Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire life and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire life and replacement

I have 20,000 miles on my 2012 A6 withe the original Pirelli 255/35R20 97Y tires.

I'm taking a trip and am considering new tires. However, only a couple of my tires look worn.

Should I get a new set? How many miles to you get out of your Pirelli tires?

If I get a new set, should I get OEM tires?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scottphillip
If you get new tires depends on how far the trip is going to be. 20K miles out of OEM tires sounds like you might be close. The pair that looks worn might be a problem if you're planning on high miles and high speed. Tread depth seems to go quick when a tire is near the end.

You could get OEM tires. They are a compromise of low cost, tread life and performance. Many people buy name brand tires that better suit their driving style and their local climate.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by scottphillip
I have 20,000 miles on my 2012 A6 withe the original Pirelli 255/35R20 97Y tires.

I'm taking a trip and am considering new tires. However, only a couple of my tires look worn.

There really aren't any "OEM" tires - just minor variations, if even that, done for Audi by the tire manfs. If you're considering replacing all the Pirellis, go for another brand, either summer or ultra high performance all-season tires. Almost anything else will last longer and ride quieter than those awful Pirellis. (I sold mine right after I bought the car). There are plenty of AW forum threads with tire recommendations for the A6 - do a forum search. Also, be sure to rotate the next set every 7-10K miles so all wear evenly.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When my original Pirelli is done I'll switch to Michelin PSS. These Pirelli are pretty crappy.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I switched to an All Weather Ultra High Performance Tire, the Michelin A/S-3 (I drive in Snow part of the year). I believe you can't go wrong with any of the Michelin tires, such as the PSS. Search the ratings in Tire Rack.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also put Michelin PS A/S 3's on my car and the traction difference is night and day. These tires are the best thing that I have done to my car so far. With a 45,000 mile tread life warranty and use in cold weather they are fantastic. The only time you will see any difference between the PS A/S 3 and the PSS is if you track your car....and even then it is only at the limit that you will notice a difference.

Replace all 4 and put on Michelin PS A/S 3
Old 05-12-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyncris
I also put Michelin PS A/S 3's on my car and the traction difference is night and day. These tires are the best thing that I have done to my car so far. With a 45,000 mile tread life warranty and use in cold weather they are fantastic. The only time you will see any difference between the PS A/S 3 and the PSS is if you track your car....and even then it is only at the limit that you will notice a difference.

Replace all 4 and put on Michelin PS A/S 3
If you have the 255/53/20 would you say there is a noticeable difference in the road noise? I just had a set of A/S 3s installed and am not too happy. The traction and handling is great but there is still tons of road noise and the tires seem very firm and unforgiving. Wondering if it's possible I could have gotten a bad set??
Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will add another vote for the Michelin AS/3 and if you have Quattro you should replace all 4, Audi likes all 4 tires very close in diameter and having two at one size and two at another may not be good, I thought the manual mentions this too. I say all 4 tires should be same brand and model no age.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put Continental DWS on all four (20" rims) at about 20,000 miles
and am very happy with performance, noise and winter traction.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glacier6
If you have the 255/53/20 would you say there is a noticeable difference in the road noise? I just had a set of A/S 3s installed and am not too happy. The traction and handling is great but there is still tons of road noise and the tires seem very firm and unforgiving. Wondering if it's possible I could have gotten a bad set??
Mine are 255/40/19
I have not noticed any road noise at all. About the only thing that I disliked was that the gas mileage went down .75 mpg on average.....but with tires that stick like the Pilot Super Sports and have a 45,000 warranty, I will take the minor mileage hit.
I also feel like the tires give me a little better feedback through the wheel, I guess others could interpret that as firm and unforgiving. Maybe you should consider running your suspension in comfort mode if it feels harsh.

Quick Reply: Tire life and replacement