Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

" Audi is lame for trying to make a proprietary system that doesn't allow us to use our own SIM' for data "

Well, no. I think what you're not seeing, and from what I've been able to find out, snagit has this wrong as well, is that T-Mobile and AT&T have moved to different systems and they are only "compatible" up to 2G service on data.

To make that worse, AT&T is discontinuing their 2G networks starting in 2016 or 2017, and they've already stopped selling some devices (like the Garmin tracker) that use the 2G network, because of this.

So you're probably "required" to use a T-Mob SIM, however you get it, because Audi issuing a T-Mob specific 3G/4G (not LTE, but plain fake 4G) data service for the MMI. And if you are using your own SIM and not Audi's plan, it may very well be using T-Mob's 2G service, not even 3G data.

None of the cell carriers openly discusses this stuff and many of their staff even get it wrong. I just went through this with T-Mob, and got a call back from their CEO's office last week apologizing about it.

Icing on the cake is that there is no true 4G service in the US, what is often called "4G-ish" doesn't even meet the ITU standards for 3G, the ITU issued new standards in a hurry to block a massive class action suit in the US about 2 years ago. And while our 4G/LTE is really 4G/LTE, the carriers are using different bands and frequencies, incompatible with each other AND with international bands as well.

Pick your device, pick your plan, you can't swappie-swappie if you want more than 2G service on anything these days unless you have picked very very carefully from a rare few choices.

That's supposed to change in a few years, with an upcoming FCC auction for "common access" in yet another new band. You can bet the industry will find a way to charge extra for that, too.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
" Audi is lame for trying to make a proprietary system that doesn't allow us to use our own SIM' for data "

Well, no. I think what you're not seeing, and from what I've been able to find out, snagit has this wrong as well, is that T-Mobile and AT&T have moved to different systems and they are only "compatible" up to 2G service on data.
Not sure I'm necessarily wrong. The latest gen cellular iPad Air is using unisex, multiband frequencies which is why my T-Mobile free data sim is working as I write this with my "AT&T" iPad in LTE, 3G HSPA+ (4G) or 2G Edge, depending on signal strength and location. Apple may call a celluar versioned iPad "AT&T" "Verizon" or "T-Mobile" out of the box but with a new sim card, they are interchangeable. This would support the hypothesis that one of the reasons T-Mobile is offering the 200 mb free data tablet program is to attract more customers from other carriers, i.e. AT&T and Verizon.

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/22/one-ipa...s-new-tablets/

iPad Air cellular specs:
  • UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900 MHz)
  • LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-02-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The confusion is because AT&T sims only work in the MMI in the 2G band, but Tmobile SIM cards DO work on 3G bands on IPads (regardless if they are AT&T or Verizon)
Regarding A6ninja's SIM card still working with the MMI, just like I posted in post 66 with AudiA4B6us sim, my guess is the Tmobile system sees existing customers (post paid) differently than pre paid customers like me.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

snagit-
You've got a point there. Some Apple products, when bought directly from Apple, support multiple carriers and they are usually not the same as "the same" device bought from a carrier. (Slightly different model numbers from different sources.)
Devices bought directly from the Google Play Store, i.e. "developer's edition" also often support multiple carriers when "the same" phone doesn't when bought from the carriers.

There's all sorts of fun and games that they play, in order to confuse the public and maximize profits.

What's in which specific Audi (model & year) and what it can or can't support...I don't know. Heck, T-Mob couldn't even tell me how to get the "free 200MB for tablets" plan that they offer. Laptop, sure. Phone, sure. Tablet? Uh, gee...

But that's OK, just try BUYING a tablet, with cellular ability, without buying it branded and locked for and from one carrier. (Like AT&T, who will gladly sell you a two year old version of the Note 10, but don't carry the 2014 model yet. Anywhere at all.)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Redd, are you sure about that? My understanding is any non-contract iPad Air (w/cellular) purchased anywhere will have the same universal capabilites. The only distinction by model number for that carrier is the sim they come with. Purchase an iPad Air (or unlocked iPhone 5c/5s) from an AT&T store and it can can be switched to Verizon or T-Mobile (I think you have to visit a Verizon store to get the iPad and sim registered but activating a T-Mobile sim is much simpler). I believe Sprint is the only major U.S. carrier that won't provide their sim for a non-Sprint iPad model number. Which is kind of a head-scratcher as they lose the ability to switch a customer's business away from the other carriers. I'm not sure about other countries' carriers.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Redd, are you sure about that? My understanding is any non-contract iPad Air (w/cellular) purchased anywhere will have the same universal capabilites. The only distinction by model number for that carrier is the sim they come with. Purchase an iPad Air (or unlocked iPhone 5c/5s) from an AT&T store and it can can be switched to Verizon or T-Mobile (I think you have to visit a Verizon store to get the iPad and sim registered but activating a T-Mobile sim is much simpler). I believe Sprint is the only major U.S. carrier that won't provide their sim for a non-Sprint iPad model number. Which is kind of a head-scratcher as they lose the ability to switch a customer's business away from the other carriers. I'm not sure about other countries' carriers.
The only difference between an ATT iPad 4th gen and a Verizon IPad 4th gen is the LTE frequencies.
But now the iPad Air and the iPad mini with retina have the same frequencies enabled.

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/22/one-ipa...s-new-tablets/
Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Verizon will only activate devices that are registered in their database which means they have to be sold originally as Verizon device. Verizon LTE devices have to be carrier unlocked per FCC regulation, so any Verizon LTE device will work with other carriers. Verizon devices also used to support more bands. ATT/TM and Sprint devices are usually carrier locked with ATT unlocking devices any time when they are paid off, TM unlocking devices after 60 days and Sprint never unlocking devices. Older ATT devices will not work in 4G/3G on TM's network (and vice versa) because TM was using a different band as return channel. That's the only reason why the Audi MMI will not do 3G on the ATT network. Now with the "refarming" that TM is doing in metro areas they are adding the same band as ATT to allow their customers to use older ATT devices and still get 3G/4G speeds.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

AudiA4, tablets appear to be looked upon differently than phones by the carriers and unlike most phones, all LTE iPads are sold unlocked to begin with. Confirmed reports in the U.S. show that while the process may be different with each carrier, other than trying to change to Sprint, there is no problem with moving to and from Verizon, ATT or T-Mobile with the iPad Air (or I would think any non-telephone tablet with compatible, multiple frequencies).

Here's a post of someone changing an ATT iPad Air to Verizon last November right after it was released (it might be an easier process now):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...01&postcount=1
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I just went through the process of getting the "free 200mb for life" which was a nightmare because nobody at t-mobile knows what plan or SIM to get.

Anyway, I ordered a nano SIM starter kit for On Demand broadband Internet which is $10 a month but t-mobile customers get a $10 discount which makes it free. The SIM came activated but my Verizon iPad Air could not connect to the Internet even though it showed t-mobile LTE with 5 bars. Turns out that the On Demand SIM has to be linked to a device before it starts working. The solution was to go to Settings/Cellular/View Account and set up a new profile (it didn't like the ID and password that I use for the my.t-mobile.com site). After creating the account and restarting the iPad I got the 200MB/30day MI Starter Data package which is free after the discount. The On Demand packages do not allow data usage at 2G speeds after the initial data is used up which means no data after the initial 200mb have been used. That being said, I haven't tried the nano SIM in the Audi yet (can't find my SIM adapter and don't want the nano SIM to drop into the MMI) but activating the SIM in the first place might be the issue. And the 200mb free plan is for tablets only.

t-mobile will not allow using a phone SIM in a broadband device which means an iPhone 5S nano SIM will not work in an iPad Air. But this seems to be limited to devices (IMEIs) that they know are broadband internet devices. I have a full size SIM that I use in an iPhone 3GS and that works in the Audi MMI. As additional phone line that's only $10 per month with 500mb high speed included, after 500mb it's 2G speed which is still as fast as AT&T as long as the area is covered by t-mobile. I also got a Mobile Broadband SIM which is $20/month - $10 discount = $10/month, good for 500mb highspeed and 2G after that. That's what I use in the MMI right now.
I guess this is an old post, but what a nightmare.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6ninja
I just got a new(used) 2013 A6. I was an existing T-mobile customer so I called and said I wanted to add a new data line(knew nothing about the free 200mb) - Tmobile Rep tells me about the free promotion and sends me 2 SIM cards. One large, one micro. He tells me to call when I receive them to activate them, and DO NOT activate them online in a phone or tablet. He was a really cool kid and I could sense what he was doing was shady, and I loved it. I get the SIM' a few days later and call the tmobile activation number he gave me. First question out of their mouth is "whats the device IMEI that you will use the SIM with?" - I see right through this and realize they want to attach it to a device. I tell them its for my car, they say "let me connect you with our Audi Connect reps" - Knowing that would result in Audi's ridiculous fees I told them I don't want to talk to the Audi reps. I then played dumb and told the guy that I had ordered a tablet but had not yet received it. I told him to activate the SIM so I could use it in my car in the mean time - and amazingly he did. Therefore, I have no IMEI attached to the data SIM. I also got him to bump me up to the 500mb a month for free for being a loyal customer. So now I have 500mb of free data for my Audi until the end of time.

P.S. Its been 48 hours and I am still banging away with data in the MMI..

Audi is lame for trying to make a proprietary system that doesn't allow us to use our own SIM' for data. I paid 60K for the car, do you really need to nickel and dime me so I can see some buildings in 3D on google maps? Punks...
UPDATE:

Ok so my Nav and Google search stopped working yesterday. I called t-mobile and asked why. They said I most likely ate up the 200mb (they didn't upgrade me to 500mb after all) in those 3 days time. He confirmed however that he did see my SIM on the network when it was plugged into the A6 and that it SHOULD be working. I then took the SIM and put it in an old phone and attempted to search a webpage. That resulted in being forced to a t-mobile page to purchase a data package. I purchased a 3gb package over the phone with the rep for one month to see if that was indeed the issue.

Once I purchased the package, I then put the SIM back in the old phone and attempted to browse. It now forced me to a new Tmobile page where it attempted to make me create a "Mobile Management Account" Obviously, I didn't do that and immediately removed the SIM from the phone and placed it in the A6. It worked flawlessly. Its also much faster to load the maps and results than it was with the free 200mb. The rep confirmed that the SIM was not and would not get tied down to any one device and I would be able to move the SIM from the car, to the phone, to a tablet etc. So far that has been true. HOWEVER - When the SIM is placed in any tablet, phone etc - It will not allow me to browse - it only forces me to a page to create a Mobile Management Account, but it works great in the A6.

So the question is, can I really have used up 200mb in 3 days?? I did a total of 5 google searches and ran Google Maps at all times, for what I would guess was a total of 100 miles. At this rate, 3gb would last me 2 weeks. Do you guys think this could be accurate? Unfortunately, I cannot view my data usage as the rep told me it takes 72 hours to update a viewable data usage chart on recent use. Obviously once I can view the data usage of those 3 days I will report back.

I am assuming if eating up the 200mb in 3 days is true, this must be the same thing that happened to Feralc? However, wouldn't it then reset itself each month with a fresh 200mb? The rep did confirm that once you use up the free 200mb the service stops responding as they hope you will buy a data plan - which in my case worked...

Quick Reply: Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!