Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tires - Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires - Nitrogen

When I took delivery of my A6, the tires had been filled with nitrogen by the dealer. Im about to swap my summer Pirellis for a set of all season Bridgestone RE970AS. The shop that will swap the tires does not offer nitrogen.

I've read a bunch of stuff that leads me to believe that nitrogen generally is a marketing ploy with little real benefit, but before I brush it aside as necessary, I thought I would check here first. My biggest concern is whether NOT filling with nitrogen might adversely affect the function of TPMS especially here at altitude in Colorado where temperature swings are dramatic (a little less stable tire pressure I suspect).

Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Short answer: there is no perceptible benefit to having nitrogen only in your tires. Dry air is already 78% nitrogen.

Long answer:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...instead-of-air
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

It's only a placebo. An extra 22% more nitrogen isn't going to provide benefit to anyone except the guys selling it.

Now, using helium is a different story. It will make your car lighter resulting in improved handling in the corners and provide a much softer ride. Your car will seem to just float on a cloud down the highway. (Note: A side effect is car occupants may talk in a much higher "Donald Duck" pitch).
Not recommended in tunnels or on slippery surfaces.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
When I took delivery of my A6, the tires had been filled with nitrogen by the dealer. Im about to swap my summer Pirellis for a set of all season Bridgestone RE970AS. The shop that will swap the tires does not offer nitrogen.

I've read a bunch of stuff that leads me to believe that nitrogen generally is a marketing ploy with little real benefit, but before I brush it aside as necessary, I thought I would check here first. My biggest concern is whether NOT filling with nitrogen might adversely affect the function of TPMS especially here at altitude in Colorado where temperature swings are dramatic (a little less stable tire pressure I suspect).

Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know the benefits of Nitrogen VS regular air, but my dealer does the same thing.

They told me that if I have to put in regular air or get a new set of tires, that I can come back and they will Re-Fill my tires with Nitrogen.

You should see if your dealer will do the same for you.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's only a placebo. An extra 22% more nitrogen isn't going to provide benefit to anyone except the guys selling it.

Now, using helium is a different story. It will make your car lighter resulting in improved handling in the corners and provide a much softer ride. Your car will seem to just float on a cloud down the highway. (Note: A side effect is car occupants may talk in a much higher "Donald Duck" pitch).
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pretty much what I had concluded.

Wonder what it would cost me to have the tires mounted by my dealer at my 5K service?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mnsnwbrdr
Short answer: there is no perceptible benefit to having nitrogen only in your tires. Dry air is already 78% nitrogen.

Long answer:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...instead-of-air
The problem with that link is they only argue the fact that your tires wont lose any air through your sidewalls in a comparison between air and nitrogen. They dont talk about expansion at all.

For every 10 degrees of weather change, you get 1lb of pressure change. Say you fill up your tires(cold of course)on a nice sunny 80degree day to a hypothetical 34lbs. If you dont check your tires again until its winter and a nice blustery 30 degrees out, your tires will have lost pressure accordingly bringing them down to 29lbs based on the principle.

However, because nitrogen doesnt get effected by these temperature properties, your tires wont drop from the original inflated pressure. You wont have to spend as much time checking on a monthly basis that your tires are inflated properly based on the outside temperature.

Also, the pressure that you filled up your tires(when cold) stay that pressure regardless how hard you drive. So if you want the contact patch to stay the same at a certain pressure, it will.

That is the benefit to putting nitrogen in your tires.

Last edited by HyperS4; 10-12-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
The problem with that link is they only argue the fact that your tires wont lose any air through your sidewalls in a comparison between air and nitrogen. They dont talk about expansion at all.

For every 10 degrees of weather change, you get 1lb of pressure change. Say you fill up your tires(cold of course)on a nice sunny 80degree day to a hypothetical 34lbs. If you dont check your tires again until its winter and a nice blustery 30 degrees out, your tires will have lost pressure accordingly bringing them down to 29lbs based on the principle.

However, because nitrogen doesnt get effected by these temperature properties, your tires wont drop from the original inflated pressure. You wont have to spend as much time checking on a monthly basis that your tires are inflated properly based on the outside temperature.

Also, the pressure that you filled up your tires(when cold) stay that pressure regardless how hard you drive. So if you want the contact patch to stay the same at a certain pressure, it will.

That is the benefit to putting nitrogen in your tires.
Expansion/contraction is exactly why I have nitrogen in my cars and bike. I know I won't be futzing with adding air just because it's cooler today than it was yesterday.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Notorious Tech
Expansion/contraction is exactly why I have nitrogen in my cars and bike. I know I won't be futzing with adding air just because it's cooler today than it was yesterday.
I use it too, but I only get the 78% pure variety. It's easier to find.

Quick Reply: Tires - Nitrogen