summerlin Las Vegas, I bought 14 Q5 TDI in December 2013 Audi Las Vegas. Love the car, best German car I’ve had. Declined the fix and very happy. Use it primarily for 2-3 x month driving 15 to California. Strong running power going up and down mountains Never need downshifting passing on any incline. 80-90 mph with 32-33 mpg. Reliability excellent 104000 miles.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Like my 14 but the Diesel fix has ruined my MPG severely

Originally Posted by Audi-6
hi. im looking at a 2014 tdi with 99k miles and ive been digging all day. those with higher mileage ones, how you guys' tdi's been holding up? from research, there's "high pressure fuel pump" issue that's pretty significant. what else?
i was getting 40-45 MPG highway. The last fix with moving the O2 sensor dropped that to 33 highway. My TDI no longer has any mileage advantage to a gas engine. I just posted this yesterday but still waiting for replies. Otherwise love the car. Lane departure is older tech than the cameras of today (my new VW is much better) but still works ok.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 128K on 2015 (with tune)

I've got just over 128k on my 2015. Had the emissions fix done at 95k and didn't like the way it drove, so I got a Malone ECU update shortly thereafter, which made a huge difference. I flashed it back to stock at about 113k to get the O2 sensor and DPF done, then went back to the aftermarket tune. No issues since then.

I think the only non-wear and tear issues I've had are the driver's side blind spot sensor which was fixed under warranty and a wheel bearing replacement at ~90k. Great car! If only I could get an A6 Allroad with the 3.0 TDI I'd be all over that, otherwise I plan to run it for several more years if possible.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lucked out and got a 2014 TDI Premium Plus with 28K miles (sold as new in 2016). After a year and a half of ownership we've put about 20K miles on it. So far we've had an emissions sensor go out that Audi replaced under extended Dieselgate warranty. After that repair, a "rat" supposedly chewed the wiring for another sensor (thinking our Audi dealer is shady) and we had to do an insurance claim for animal damage, costing us the $500 deductible, so that was a $600 out of pocket repair.

There's also a fuel filter that NEEDS to be replaced every 25000-30000 miles. I've spoke with other TDI owners that said this is the key to longevity. Part cost about $90, and installation was about $200 (I didn't want to do that myself because it involves priming the pump and working with raw diesel fuel). It's located under the front passenger side of the car and requires you to remove the body panels.

We just had a rear passenger wheel bearing go out at 45K miles. Changed it this weekend- it's a DIY job but you HAVE to have the right tools (especially a 12mm triple square bit!).

Oil changes are done at the deal by an extractor, so I bought one for home. Can do an oil change in 15 minutes It takes 7 qts of 0w-40 oil (in the US), which is quite a bit, but the oil filter is inexpensive (I like MANN filters).

Other than that, it's a solid cruiser. Took it on a trip cross country and we were getting 700+ miles per tank. DEF fluid needs refilled every 5000-8000 miles (the car will tell you when it's low). Audi will give you free DEF fluid, but it's so cheap I don't bother and just refill it myself (a lot of gas stations are now carrying DEF at the pump, which is cool!). Just follow the owner's manual for scheduled service and you should get 200-300K miles out of it easy.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did the Malone ECU update increase your MPG? How much? I am in Colorado and we have Kerma TDI who says 10% better mileage and increased torgue. Is there any downside to this other than resorting to stock if I have to go to the dealer for another warranty repair? Do you beieve that 10% boost in mileage is realistic or better?

I drove another A6 TDI (Post fix) today and discovered mine is working as spec. The test drive resulted in the same numbers on the highway (38 at 65 MPG). Once you hit 75 plan on 31-33. Does that seem right?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reliability and mpg

I have a pre fix 3.0 TDI. 105,000 miles. I use it primarily to travel 600 miles 2-3 times a month. Here out west @ 80-90 + mph. I do not use it as a daily driver. It’s quick fast and can get in and out with no hesitation getting 33 mpg. I took risk of not getting anything changed and passed on the second installment of Audi cash and extra warranty because this car I didn’t want to let any dealer change anything whatsoever. It not only looks good for 7 years old inside and out but runs like new. I change oil religiously at 5000 miles and do all service intervals at 10000 miles. To keep a car this long is not normal for me at all as I usually get tired of the vehicle way before this mileage. I’m on my third set tires. 2 complete set of GOOD YEAR EXCELLENCE and currently run BF Goodrich G force 20 inch. I’d recommend both tires as mileage for me on Goodyear was exceceptional. BFGoodrich now have about 15000 miles and tread look fantastic. Yes I would definitely buy another TDI. BUT, if I could ever get a pre fix low mileage 3.0 TDI I’d snap it up on a heart beat. I truly believe a diesel is best served driving as a long distance runner NOT a daily drive to the Costco.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snowchaser
Did the Malone ECU update increase your MPG? How much? I am in Colorado and we have Kerma TDI who says 10% better mileage and increased torgue. Is there any downside to this other than resorting to stock if I have to go to the dealer for another warranty repair? Do you beieve that 10% boost in mileage is realistic or better?

I drove another A6 TDI (Post fix) today and discovered mine is working as spec. The test drive resulted in the same numbers on the highway (38 at 65 MPG). Once you hit 75 plan on 31-33. Does that seem right?
Fyi, if you have an ECU tune, don't think for one minute that 'resorting to stock' does in fact reset it to stock. When the dealer plugs it in for obd, the tech and Audi (where the data is sent) sees the ecu's been compromised. If you need service related to the tdi update, well there's going to be a problem honoring the tdi warranty. I think you know this. .02
Old 09-30-2020, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

yeah you tune you throw away the warranty.. google TD1 flag, there is no way to flash through the diagnostic port that wont throw the TD1.

I'm in a Q7 but fuel economy went up pretty well, towing went from 12mpg to 14mpg, city went from 19-20mpg to 22-24mpg, highway went from 24-26mpg to 28-30mpg but I did more modifications than just a tune.. I straight piped it all.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

New to the page but I’ve got 123k on mine and only an issue with the cat that was replaced under warranty. I bought it at 72k last November so I’ve given it a good run of miles. Dreadlocks if you have time some day I’d love to pick your brain on things that I need to play with on this thing I’m local to Denver. I’m looking at the Malone stage 2 shortly.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

sounds like you might not have a ton of warranty left, you can check at https://www.audidiesellookup.com/

yeah I can answer any questions you got on it, We've got a Malone dealer here called Apikol I went through.

Quick Reply: TDI high mileage reliability?